The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'I'm in charge here': Mountie shuts down family soccer game

nux4lyfe

'I'm in charge here': Mountie shuts down family soccer game
A Surrey family that was kicked off a soccer field for not having a permit is questioning why they were targeted.

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Saturday, July 4, 2015 1:03PM EDT

Soccer lovers in Surrey B.C. may be thinking twice before playing in public parks, after a family soccer game was brought to an abrupt end by police who kicked them off for not having a permit.

Satnam Singh Pawer said he and others were playing soccer near an elementary school when a bylaw officer called the RCMP to help boot them from the city field.

In a heated exchange that was caught on camera, the RCMP officer told Singh his family would need a permit to continue playing on city property.

Photos
image.png

Satnam Singh Pawer and his family play soccer at a park in Surrey, B.C.

image.jpg

A heated exchange between a family and police was captured on camera after the family was told they need a permit to continue playing on the property in Surrey, B.C.

In the video, she is seen clapping her hands and saying, "Listen to me, I’m in charge here today. So today, you will pick up your cones. You will go home."

When Pawer and others protest, the RCMP officer tells them to make a formal complaint to the city.

When they ask if the rule only applies to the one field, the bylaw officer says, "It is for all the city parks, sir."

The video ends with the men taking down the case file number and angrily asking for the officers’ names so they can make a complaint.

Pawar and his relatives say the confrontation was frustrating, and that it upset his ten-year-old son.

"Why not we can play? We were playing with kids," said Amandeep Singh Power, a family member who was there at the time. "(Pawer's son) still thinks we’re doing something wrong, something illegal."

Owen Croy, Surrey's manager of parks, said the city encourages families to use the facilities.

"The City of Surrey welcomes families and their kids to recreate and play games in our parks. That’s what they’re there for."

But he also said the officer was not entirely incorrect. Official games do technically need permits, but families playing informal games should be allowed to use the space as long as it’s free.

"The bylaw officer actually followed the letter of the bylaw, however, perhaps a bit more discretion could have been used," Croy said.

For Pawer, though, the clarification comes too late.

In a city known for its high crime rates, he said the city should be encouraging kids to stay on the fields, rather than on the streets.

Don't worry drug dealers, gangsters and crack heads,You guys are safe! The Police already have their hands full with these soccer playing criminals...

*Video in link.

The RCMP officer did not shut down the family soccer game someone who lives near the field called the park officer to enforce a bylaw that says you can only use the park fields with a permit. The guys in the video probably didn't listen to her so she called in the RCMP and they continue to not listen anyone and talk over them and that when she says I'm in charge here and tells them to take it up with their city council or whatever.

The person who called in was probably a soccer mom who complains about the fields being in poor quality while their child plays and blames people like the ones int he video for ruining them. RCMP officer is just simply enforcing a bylaw that's their job,

Not only was this a severe miscommunication, it was also a lack of judgement. The bylaw officer should have realized that this was not an organized club or team the moment she saw kids that were also playing.

Surrey is an absolute gong-show and I'm glad I no longer live in that cesspool.

lol, what a joke. some bylaw officer on some power trip with nothing better to do.

Nah if you watch the video they ask if its just this park and she says no its ALL parks and then they pointed to another park and said if we go over there will you kick us off that field too? and she said no. So obviously someone who leaves around the park called her in and bitched.

Not only was this a severe miscommunication, it was also a lack of judgement. The bylaw officer should have realized that this was not an organized club or team the moment she saw kids that were also playing.

Surrey is an absolute gong-show and I'm glad I no longer live in that cesspool.

It doesn't matter you're not allowed to use the park fields without permits a lot of municipalities do that it's not just surrey.

Imagine your a hockey team and the ice is constantly in bad condition because idiots just go out on the ice when no one is using it and chip it up and ruin the ice or whatever. It's the same with park fields baseball, soccer, whatever play on those fields and I am sure there certain people are not happen with the quality of the fields so if they see people using them that don't have permits they call it in and complain.

It doesn't matter you're not allowed to use the park fields without permits a lot of municipalities do that it's not just surrey.

Did you completely miss this part of the story?

"The City of Surrey welcomes families and their kids to recreate and play games in our parks. That’s what they’re there for."
But he also said the officer was not entirely incorrect. Official games do technically need permits, but families playing informal games should be allowed to use the space as long as it’s free.

What kind of fascist country do you think you live in that you can't play sports in a public park?

Imagine your a hockey team and the ice is constantly in bad condition because idiots just go out on the ice when no one is using it and chip it up and ruin the ice or whatever. It's the same with park fields baseball, soccer, whatever play on those fields and I am sure there certain people are not happen with the quality of the fields so if they see people using them that don't have permits they call it in and complain.

Oh, now the family playing soccer in a public park are idiots?

You're being completely nonsensical in your defense of the authorities.

Hey mods, being on your knees doesn`t mean what you think it means. I mean, Jesus Christ,

480px-Man_or_King_on_Throne_with_Kneelin

Way to be an adult. :rolleyes:

Did you completely miss this part of the story?

What kind of fascist country do you think you live in that you can't play sports in a public park?

Oh, now the family playing soccer in a public park are idiots?

You're being completely nonsensical in your defense of the authorities.

Nailed it.

The RCMP officer did not shut down the family soccer game someone who lives near the field called the park officer to enforce a bylaw that says you can only use the park fields with a permit. The guys in the video probably didn't listen to her so she called in the RCMP and they continue to not listen anyone and talk over them and that when she says I'm in charge here and tells them to take it up with their city council or whatever.

The person who called in was probably a soccer mom who complains about the fields being in poor quality while their child plays and blames people like the ones int he video for ruining them. RCMP officer is just simply enforcing a bylaw that's their job,

Yeah running on the field is really going to ruin it....

There are a lot of laws and bylaws that go unenforced by officers because its a no harm no foul type of situation. Until someone complains. Once the police receive a formal complaint they have to follow the letter of the law. Who would complain about people using a park field? The same people who call the cops about every little thing they can think of. They are commonly known as A-holes.

The title of the thread is really misleading because it is the By-law officer who called in the cops to enforce the rules. The cops did not "suddenly" show up to shut down the game. The cops do not cruise around Surrey shutting down sports in parks.

If anything it the By-Law officer should not waste police resources over such a trivial matter.

Archived