The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

Agency isn't bad. Block wouldn't work well with these colours and this template tbh. And it makes us different from the rest of the league.

I disagree. I've seen Canucks hats and shirts use block font and the blue and green stand out beautifully. Every Canucks jersey, from the original Stick In Rink, to the Flying V, the Skate and the original Orca have all used block font. Why not add a little silver to the bordering?

Here's an example: take the '94 black Skate jersey. Replace the black base with blue. Replace the yellow font with white. Replace the red border with a slightly thicker green and replace the white outline with silver. The look would give the jerseys strength while showcasing our beautiful colours.

I disagree. I've seen Canucks hats and shirts use block font and the blue and green stand out beautifully. Every Canucks jersey, from the original Stick In Rink, to the Flying V, the Skate and the original Orca have all used block font. Why not add a little silver to the bordering?

Here's an example: take the '94 black Skate jersey. Replace the black base with blue. Replace the yellow font with white. Replace the red border with a slightly thicker green and replace the white outline with silver. The look would give the jerseys strength while showcasing our beautiful colours.

Mmm, I don't see it.

Mmm, I don't see it.

This is what I'm talking about:

Just reverse the green with the blue.....

WhalerAlt3.jpg

What is it about that ugly weak font that you like?? The Canucks have ALWAYS had traditional block font prior to the Aquilini ownership.

It fits the jersey better. When they did the 40th, the Mills, or even the skate jersey throwback (I hope), they've used block - which is good for those jerseys.

Agency fits these ones better. It'd be pretty gross on our current jerseys. Even with the stick-in-rink, it'd look pretty nasty. Modern jerseys need a modern-looking font. But hey, at least we're not Ottawa, right?

It fits the jersey better. When they did the 40th, the Mills, or even the skate jersey throwback (I hope), they've used block - which is good for those jerseys.

Agency fits these ones better. It'd be pretty gross on our current jerseys. Even with the stick-in-rink, it'd look pretty nasty. Modern jerseys need a modern-looking font. But hey, at least we're not Ottawa, right?

I agree. Ottawa's look is terrible. However, what the Canucks need is a traditional look, not a modern and copy & paste look. This is a 1970 franchise and they need a look that's traditional, like the Original Six, Flyers, Islanders and Sabres.

Why...?

Markstrom was by far their most important player. Losing Baertschi (/Conacher before deadline), O'Reilly and DeFazio their leading goal scorer really hurts there offense. Losing Clendening and likely Corrado is a huge blow on defense.

Yes, there are young guys to come up and hopefully replace them, but most are young and will have a steep learning curve next year. Moreover, AHL teams succeed and fail largely based on the quality of their goalies and veterans not young NHL prospects. Of course I hope they do well, but there is not really any correlation between an AHL affiliate success and later success of their parent NHL club (most likely because of the aforementioned reason that AHL teams succeed because of strong goaltending and veterans).

Really there is no correlation.... Dallas team won the Calder cup last year and now look at there team. Tampa farm team set a AHL record for most points a couple years ago and they just went to the stanley cup finals, and look like a stacked team for years to come. Same

Thing with Ottawas AHL team. Look at the young players that were apart of that binnington team, Stone, Hoffman, Weichoch etc. I assume you are basing your opinion on this years Calder Cup champions, which is more of an outliner than a trend.

You need your young players to develop inorder

To win in the AHL.

Really there is no correlation.... Dallas team won the Calder cup last year and now look at there team. Tampa farm team set a AHL record for most points a couple years ago and they just went to the stanley cup finals, and look like a stacked team for years to come. Same

Thing with Ottawas AHL team. Look at the young players that were apart of that binnington team, Stone, Hoffman, Weichoch etc. I assume you are basing your opinion on this years Calder Cup champions, which is more of an outliner than a trend.

You need your young players to develop inorder

To win in the AHL.

Anyone who would want to measure this would not look at this years, or last years Calder Cup Champions (or finalists for that matter). If there was a potential correlation one would have to assume at least a two year lag.

But really, if you want to see if there is a correlation one wouldn't look at AHL success and then look at NHL affiliate success in the future because it significantly reduces the sample size and invites a lot of randomness. The easiest and perhaps most accurate way to measure this is to ask the question what makes successful AHL teams successful? A quick look at that and you'll realize it is largely because of AHL vets and good goaltending. Of course there are situations where a group of young talented prospects are the driver but that is more the exception to the rule.

