The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why no love for Bonino?

VIC_CITY

We've talked about Bonino in the past, and how he's good value but not necessarily as good a player. He doesn't control or drive play straight into the crest of the opposing goaltender as much Kesler did and clearly isn't quite the Sekle quality defensive player either. That value is perfect for us right now though while we're in transition.

FTFY

Bones does a good but not great job as 2C. Fact is he will soon be succeeded by Horvat and with the prospect depth at center his flexible contract may be attractive if shopped (though I highly doubt it). For now we have a good and relatively young 2C who can put some points up making him a perfect stopgap.

At Bonino's current age, Kesler was an all-star. But Bonino is decent and he is definitely needed here to help protect Henrik and Horvat from perhaps too much duty. Esp. Henrik.

The only thing Bonino is useful for as a second line centre is deflecting negative attention away from the Sedins , so if that's what u mean , he's dojng a great job.

Put him on the third line with Higgins and Hansen. I suspect that they would do well together.

regards,

G.

This could work.

Hansen can retrieve all the pucks that Higgins and Bones cough up at the offensive blue-line.

Otherwise I like Bonino's defensive work and occasional snipe.

Have we hired a new face-off coach yet?

dude you will have one good post then follow it up with something like this... Bones is in no way, shape or form better then Kesler. This coming from a guy who thinks Kesler is a dink.

I don't have the time to search on my phone right now but I've put the stats down a few times. The stats don't lie.

Bonino was far more productive than k3slur 5on5 per 60 minutes played. In fact Bonino was top 3 on our team in every scoring category for 5on5 per 60 played.

Stats don't lie in this case.

Would have more value on a cap crunched team. Too bad he didn't replicate his previous year last season. I bet he coulda fetched a good amount on the open market. He doesn't have a lot of value to this team IMO. I see him as more of a great depth guy on a loaded team like Chicago or LA.

Lazy? Gimme a break.

Primarily an offensive forward? Making this statement makes me wonder if you even watched him play.

Average skating can be overcome by good hockey sense and positioning which Bonino is good at.

Yknow what? Now that Ive seen your post I actually look at how my post was pretty wrong. He definitely is more of a defensive guy. BUT he was given an offensive role on the 2nd line. Bonino on Anaheim was a solid support player. On the Canucks its different without such a high calibre team around him.

My opinion on Bonino is he's quite lazy. Throughout the season he seemed to make terrible line changes, he was streaky, and overall not a huge difference maker on the ice. Sure he puts up points, but he's small and is primarily an offensive forward who lacks the speed and drive that all top notch scorers possess. Whereas Kesler is a force at both ends of the rink. IMO I can't see Bonino progressing as a player any further unless he truly wants it and pushes himself within to that next level. I hope I'm wrong though.

You couldn't be more wrong. He played a significant amount of shifts against the top centers in the west and zero goals were scored on him during those shifts.

There’s also his notable level of success against the top pivots in the Pacific. Bonino has gone head-to-head with the top-three centremen in California (Thornton, Kopitar, Getzlaf) for nearly 70 combined 5-on-5 minutes this season. In those 70 minutes, the Canucks haven’t surrendered a single goal against.

Too nice of a guy. He lacks the intensity to be an dominant center. He embodies the worst attributes of the Sedins. Slow, lacks intensity, doesn't hit etc...

Quit joking around...

Stop joking plz thx

Also stop being 500% wrong.

Bonino has talent...he may just settle in nicely this year as the 3rd line centre and create 3 scoring lines that can play D. as well if we pair him with Hansen and Virtanen, Grenier or Burrows.

Sedins / Vrbata

Baertschi / Horvat / Virtanen, Grenier or Burrows

Hansen / Bonino / Virtanen , Grenier, Burrows or Higgins

Prust / Vey or Cassels / Dorsett

Kenins or Grenier or Cassels

Archived