grandmaster

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/792372

Offseason Grades, Pacific Division: Kings unshackled, Battle of Alberta now on

Justin CuthbertJul 9 2015, 9:04 AM

Metropolitan | Atlantic | Central | Pacific

Anaheim Ducks: B

Key Addition: Kevin Bieksa, Carl Hagelin

Notable Subtraction: Matt Beleskey, Francois Beauchemin

It's amazing what a little cap space can do.

Free of financial burden thanks in part to team-imposed salary restrictions, Bob Murray has the ability to constantly tinker, tweak, and refine his roster. He sheds a million here, dumps a contract there, and voila! Emerson Etem becomes Hagelin.

For an elite team, Anaheim is incredibly prudent with its finances. And after indirectly swapping Beauchemin for Bieksa, and Beleskey for Hagelin, and expanding their trunkload of cap space in the process, the Ducks remain elite, and a threat to improve at the drop of a hat.

Arizona Coyotes: B-

Key Addition: Antoine Vermette

Notable Subtraction: -

In retaining the likes of Vermette, Zbynek Michalek, and Boyd Gordon while introducing Steve Downie, Brad Richardson, and Nicklas Grossmann, the Coyotes have effectively pieced together a holdover roster until their fleet of young prospects is ready to burst onto the scene.

The influx of bodies is mainly a protective and temporary measure, with little associated risk. They have four veteran forwards signed beyond next season.

Arizona might be in for another long season in the Pacific juggernaut, but with one more piece to add (a local kid, perhaps?), and the ability to flip the roster quick, Don Maloney has this team in a decent spot.

Calgary Flames: A

Key Addition: Dougie Hamilton, Michael Frolik

Two bullets. Two targets acquired.

Brad Treliving's stealth acquisition of 22-year-old stud defenseman Hamilton, the final piece of perhaps the best unit in the NHL, was the most important swap of jerseys this summer and one of the more stunning trades in recent memory.

Meanwhile, Frolik's name looks a touch strange atop the team's payroll (among forwards), but while they paid a high price to land the middle-six contributor, he fills a clear need.

Edmonton Oilers: A

Key Addition: Cam Talbot, Andrej Sekera... Oh, and Connor McDavid

Draft picks weren't supposed to factor into the grading scheme, but the Connor McDavid hype machine, and the consequence of his presence, simply cannot be ignored. An abandoned market is now a five-star destination for free agents and Hockey Canada executives alike.

Peter Chiarelli upgraded the three most important and neglected positions on the roster twofold, adding a pair of centers, (at least) two top-six blue-liners, and a fresh new duo in net.

His moves likely weren't perfect (the Griffin Reinhart deal may well blow up) but adding seven capable roster players without losing a meaningful one in return (or bludgeoning the salary cap) is an impressive feat.

Los Angeles Kings: B+

Key Addition: Milan Lucic

Notable Subtraction: Justin Williams, Mike Richards

If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin', apparently.

It's all a bit unsavory, the way Los Angeles has conducted its business of late. But with a monster winger now in the fold and the freedom to breathe well beneath the cap, Dean Lombardi, in his axing of Richards, may have utilized a championship loophole.

The Kings have been rather quiet since taking a torch to Richards' remaining $28.75 million (his ghost may yet reappear), but Lombardi now has the ability to shore up the team's minor inadequacies, until someone (likely Don Fehr) tells him otherwise.

San Jose Sharks: C

Key Addition: Martin Jones

Notable Subtraction: Antti Niemi

One summer after deciding it was time to retool, the Sharks signed multi-year agreements with a pair of 34-year-olds in Paul Martin and Joel Ward, and traded their first-round pick next season for a goaltender in Jones who has made 34 total NHL appearances.

Though Jones taking the starter's role from the departed Niemi is consistent with the youth movement, that plan appears to have been crumpled up and thrown in the vicinity of a trash bin.

Vancouver Canucks: F

Key Addition: -

Notable Subtraction: Eddie Lack, Kevin Bieksa

While the rest of the division bulks up, the Canucks remain stuck. They're not moving forward, nor disbanding - just eroding.

The Lack return, well, lacked. The Bieksa deal was botched. Zack Kassian's trade was nonsensical. And while Shawn Matthias and Richardson aren't necessarily major individual losses, they're part of a mass exodus that's seen the team lose much of its identity.

