The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chris Stewart to sign with Ducks

Chris-Stewart-Minnesota-Wild-featured-64
Chris Stewart (Bruce Kluckhohn/Getty Images)

Chris Stewart is heading to Southern California.

According to CBS Sports Radio’s Andy Strickland, the Anaheim Ducks are expected to announce they have inked the 27-year-old right winger to a one-year deal.

This past season, Stewart was one of the names most frequently mentioned in trade talks and it was believed the Buffalo Sabres, whom Stewart began the season with, were looking to move the power forward from the beginning of the year. It took until the trade deadline for the Sabres to find a deal to their liking and, at the deadline, Stewart was shipped to the Minnesota Wild in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2017 draft.

Stewart, who was a two-time 28-goal scorer early in his career, has struggled to recapture that scoring touch but, after a slow start, had a decent season in 2014-15, considering he was the center of so much trade speculation. In 81 games this past season, 20 of which were in Minnesota, Stewart scored 14 goals and 36 points, the third-highest total of his career. In eight playoff games, Stewart registered two assists in eight games.

In a sense, Stewart will fill the void left by recently departed winger Matt Beleskey at what will likely be a much more palatable cost. Beleskey landed in Boston at $3.8 million per season as one of the summer’s most coveted free agents. Stewart finished a two-year, $8.3 million contract this past season, but he’ll likely take a pay cut in Anaheim.

The Ducks will be the fifth club of Stewart’s young career. Drafted by the Colorado 18th overall in 2006, Stewart was part of the Avalanche’s Erik Johnson acquisition from St. Louis, included in a package from the Blues to nab Ryan Miller from the Sabres and subsequently sent to the Wild.

Im starting to think instead of getting bigger and tougher we may be too far behind the 8 ball now! I think maybe aim to get faster and more skilled is our best chance, like how Montreal and Tampa are beating everyone in the east. There is no way we can compete physically with Anaheim and LA now

Im starting to think instead of getting bigger and tougher we may be too far behind the 8 ball now! I think maybe aim to get faster and more skilled is our best chance, like how Montreal and Tampa are beating everyone in the east. There is no way we can compete physically with Anaheim and LA now

You mean like the 2011 Canucks? Yeah you'd think they'd go back to what worked.

LA couldn't even make the playoffs and Anaheim was too busy running around trying to throw hits on a faster and more skilled Chicago team.

Bigger and slower isn't the way to go.

Didn't the hawks have the 2nd least hits in the nhl this year?

I'm a big Stewart believer this is the best place he could have gone I hope he revitalizes his career he's got a lot of talent

Getzlaf Kesler and Perry will be great guys to bring out his A game

Only place Anaheim doesn't look rock solid in my opinion is in the crease

I think it's going to be Anaheim and the Stars. Dallas is loading up like none other.

The Stars? You mean that team with a porous defence with only mediocre goaltending to compensate for it? Playoff bubble team next year, not even close to a Cup threat right now.

I'm a big Stewart believer this is the best place he could have gone I hope he revitalizes his career he's got a lot of talent

Getzlaf Kesler and Perry will be great guys to bring out his A game

Only place Anaheim doesn't look rock solid in my opinion is in the crease

I agree with all of this

Yeah that's it -- abandon the entire plan and start all over! Now we'll be behind even the Leafs.

At best he can ride shotgun on a 1st line and score 25 goals. At worst he is a hulking middle 6 winger who can play a physical 15 role. Good signing on a one year deal for anything less than 3 million

Wouldn't mind seeing that deal here especially over Prust.

Archived