The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

Just to repeat the info from the Canucks training camp section for consistency sake:

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by four players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Hunter Shinkaruk Forward
Andrey Pedan Defence

The following players have been released and will attend the Utica Comets Training Camp:

Wacey Hamilton Forward
Carter Bancks Forward

Monday, 09.28.2015 / 9:54 AM PT / News

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by six players. The moves bring the club’s current roster to 31 players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets and will attend the Utica Comets Training Camp:

· Cole Cassels, Centre
· Nicklas Jensen, Right Wing
· Joe Cannata, Goaltender
· Alex Friesen, Centre
· Blair Jones, Centre
· Ludwig Blomstrand, Left Wing

I don't see how that isn't the final roster, plus the players still to be cut By the Canucks. With no limits to AHL rosters, back to back, and sometimes 3 in a row games, there's no reason not to carry a bunch of spares.

Add to that, the atmosphere in Utica is amazing. They can put a Canucks game to shame with only 3000 people and they sell out every game. They might even be able to handle Vey's contract :)

Guess I'll post this here since he's not technically a prospect, but Alex Biega really impressed me tonight. He's not flashy like Hutton but he gets the job done, always in position, has good hockey sense in general in terms of where to be on the ice and anticipating where the puck's going. I noticed this in his call-up last year and during the AHL playoffs but tonight he was very good again. Kinda reminds me of Tanev with his steadiness.

Corrado's probably got the 7th d-man spot nailed down and Hutton's on everyone's minds right now but I really think Biega could be one of those guys that comes up for an injury and just ends up sticking because of how good he is. He deserves to be in the NHL as a 6/7 guy.

Guess I'll post this here since he's not technically a prospect, but Alex Biega really impressed me tonight. He's not flashy like Hutton but he gets the job done, always in position, has good hockey sense in general in terms of where to be on the ice and anticipating where the puck's going. I noticed this in his call-up last year and during the AHL playoffs but tonight he was very good again. Kinda reminds me of Tanev with his steadiness.

Corrado's probably got the 7th d-man spot nailed down and Hutton's on everyone's minds right now but I really think Biega could be one of those guys that comes up for an injury and just ends up sticking because of how good he is. He deserves to be in the NHL as a 6/7 guy.

Ditto! Thought Biega was strong at both ends. Great shot and could easily have had a goal. Moves the

puck well out of the d-zone.

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by one player. The move brings the club’s current roster to 30 players.

The following player has been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Alex Grenier Right Wing

If Vey goes to Utica he will be first line center. His numbers in the AHL are superior to anyone else on the team.

Meh, it could go either way between Vey & Jones. Jones has 135 points in his last 152 AHL games, Vey has 158 points in 191 AHL games. Jones is a much bigger player who is stronger on the puck and plays all three zones (hence his ability to play in NHL bottom-6s, unlike Vey).

Personally I'd rather see how Jones & Shinkaruk work out, I think Shink would be pretty damn good with a big centerman. Vey has put up 45 AHL assists before and would look good with a shooter in Jensen, who paced for 20 goals last year, which would have been 2nd on the team.

Like I said, I think it could go either way, with Vey running the PP.

If Biega doesn't stick in Vancouver as the 7th or 8th dman he will likely be the captain of the Comets.

He'll be in Utica. He doesn't deserve a spot over Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Weber, Corrado or Hutton. Maybe Corrado at most, but looks like Canucks are gonna run with 7 D to start the year, maybe 8 later on.

DeNiro, either way a top 12 consisting of the following in whatever combination is gonna be a damn competitive forward group, if Vey makes it down:

Shinkaruk - Jones - Grenier

Gaunce - Vey - Jensen

Labate/Kenins - Cassels - Cracknell

Zalewski - Friesen - Fox

If Vey doesn't make it down, I think they should make a move to bring in an offensive 2nd C for the year.

He'll be in Utica. He doesn't deserve a spot over Hamhuis, Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Weber, Corrado or Hutton. Maybe Corrado at most, but looks like Canucks are gonna run with 7 D to start the year, maybe 8 later on.

What I was getting at was if the Canucks elect to go with 8 D they potentially have two guys sitting in the press box on game nights. At 27 years old Biega could be that insurance 7th or 8th guy that spends most of his time in the press box. I don't believe Hutton will serve that role as a first year pro. He needs to be in Utica playing tons of minutes until he comes up Vancouver for good.

The Utica Comets kicked off their 2015 pre-season schedule with a 1-0 shutout win against the Syracuse Crunch at the Patinoire Charlemagne Arena in Lyon, France on Thursday night.

Joe Cannata started in net for the Comets and turned away all of the Crunch’s shots in the shutout effort. Nicklas Jensen (1-0-1) scored the Comets lone goal.

The Comets broke the scoreless tie 7:45 into the second period. Jensen ripped a shot past Adam Wilcox for the Comets first goal of the preseason. Joseph LaBate and Alex Friesen recorded assists on the marker.

Archived