Even the 2012 Admirals (Tampa Bay), which did have good NHL prospects, was led by Picard (age 26) and Smith (age 27) in playoff scoring and their highest scoring defenceman Kostka was 26 years old. Remember the AHL has a younger median age than the NHL and really anyone over 24 years old could be considered an AHL vet (because an AHLer who is 24 isn't really considered an NHL prospect anymore unless he is a goalie). Moreover, as I said, their goaltender - Tokarski- had an amazing .944 save percentage in their playoff run.

Young guys can help AHL teams win, no doubt. But the really successful AHL teams have good veterans and good goaltending only in exceptional cases do young, NHL prospects (forwards and defencemen), lead an AHL team to success without strong vets.

Markstrom was by far their most important player. Losing Baertschi (/Conacher before deadline), O'Reilly and DeFazio their leading goal scorer really hurts there offense. Losing Clendening and likely Corrado is a huge blow on defense.

Yes, there are young guys to come up and hopefully replace them, but most are young and will have a steep learning curve next year. Moreover, AHL teams succeed and fail largely based on the quality of their goalies and veterans not young NHL prospects. Of course I hope they do well, but there is not really any correlation between an AHL affiliate success and later success of their parent NHL club (most likely because of the aforementioned reason that AHL teams succeed because of strong goaltending and veterans).

Oh I have little doubt that, as Deniro posted, the start of their season will have some bumps or 'learning curve' as you put it. There's a lot of fresh blood coming in.

But Bachman should continue to give them solid goal tending and Hutton/Subban should replace Bo-Sang's production. You've also got a year older Shink who's not coming off an injury, has had a full off season to train and towards the end of last year really started to put it together at this level. Add a year older Gaunce and I'm especially excited to see how Cassels does at this level as well.

I don't think it's all that scary. I'm far more excited than scared personally.

Oh I have little doubt that, as Deniro posted, the start of their season will have some bumps or 'learning curve' as you put it. There's a lot of fresh blood coming in.

But Bachman should continue to give them solid goal tending and Hutton/Subban should replace Bo-Sang's production. You've also got a year older Shink who's not coming off an injury, has had a full off season to train and towards the end of last year really started to put it together at this level. Add a year older Gaunce and I'm especially excited to see how Cassels does at this level as well.

Personally, I really don't care how they finish in the standings, higher would be better of course but it doesn't really matter to me.

In fact, having less quality veterans and thus having a worse team points-wise may be better for our prospects because they'll be forced into more ice-time and more difficult deployment.

I agree with Bachman looks good, but I am really interested to see how the goaltending plays-out. Every game I watched last year (and reports from other games) Markstrom absolutely carried the team in a lot of games.

I expect them to fight for a playoff spot, but I am far more interested in seeing how the prospects develop.

While they have managed the transition pretty well, it's still a transition. The turnover alone will be a bit of a stumbling block out of the gate but I'll absolutely give them that time to come together. We'll have to see how they're playing after the halfway mark to really measure how good they are.

Personally, I really don't care how they finish in the standings, higher would be better of course but it doesn't really matter to me.

In fact, having less quality veterans and thus having a worse team points-wise may be better for our prospects because they'll be forced into more ice-time and more difficult deployment.

I agree with Bachman looks good, but I am really interested to see how the goaltending plays-out. Every game I watched last year (and reports from other games) Markstrom absolutely carried the team in a lot of games.

I expect them to fight for a playoff spot, but I am far more interested in seeing how the prospects develop.

Bachman should be able to carry the team aswell, he did a good job of it in Oklahoma. He was the reason we didn't sweep them, he made some big saves. Very interested to see how this season plays out, like you you said, I'm excited to see some prospects to get pushed to the next level. We will see who is a sinker or who is a swimmer.

Bachman should be able to carry the team aswell, he did a good job of it in Oklahoma. He was the reason we didn't sweep them, he made some big saves. Very interested to see how this season plays out, like you you said, I'm excited to see some prospects to get pushed to the next level. We will see who is a sinker or who is a swimmer.

I'd prefer it if they all skated

Archived