The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Bo ready to be a 2C?

Ron_Burgundy

No. Stick on the 3rd/4th line. Too bad. Could have a #1 RW to play with the Sedins in Nichushkin but oh well. He's a solid player but 50 point 2C is max i see him as. Bonino is much better than Horvat in this league right now.

Nichushkin isn't that good boss man. Anyone is going to have inflated stats playing with Seguin and Benn. It's going to happen no matter who is on that line. I'm not going to knock all of Nush's game. He has a good offensive upside, but like i said before, he was playing wing with big names, with serious skill. With that being said, his defensive game is trash, he gets lost in his own end and is a liability. Bo is already showing why he was a top 10 pick. Unreal skill set, plus he does well in all areas of the ice. Bo is and will be a better all around hockey player than Nichushkin. Plus i believe Bo at some point in his career will have 70+ point seasons in the NHL.

i bet he starts 3C but ends up in a 2C slot.

This is my prediction as well. It is not clear what Bo's ceiling is. He could top out as a world class 3C -- playing shutdown, killing penalties, taking key face-offs, contributing to the physical game, and providing secondary scoring.

Or his scoring could progress to a legitimate 2C level. But the thing is that Bonino is better suiting to being 3C rather the 2C. Playing with shutdown wingers like Higgins and Hansen he could be a very good shudown 3C.

Horvat has better speed and might be a better match with Baeirtschi on LW and Vry on RW.

Bo Horvat is the type of player who can potentially get 30 goals and up to 65 points given a few more years. And that is honestly enough for him to become an elite first line centre. And having a skilled, hard-working two-way centre on the first line is more important than having a prolific scorer. Yes, he might not have legendary name recognition (like Crosby or Ovechkin) but if Horvat peaks, he could end up as good as Patrice Bergeron.

Is he ready to be a 2nd line centre? I doubt it, and if he were to play 11-14 minutes on the third line that'd be perfectly okay for a 20 year old. He needs to continue working on his defensive game and faceoffs and eventually he'll crack the top six.

This is my prediction as well. It is not clear what Bo's ceiling is. He could top out as a world class 3C -- playing shutdown, killing penalties, taking key face-offs, contributing to the physical game, and providing secondary scoring.

Or his scoring could progress to a legitimate 2C level. But the thing is that Bonino is better suiting to being 3C rather the 2C. Playing with shutdown wingers like Higgins and Hansen he could be a very good shudown 3C.

Horvat has better speed and might be a better match with Baeirtschi on LW and Vry on RW.

I disagree. Bonino is too good offensively to be a third line centre and doesn't possess the two way skills to cover for his bottom six linemates. Bonino at times can be inconsistent, soft, and lack intensity on a shift to shift basis. And he's horrendous at faceoffs. Someone like that absolutely cannot play with other third liners. He just needs to continue to work on his entire game overall and work towards getting 20 goals and 25 assists, which is solid for a second liner.

An ideal third line is one that has high intensity (aka fast and hard-hitting) along with good defensive ability. The goals will come naturally because they can outwork the opposition and catch them off-guard. Which is why Bo Horvat is an ideal 3rd line centre at the moment. His level of intensity and defensive discipline allows his wingers to play more aggressively. And when he's able to elevate his offensive game, he has the potential to become a first line, Selke-calibre player. I would rather have a defensive centre on the first line while the offensive centre plays behind him.

It's going to be very interesting to see what Horvat does with his sophomore season. If he can perform like a #2C, this team is in much better shape than most of the pundits are suggesting.

Same thing with Vey. If he can perform like a middle-six regular, instead of a 13th forward, it changes things dramatically.

This continues with Baertschi and whether or not he can be our #2LW or if he's just another depth forward.

Or whether a guy like Virtanen does enough to make the club.

All these are unknowns and probably at least half of them are unlikely to happen. But I can imagine this team with all four of Horvat, Vey, Baertschi, and Virtanen meeting or exceeding expectations as regular members of the Canucks lineup next season. And if that somehow happened, we'd have a team that finishes closer to where Apollo's predicting for next season (Pacific dominance!) instead of the one most "experts" are picking to miss the playoffs.

Of course, more important than all of the above is whether or not the Sedins and Edler-Tanev can stay healthy. And whether or not Miller/Markstrom can give us league average (or better) goaltending. But assuming those "wheels" don't completely "fall off" during 2015-16, the performance of our young players is probably going to determine whether or not this is a playoff team.