So are all the haters wrong? Seriously this team has zero direction rite now and I don't get this hater stuff. Maybe they are right.

If you can't see the direction then you really need to open your eyes, its right infront of you.....

If you can't see the direction then you really need to open your eyes, its right infront of you.....

stop the trolling, please tell me the direction they are heading with trading younger players for guys like brandon prust and signing guys like Sbisa. Honestly, just tell me what direction this team is going?

are they rebuilding or contending?

Pretty much bang on though, lets be honest. This was an off-season where just about all of the teams in our division got better not only for the present but future, and the Canucks took a huge step back.

Our needs going into the Draft were:

1) Get rid of the stale veterans Bieksa and Higgins.

2) Add at least one top-4 defenceman

3) Add to our defensive prospect pool

4) Leave our wingers as be, they're our strong-point

5) Get good return on Lack or Markstrom

Instead what do we do:

1) Only get rid of Bieksa after the Draft for something we can't yet use

2) Add a bottom-2 defenceman in Bartowski

3) Only draft one semi-decent defenceman in Brisebois who was a 3rd rounder

4) Mess up our wingers, trading Kassian and getting Prust in

5) Getting a 3rd and 7th for Lack is woeful

We blew it at every aspect of what we needed to do this off-season, I'm not surprised.

In the ideal world here's what I would have liked happen:

1) Trade Bieksa and Higgins before the draft for a 2nd round pick or two

2) Add a top-4 defenceman, either via trade or UFA with the cap space shed from Bieksa and Higgins

3) Draft a decent defencemen in the first or 2nd round such as Kylington, Roy, Carlsson etc.

4) Not touch our wingers

5) Get at least one 2nd round pick for Lack or Markstrom

I know, easier said than done, but that's what we needed to do and we didn't. I think the Canucks management understand that they stuffed it up this draft which is why they fired so many of their supporting staff.

stop the trolling, please tell me the direction they are heading with trading younger players for guys like brandon prust and signing guys like Sbisa. Honestly, just tell me what direction this team is going?

You ought to just stick with watching Sesame Street. Professional sports management is too complicated for you.

Relax Desi, enjoy the ride. it's always been about the journey in this market. Don't get too hung up on wins and losses.

All will be well in the Aquaverse.

So are all the haters wrong? Seriously this team has zero direction rite now and I don't get this hater stuff. Maybe they are right?

Ray Ferraro is also a hater right?

No, Ray was confused like most in the media and many on CDC. But even he is starting to clue in to what's happening:

"thinking re Canucks - cant get younger unless young guys drafted and eventually pan out (Baertschi,McCann,Boeser etc) / tough for fans to...

...see current roster and believe, but unfortunately it takes time .. will they make it? who knows - but mgt cant stray from plan"

(tweet embed didn't work)

So are all the haters wrong? Seriously this team has zero direction rite now and I don't get this hater stuff. Maybe they are right?

Ray Ferraro is also a hater right?

The team has an obvious and well documented and explained direction. Just cause you dont grasp it doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Ray didnt hate on the direction the team was going, he said he thinks JB and Linden are smart hockey guys but that he doesnt think you can rebuild and stay competitive at the same time. Thats not hating, and is totally dif from what a pile of chronically, irrationally negative posters on this forum do.

Contending in fights with prust.

I think their heading towards the rebuilding phrase..We're stuck in the position where we our old core is still here and could still be somewhat competitive and our youth is developing and waiting for their chances.

What's the direction you ask? The Detroit Red Wings. That is the end goal we are trying to achieve. Remain competitive, while inserting young players into the lineup. If we decided to tank, what kind of crapty environment would that be for our young players to grow up in? A losing environment creates losers while a winning environment teaches what it takes to win and remain competitive. You want solid veterans insulating your young guys so they don't get too exposed and are allowed to develop properly. You want guys like Derek Dorsett, Sedins, Hamhuis, PRUST, guys who ooze character, to help these young guys achieve their potential, show them the ropes, and ultimately show them how to be a pro. Show them the work ethic that it takes to make, and stay in the NHL. IMO I would much prefer to go that direction then just trading away all our old guys, throwing our young guys to the wolves and just saying "meh you guys figure it out."

Archived