The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do you see Vancouver finishing?

IBatch

After a busy offseason by our division rivals picking up some good players and picks (McDavid) where do you honestly see the Canucks finishing in our division and overall? I know last summer there was a lot of doom and gloom after missing the playoffs and the failed Torts experiment, and with Gillis finally being axed and Linden and Benning coming in there was a certain conservative optimism going into last year.

That said THN predicted the Canucks finishing 16th overall and just missing the wild card spot and missing the playoffs again. We finished 8th overall (but four points ahead of the last playoff team) and only twelve points behind the president trophy winner. So you could say we surprised some experts, but we also were two losses away from just making it, and that league parity has really balanced they playing field.

With the other teams in our division improving on paper I am sure the experts will repeat their predictions and say we miss the playoffs and rank even lower than last years rankings.

Personally I think this team will surprise again.

Why?

Miller isn't done yet. The Sedins aren't done yet. And we will play some of our prospects and they will provide the secondary scoring this team needs. Plus advanced stats show that Calgary was a lucky team last year and much like COL falling I see them doing the same, even with Hamilton and Frolic coming in. EDM hasn't done enough on their D to climb that far, and McDavid won't save them (yet). LA should be back and replace on of these teams but I don't see SJ doing the same. This means VAN has a good chance to have a similar season to last year and surprise a lot of people (again).

So I predict 2nd in our division and 8th overall...again. Yes go ahead a rip me, but I do think this team doesn't get the respect it should, and that includes it's fans.

College and University students will do particularly well this year as there will be no distractions for them during their finals in April.

Canadian Tire will have to find room in their warehouse to store the many boxes of Canucks car flags.

At least we'll have a top 5 pick.

I am a staunch Canucks fan and have been since the old Western Hockey League days...you remember those don't you? Andy Bathgate, Tony Esposito, etc. I've seen the very bad, bad, mediocre, good and great teams and players come and go for over 50 years. I've "lived and died" with these teams, from the glorious highs to the very sad lows...as much as I've been on the roller coaster ride, I've never abandoned "my" team.

I've also been very realistic about their abilities while hoping against hope they'd do something spectacular. With this post and being realistic, I think our boys have a decent chance of surprising again this year and making the playoffs, but I do see the need for change. Just making the playoffs and bowing out is not good enough.

One Bo Horvat is not enough. It's time to let some of the younger guns step up, if they show some promise. There are some gems in the rough, in my opinion...Virtanen, Shinkaruk, McCann, Cassels, Grenier, and others.

If the team isn't achieving towards the trade deadline, I could easily see Higgins, Vrbata, Prust, Burrows and Hamhuis going to playoff bound teams for draft picks and prospects. This would greatly speed up the re tooling process and would give us a crack at a top 5 pick.

Do I want the boys to make the playoffs? YES!!! But I want them to go far, otherwise I'd like to see the latter, even though it will mean short term pain for a long term gain.

I still have great faith in Trev and Jim...this will be a marker year to see how they do under their first "real" year (last year was an inherited team).

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

(By the way....first time post here)

The Canuck have been playing he game for a long time. There has been some highs and too many lows. For the coming season I think we will fight for playoff position and come up shy this year. That being said I also think the club is on track to re-make the team. After this season we will again be a better team.

As much as I'm in the we should get a good draft pick boat, the teams in our conferences are all very new looking. That doesn't mean instant success usually, the bad news is we play mostly eastern conference teams in the first half of the season.

1-2 teams will be legitamatley better, but I still think 2 that would be ahead of us right now will struggle to gel quickly... Oilers, Stars, Kings, Sharks

Archived