The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

If Vey makes it down and Virtanen or McCann only get 9 games the Vey will make his heroic return back to Vancouver.

If he does return, hopefully it's with some confidence from the AHL and a lesson learned considering he lost out to Cracknell (a RWer) for a roster spot.

He's gonna have a tough time beating out Gaunce, Jensen, Grenier and Shinkaruk for 1st call-up though.

If he does return, hopefully it's with some confidence from the AHL and a lesson learned considering he lost out to Cracknell (a RWer) for a roster spot.

He's gonna have a tough time beating out Gaunce, Jensen, Grenier and Shinkaruk for 1st call-up though.

He's not coming back here. Like you say, there are a number of guys ahead of him, who deserve to be called up.

Shinkaruk-Vey-Grenier

Gaunce-Jones-Jensen

Kenins-Cassels-Friesen

Bancks-Hamilton-Zalewski

(Fox, Blomstrand, Valk, Labate, Stewart)

Pedan-Biega

Fedun-Subban

McEneny-Corrado

(Cederholm, Sautner, Ehrhardt, Negrin)

Bachman

Cannata

(Witt)

If all three guys can make it down to Utica, that's suddenly a pretty damn good looking roster. That top six in particular has the potential to be dangerous if Shinkaruk and Gaunce can take steps forward and get into the 20-goal range. Defense looks a lot better with four vets to mentor all the rookies, plus there's a bit of familiarity there with Corrado and McEneny who played together in junior.

Once they get Valk back, they'll have the Calder in the bag

Depends how many injuries, transactions and how everyone's season starts. I strongly doubt he'll be back within the first 10 games, but I could be wrong.

I've never been a fan of his game. I defend almost all our guys, but Vey has always been a disappointing player to me.

Shinkaruk-Vey-Grenier

Gaunce-Jones-Jensen

Kenins-Cassels-Friesen

Bancks-Hamilton-Zalewski

(Fox, Blomstrand, Valk, Labate, Stewart)

Pedan-Biega

Fedun-Subban

McEneny-Corrado

(Cederholm, Sautner, Ehrhardt, Negrin)

Bachman

Cannata

(Witt)

If all three guys can make it down to Utica, that's suddenly a pretty damn good looking roster. That top six in particular has the potential to be dangerous if Shinkaruk and Gaunce can take steps forward and get into the 20-goal range. Defense looks a lot better with four vets to mentor all the rookies, plus there's a bit of familiarity there with Corrado and McEneny who played together in junior.

I've seen multiple suggestions for the Comets opening season roster and this makes the most sense to me. I'm still not sold on either Blomstrand or Fox in a 4th line role.

I've seen multiple suggestions for the Comets opening season roster and this makes the most sense to me. I'm still not sold on either Blomstrand or Fox in a 4th line role.

I agree..but they will have to insert some toughness into that lineup,,Pedan cant carry that load fulltime with his history..Stewart..and Kurtz are likely candidates for that role...they are going to have to ship out about 5-6 players....have they announced any agreement were the extra players will go with the K-Wings out of the picture.

I think he'll be back, but I also didn't think he'd be waived.

Vey is now an overpaid version of Andrew Ebbetts. Vey will make it back to the Canucks roster if Burrows or Vrbata gets injured or if McCann falls flat on his face.

As much as I don't think Vey is a top six forward, he may be "serviceable" in this role for a 2-3 game stretch...and Vey has shown he is incapable of being a bottom six centreman, so it will be by default he's back as a no. 4 centre.

As well, Linden/Benning seemed to be mindful of paying deserving guys in Utica some NHL money last year (they did this with Sanguinetti, Biega, Corrado, Jensen) to which they even made a comment in that regard. So, with that in mind, with all things being equal, with Vey on a one-way paying him $1M in the AHL, I would bet Gaunce, Jensen, Grenier, Jones and even Friesen would be brought up so short stints so that they can be compensated more than their AHL deals (Gaunce, Jensen, Grenier and Friesen aren't receiving any signing bonus money, so they are making $70K, $70K, $90K and $80K, respectively in Utica).