All i gotta say is 3c or 2c doesnt really matter, because most often it was Bo's line that was buzzing and actually creating chances. The chemistry he had with Kenins really rallied our team into a playoff spot, one of the most overlooked storylines of last season. If you watched the way they tried to make plays in the Offensive zone, you could see they made things happen, which is EXACTLY what we are lacking after the Sedins.

Willie, if you are on CDC and listening, GIVE BO SOME POWER PLAY TIME WITH THE SEDINS!!!! you can still shelter him in a 3c role, but damnit i wanna see him on regular first line PP duty.

People are starting to forget the importance of patience.

Bo had a massive rookie season and impressed me an insane amount. He isn't a 2c yet, no matter how much you want him to be. Him pretty much given the 3rd line role is already a huge deal for him and a fantastic thing for the future of the Canucks. I'm expecting Willie to roll the lines even more this season with the Sedins being another year older and the improved bottom six.

They are doing all the right things with Bo, let him have a natural progression rather than skipping a few steps! Might as well use Bonino in a 2c role because of his playmaking skill. He had a good year in my books, a bit inconsistent but I think he will be better this year.

Yes, he is.

Cause Nuchuskin is a 1st line winger right :rolleyes:

And yes, he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8La2GRw46tk

I disagree. Bonino is too good offensively to be a third line centre and doesn't possess the two way skills to cover for his bottom six linemates. Bonino at times can be inconsistent, soft, and lack intensity on a shift to shift basis. And he's horrendous at faceoffs. Someone like that absolutely cannot play with other third liners. He just needs to continue to work on his entire game overall and work towards getting 20 goals and 25 assists, which is solid for a second liner.

An ideal third line is one that has high intensity (aka fast and hard-hitting) along with good defensive ability. The goals will come naturally because they can outwork the opposition and catch them off-guard. Which is why Bo Horvat is an ideal 3rd line centre at the moment. His level of intensity and defensive discipline allows his wingers to play more aggressively. And when he's able to elevate his offensive game, he has the potential to become a first line, Selke-calibre player. I would rather have a defensive centre on the first line while the offensive centre plays behind him.

I think you're underselling Bonino's defensive abilities. The reason Bonino excels in the third line position is because he doesn't have to work as hard as everyone else when he plays smarter. His positioning and active sticks do the work for him. He may not be the face off beast we need but he is much more suited for the third line role where he faces a lower quality of defencemen.

By mid season i see him on the 2nd line if he keeps progressing at the rate he was last season.

I still have faith in Bonino, but i really wasnt impressed with him last season, Horvat during the 2nd half blew me away.

I'm not sure what to think at this point, last year Bonino was looking like a third line center at most times and Bo was improving every game.

I think this season is going to be the telling tail as to Boninos future roll on the team, I'd be fine with him as out third line center.

I was very impressed by Horvat's speed last season which was supposed to be his weakness. He already trains like a true professional and attacks his weaknesses in the off season. Because of this work ethic he will reach his full potential sooner rather then later. The opposite of Zack Kassian. Where will his offensive ceiling be? I see him as a 20 goal 50 point guy most of his career. Maybe having a couple of peak seasons as a 30/70 guy. I'm expecting he will be a Kesler/O'Reilly/Bergeron type player always matching up against the top players of the opposing team by his 3rd season. He may surprise everyone and play that role this year, but I don't think WD will rush him. He will be an important player this year as a 3rd line center and if Bonino or H. Sedin get injuried he will rise to the occasion! Horvat is one player on the Canucks that I will never worry about.

I think what people need to remember is that after the 1st line, whatever line a player is on basically just a label under WD's strategy. Willie won't hesitate for a moment to put the 4th line out more than the 2nd if he likes what he sees. Even if Bo were to start the season on the 4th line again, I think his ice time would only trail the 1st line among forwards.

Let him grow into the position by having him earn that position.

He may had a great rookie season but he hasn't earned the top six position yet. He is going to have to show more and more that he can take on bigger responsibilities and that he can produce not just offensively but in other facets on a consistent basis.

He will start as the 3rd/4th line center and if he continues to progress he may get bumped up but as for now no. He isn't ready. Totally different mindset having to produce every night and expected to deliver on all fronts every game.

Archived