Getzlaf $8.25

Kes $6.875

Bieksa $4

Fowler $4

Stoner $3.25 (this one I don't get)

Cogliano $3

Maroon $2

Total $40

That's $40 million on 8 players, without considering the R.F.A.'s they'll have to sign who'll likely join that group (Silfverberg, Rakell, Hagelin, Lindholm, Vatanen, Despres, plus their two-headed monster in goalie with Andersen and Gibson)! In the near future if guys start to ask for big raises, which some of them will after winning a Cup (Vatanen, Lindholm, Silfverberg, Andersen and Gibson would likely want north of $3 mil each IMO), I could see this group going the way of Chicago after it wins, having to move certain pieces to remain competitive, and these longer-term signings might just handcuff the team if no-movement pacts are included. It's gonna be interesting to see which young contenders could rebuild well and which fall out of the picture (Boston?)

I don't understand what you're getting at. Way of Chicago? You mean 3 cups in 5 years? Yeah, that would be terrible. If anything, Chicago has shown that if you identify the players who are instrumental to winning, and pay them well to keep them, the secondary players are pretty much interchangeable.

And how is $40 million for 8 players terrible? We pay over $41 million for Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev and Sbisa! All 8 combined for 22 playoff points in 48 GP, Getzlaf alone had 20 in 16.

Also, the Ducks have about 16 million in cap space right now - spending an extra 1.875 to keep Kesler isn't such a big deal for them. They'll have plenty left over to re-up the young guys they want to keep.

The Sedins?

Kesler plays a game built on intensity. Can he block shots, hit, skate, dangle like he does now, when he's 36? The Sedin have played the same way since they were drafted. They use their brains and hands. They are not big, physical, or fast. They don't kill penalties. They don't play a game that can regress like Kesler's or Burrows'

Ryan Kesler was actually one of my favorite players when he was a Canuck. I actually model my playing style after him.

Is he actually worth 6.8 million dollars? no he's not. He's almost 50 points a year, he was also a minus, he is a great player, contract doesn't kick in until he is 32.

But hey, Anahiem wants to win a Cup, it's all worth it.

I'm glad he's not on our team anymore. We don't want quitters. We missed the playoffs due to injury, he asks for a trade, what a loser.

glad he's gone.

Good deal ............ for the Canucks! Ducks better win in the next two years or they'll regret the deal.

And for what it's worth I can not believe people have the audacity to post 'I hope he wins a cup'. He left in the worst way and sewered the Canucks. Plus, hoping they win is essentially hoping the Canucks don't.

Kesler plays a game built on intensity. Can he block shots, hit, skate, dangle like he does now, when he's 36? The Sedin have played the same way since they were drafted. They use their brains and hands. They are not big, physical, or fast. They don't kill penalties. They don't play a game that can regress like Kesler's or Burrows'

He'll probably change his game down the road, but the Sedins are hardly guaranteed to avoid declines due to style of play, esp. with the hits they take nightly.

So what does this say about Benning's negotiating prowess? After being rated "F" at this years draft.

So for a player worth those kinds of numbers and length of contract we got:

Sbisa (a mistake prone D), Bonino (an underachieving C), a 24th, and a swap for third rounders?

That said, I think the Ducks will regret this signing in a few years. Kesler plays hard, when he's close to, or at, 100%. He's a warrior. But if he's injured at all, his effectiveness drops sharply. Not injuries serious enough to take him out, just anything nagging. After injured in the fabled Nashville series, he went from superhero to non-factor for the rest of the playoffs. In his 2011-12 season, where he acquired some kind of shoulder injury, even Cody Hodgson, who got no PP time and much less ice time overall was ahead of Kesler in goals at the time of that trade. And as he ages, there will be more and more of these nagging injuries to play through, with his brand of hockey.

Add to that his general surliness and selfish play at times...meh. I'm just glad we didn't manage to keep him and sign him to that deal. There are, or will be, better choices out there for that kind of $ and term.

7 million dollars for a 40-50pts player.

Yeah, I'd rather have Bonino.

Bonino isnt half the player Kesler is. Points arent everything, Kesler is a beast and brings so much to the team even if he doesnt score. Hes a complete player who gives it his all, all heart and soul. 7 million is well deserved.

With the rebuild that's going on here, He'll never come back..dude wants a cup...I still dislike him though.

He did sign a 7 year contract. If he signed that in Vancouver it would be enough time for the team to rebuild to a contender (maybe).

Good for Kes. I don't we can mock other teams contracts when we pay Sbisa 3.6 :picard:

3.6 for 3 years isn't bad. Vancouver survived the Ballard's reign of terror Canucks will be fine with Sbisa

I don't understand what you're getting at. Way of Chicago? You mean 3 cups in 5 years? Yeah, that would be terrible. If anything, Chicago has shown that if you identify the players who are instrumental to winning, and pay them well to keep them, the secondary players are pretty much interchangeable.

And how is $40 million for 8 players terrible? We pay over $41 million for Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev and Sbisa! All 8 combined for 22 playoff points in 48 GP, Getzlaf alone had 20 in 16.

Also, the Ducks have about 16 million in cap space right now - spending an extra 1.875 to keep Kesler isn't such a big deal for them. They'll have plenty left over to re-up the young guys they want to keep.

Great post.

Archived