I agree..but they will have to insert some toughness into that lineup,,Pedan cant carry that load fulltime with his history..Stewart..and Kurtz are likely candidates for that role...they are going to have to ship out about 5-6 players....have they announced any agreement were the extra players will go with the K-Wings out of the picture.

I agree that toughness is lacking on the projected Comets roster. I would like to have seen Archie brought back for that role. He adds toughness to the line up without hurting you on the ice. I think Kurtz makes the team for this reason and will rotate in and out of the lineup with Bancks and Zalewski. Labate is a big body and will need to play a hard game to get into and stay in the line up. I have a feeling Stewart starts out in the ECHL just because he is learning a new position.

Where are the Comets sending players in the ECHL? Good question and nothing has been reported. Most likely spreading players around to different teams.

I agree that toughness is lacking on the projected Comets roster. I would like to have seen Archie brought back for that role. He adds toughness to the line up without hurting you on the ice. I think Kurtz makes the team for this reason and will rotate in and out of the lineup with Bancks and Zalewski. Labate is a big body and will need to play a hard game to get into and stay in the line up. I have a feeling Stewart starts out in the ECHL just because he is learning a new position.

Where are the Comets sending players in the ECHL? Good question and nothing has been reported. Most likely spreading players around to different teams.

Yep...couldnt figure out why they didnt bring Archie back...also a fan favorite...I think Fox makes the team this year and might surprise.

That's what I thought as well, having Bancks and Hamilton there is an automatic and I feel like Zalewski's way better suited to that third slot than a skill guy like Blomstrand. Fox is gritty enough to handle it but his footspeed is a question mark. The wildcard for me is Labate because he's a big guy who'd probably fit pretty well there but that depends on whether Green thinks he's ready or not I suppose.

I'm really pleased with Vey making it down to Utica. I've been pushing for this for a while so it's nice when management actually does what I want them to. ;)

This should be good for all parties involved.

I think a year playing top minutes under Green's tutelage, and hopefully playing in all situations, will work wonders for Vey. Apparently (according to Benning), Vey worked hard over the summer and did everything the team asked of him. Vey himself revealed that he had put on weight and reported to camp at around 200 lbs. But he looked uncomfortable with his added bulk and didn't seem to have adjusted well to the physical changes. Hopefully he can learn to use his added size to be stronger on the puck, while also finding a way to recover his mobility (because he looked sluggish at times during Canucks camp/preseason).

I expect big numbers from Vey in Utica.

And the main beneficiary should be Shinkaruk. I was worried about Utica's center depth and how this might hold back Hunter. But now he'll have a talented center with excellent vision and some pretty strong playmaking skills and good offensive instincts. Shink needed to play with a legimate AHL #1C and Vey has proven he's a top flight AHL player.

Obviously this helps the Comets and it should also help the Canucks. Vey remains part of the depth chart and available for injury relief. And he also gets to "cook" for another year while playing significant minutes in an offensive role. Playing on the first line in Utica is light years better for Vey than playing the 4th line in Vancouver. And if/when Vey gets another chance with the Canucks, he'll be a better player because of the opportunities afforded him by this demotion.

So obviously I'm happy Vey was waived and made it through to join the Comets.

I'm also pretty happy about how things went down with the defensemen. I'd lost faith in Corrado a bit and I'd kinda stopped seeing him as becoming anything more than a depth/bottom pairing guy in the NHL. And I think Biega is better in that role (at least right now), so I'm happy with how things went. And given that I'm not super high on Corrado, I'm kinda glad he isn't blocking guys like Subban and Pedan (both of whom I see as having legitimate NHL upside) on the depth chart and for minutes on the Comets D. Of course, losing Corrado means losing depth and losing a good AHL D who would've helped Utica this season. But it might actually serve to speed the development of some of the other defensemen prospects, which could be a good thing (especially if Corrado wasn't ever going to become more than a depth player --which remains to be seen of course and I still wish him well in Toronto).

But overall a good result on the waiver wire IMO. Of course, I recommended waiving all three of these guys so I kinda have to support Benning on this one. ;)

EDIT: Typos and bad autocorrects

Archived