The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Vladimir Tarasenko

Blues sign Tarasenko to eight-year, $60 million deal:

The St. Louis Blues signed forward Vladimir Tarasenko to an eight-year contract worth $60 million on Tuesday.

Tarasenko, 23, tied for 10th in the NHL last season with 73 points (37 goals, 36 assists) and had a plus-27 rating. He became the youngest Blue to record a 30-goal season since Brendan Shanahan (1991-92) and the first to have 73 points since Pavol Demitra in 2002-03.

The 6-foot, 223-pound forward played in his first NHL All-Star Game in January and was the League's Second Star for the month of November.

Tarasenko was one of four players to have two hat tricks this season and was the only player to score six game-winning goals, six shootout goals and two overtime goals. He was the second Blue in history (Brett Hull) to score a hat trick that included a game-winning overtime goal (Oct. 28 vs. the Dallas Stars).

Tarasenko tied for the NHL lead in goals (six) and shared third in points (seven) through the first round of the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs. In Game 2 against the Minnesota Wild, he became the first Blue to have a postseason hat-trick since 2004.

Selected by the Blues in the first round (No. 16) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Tarasenko has 135 points (66 goals, 69 assists) in 179 regular-season games. He has 10 goals and 11 points in 13 playoff games.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=774157

Wow.

Looking back at that 2010 NHL draft, shows why the draft is so tricky and is not about drafting the best player at 17/18 years old, but who will be the best in their 20's. At the time, Taylor Hall was the consensus number 1, with some consideration for Seguin. A redraft based on what we know now, might go something like this:

1. Seguin

2. Johansen

3. Tarasenko

4. Fowler

5. Hall

I'm the only one that this is a good deal for both sides?

He's one of the top 5 young snipers in the league. He gets his goals playing in a Hitchcock system without a #1C.

This will be a Duncan Keith-esque contract within 3 years when he is in the $10 mil UFA production range.

Sure there is risk involved in any deal like this but Tarasenko is worth it IMHO. All day, every day.

Wow.

Looking back at that 2010 NHL draft, shows why the draft is so tricky and is not about drafting the best player at 17/18 years old, but who will be the best in their 20's. At the time, Taylor Hall was the consensus number 1, with some consideration for Seguin. A redraft based on what we know now, might go something like this:

1. Seguin

2. Johansen

3. Tarasenko

4. Fowler

5. Hall

Hall is a heck of a player.. the problem is he plays on the Oilers.

Wow.

1. Seguin

2. Johansen

3. Tarasenko

4. Fowler

5. Hall

Hall would easily but higher on that list had he not been developed by the Oilers.

This is a good signing in my opinion. Only problem is the risk with the length of the contract, but I think it's a risk I'd take too. What a beauty at 16th overall. Once he hits his prime in an offensive system and a true #1C... Ovechkin better watch out.

Hall would easily but higher on that list had he not been developed by the Oilers.

Hall is still #2 despite the bias against everything Oiler on this board. The only knock on him to me is that he is injury prone.

Wow.

1. Seguin

2. Johansen

3. Tarasenko

4. Fowler

5. Hall

I dislike the Oilers as much as the next guy, but I would take Hall ahead of Fowler and Tarasenko every day of the week.

Hall is still #2 despite the bias against everything Oiler on this board. The only knock on him to me is that he is injury prone.

Not a knock on Hall, but even Oilers fans need to admit that other players from that draft have equalled and surpassed him in development.

I'm the only one that this is a good deal for both sides?

He's one of the top 5 young snipers in the league. He gets his goals playing in a Hitchcock system without a #1C.

This will be a Duncan Keith-esque contract within 3 years when he is in the $10 mil UFA production range.

Sure there is risk involved in any deal like this but Tarasenko is worth it IMHO. All day, every day.

I agree. He's very, very good and as much as it seems pricey now it's likely to be a very fair contract. I'd do it.

Archived