The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

How did Subban look??? anyone?? Utica Fan?? hello?? lol

thanks for update if you can.

Subban looked like a rookie playing in his first professional game. Which of course he was. He made a bad decision with the puck that lead to the first goal when he tried to carry it through traffic in the neutral zone and turned it over. Five seconds later the puck was in the back of the Comets net. The turnover led to a 2 on 1 which McEneny played well but Jordan compounded the problem by not picking up his man after coming back and the Amerks scored on a rebound. He turned it over right at the red line and he had options to pass or dump it in but instead he tried to stick handle through a trap with no other Comet there for support.

All in all I would give Jordan a D+ grade for the game. It might have been a C or C- but the turnover was very costly. He had some moments where he skated the puck well but he also was pressured off the puck a number of times in his own end. The pairing of Subban and McEneny was the least effective all night. Two rookies paired together are going to make mistakes and they made their share in game one.

Subban looked like a rookie playing in his first professional game. Which of course he was. He made a bad decision with the puck that lead to the first goal when he tried to carry it through traffic in the neutral zone and turned it over. Five seconds later the puck was in the back of the Comets net. The turnover led to a 2 on 1 which McEneny played well but Jordan compounded the problem by not picking up his man after coming back and the Amerks scored on a rebound. He turned it over right at the red line and he had options to pass or dump it in but instead he tried to stick handle through a trap with no other Comet there for support.

All in all I would give Jordan a D+ grade for the game. It might have been a C or C- but the turnover was very costly. He had some moments where he skated the puck well but he also was pressured off the puck a number of times in his own end. The pairing of Subban and McEneny was the least effective all night. Two rookies paired together are going to make mistakes and they made their share in game one.

Ouch.

Do you think Suban's biggest strength (carrying the puck) is also his biggest weakness? I would like him to carry the puck, but only to create space to pass.

Do you think Suban's biggest strength (carrying the puck) is also his biggest weakness? I would like him to carry the puck, but only to create space to pass.

You have to remember that this was his first ever professional hockey game. It's a big step to go from playing against teenagers to playing against men who are older than you. The moves that worked in juniors might not work here. I'm sure that he will improve with more games under his belt. Subban's strengths are his skating and puck handling and he needs to use that to his advantage. He also needs to adjust to the fact that the time and space to make decisions with the puck has shrunk and sometimes the safe play is the better play. It's a learning process and will take some time.

Did you guys see Jensen's goal? What a snipe and also what a nice pass from Shink.

It was a snipe and the behind the back pass from his knees was actually from Zalewski. Shink and Z teamed up to create the turnover and Jensen buried it. I think Jensen will have a break out year this season. A combination of the fact that he is playing for a contract and it is time for him to put all the pieces of his game together.

Video from "Win Tha Game" on HFBoards.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/nqc5.webm

He's a good player but he's no Bobby Orr you know......

It was a snipe and the behind the back pass from his knees was actually from Zalewski. Shink and Z teamed up to create the turnover and Jensen buried it. I think Jensen will have a break out year this season. A combination of the fact that he is playing for a contract and it is time for him to put all the pieces of his game together.

Video from "Win Tha Game" on HFBoards.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/nqc5.webm

I think he will, too. Not that last year he was horrible either, he paced for 20 goals and only DeFazio broke 20 on the Comets last year.

He has such a nice shot, would look good on the Canucks 2nd PP unit at some point this year.

I wish all the people whining about him being sent to Utica would read this. I love the kid and I think he's going to be a LOT of fun to watch in a couple years but it's pretty obvious that rock needs a lot of polishing and time to learn how to play against men.

He was just giving an honest assessment of a single game, wasn't knocking Subban.

Ya I know, Sorry you missed the reference to the viral video of PK Subban imitating Don Cherry and saying this....

I wish all the people whining about him being sent to Utica would read this. I love the kid and I think he's going to be a LOT of fun to watch in a couple years but it's pretty obvious that rock needs a lot of polishing and time to learn how to play against men.

^^ Plus one UF & for your subsequent post reminding that it was his first pro game. And outlining the implications.

^ Spot on warning JR!

Would like to impress that its great to have objective outlooks from obvious places where guys know hockey! No sugar coating; it was a fair critique. But also did not rip Subban; just outlayed where he was at and what he had to do. It is something we have to live with as part of a natural development process...

Exactly what Bo did last year and McCann has done this year. Not unexpected at all.

The AHL / ECHL shift for select players continue to take shape. Dane Fox is returning back to the Kalamazoo Wings following an announcement made by Director of Hockey Ops Pat Conacher.

Comets press release link

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher announced today that the Vancouver Canucks have reassigned forward Dane Fox to the ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings.

Fox, 22, finished second on the Kalamazoo Wings with 30 goals during his rookie season last year. He finished with 45 points (30-15-45), good for third most on the team. He also recorded 110 penalty minutes in 70 games played.
The Chatham, ON native was named the Ontario Hockey League’s Player of the Year following the 2013-14 season. He led the league in goals with 64 and finished second in points with 107. Fox played five seasons in the OHL and was signed by the Canucks as a free agent on Dec. 28, 2013.

Best of luck to Fox with the K-Wings!

Archived