The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins: no intentions of leaving Canucks even if it means a supporting role

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lindquist-sedin-s-comfortable-staying-with-canucks-in-supporting-role-1.334590

Lindquist: Sedin's comfortable staying with Canucks in supporting role

Expressen reporter Jonatan Lindquist tells Sekeres and Paterson that - after talking with the Sedins in Sweden - the Twins prefer to stay in Vancouver and play out their contracts in an eventual supporting role. Lindquist also says the Sedins would be willing to move, if asked, but their preference is to be Canucks for life

Class. Regardless of what happens, these 2 are living legends. Rarely do you see such dedicated and humbled players in any sport in the modern day.

Makes you just keep appreciating the twins. Now that I come to think of it, if the Canucks can transition quickly enough and they're 2nd/3rd liners for us at age 37ish, imagine winning and them lifting the Cup then. Would absolutely lose it! The loyal, respected veterans raising Lord Stanley, what a fairy tale ending that would be!

I feel so lucky to have been able to watch these guys for as long as I have. Such beauties. They will literally do anything to help this organization and this City.

except the fact they took a raise instead of a pay cut on the back side of their careers. That really helped

Them being humble and loyal is what makes other team fans and players jealous..

They could have easily abandoned ship a long time ago, but have decided to stay.

Imagine if they had gone to somewhere like Chicago, LA, or in their prime in Detroit...

They would have multiple cups by now...

Them being humble and loyal is what makes other team fans and players jealous..

They could have easily abandoned ship a long time ago, but have decided to stay.

Imagine if they had gone to somewhere like Chicago, LA, or in their prime in Detroit...

They would have multiple cups by now...

Again, we were one win away from the Cup.

except the fact they took a raise instead of a pay cut on the back side of their careers. That really helped

They would have gotten way more on the FA market.. Teams like Chicago, Detroit, and Toronto were willing to pay top dollar for them..

They deserve any pay raise.

2 words

Raymond Borque.

From Boston to Colorado at like age 40, cup wiiner.

If the twins decided to do this, I'd stand behind them 100%

That was so touching to see him with a cup his last year. The last classy move Boston ever made.

2 words

Raymond Borque.

From Boston to Colorado at like age 40, cup wiiner.

If the twins decided to do this, I'd stand behind them 100%

Don't get the sentiment mostly expressed here. I agree with Warhippy. Vermette, Timonen ...

Why wouldn't you want to see two players you love skate around hoisting the Cup even if it is for a different team?

From one of the various other threads on this subject:

Does anyone have (or can find) a direct quote from either Sedin, stating that finishing their career in Vancouver is not a given or they're open to a trade ... a quote that's not from a so called journalist?

I just read two Swedish interviews where they said that returning home to Modo isn't a given and they want remain in Vancouver to compete again because they feel our young guys will be really strong in a couple years as they hand over the leadership roles.

Both translated via Google ...

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/trav365/article21116794.ab

"We have a contract for three years, so I hope we stay there."

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/nhl/sedinarna-tvekar-om-en-flytt-hem-till-modo/

This article specifically states they have no intention to end their careers on any other team, to get a better chance to win.

They do say they're aware of what could happen, but Henrik clarifies ... (Obviously translated)

"You always want to be a leader, but our hope is that there will be people who can push and take over. If we can continue to be good but not to be leaders, that means we have a good team. I hope it can be done over the next few years, because we have many young players who are on their way up. Over there I said after the season that I think we might have a chance to go far when these younger gotten better and is ready to take the plunge. Then we can be really good, says Henrik."

"I find it hard to see it actually. But we have a few years ahead of us with younger players and we do not really meant and how they see us, when it's our last year and it begins to approach the trading deadline. It is the seat where you take it year by year. But it is Vancouver that apply to us, clarifies Henry."

Edit: Obviously they know they could be traded, they know it's not a given, but their intentions are clear where they want to be.

That was so touching to see him with a cup his last year. The last classy move Boston ever made.

I see that the same way I did Andreychuk and Roberts hoisting a cup. Some players deserve it more than others. Seeing Borque hoist the cup was a piece of hockey history that should be shown in almost every montage around the playoffs

Don't get the sentiment mostly expressed here. I agree with Warhippy. Vermette, Timonen ...

Why wouldn't you want to see two players you love skate around hoisting the Cup even if it is for a different team?

I would be happy either way. If they stayed with us and retired as Canucks they would be among the last actual players to have done that. There's a kid in Arizona who started with Winnipeg who is set to retire having only played for 1 team, he's a beaut

But by and large I'd be happier were they to stay here, that being said if they want to go and win a cup I stand behind them 100%

Because if they do leave this team it is about as assured that they'll win as it was for Hossa with Pitts and then Det the following year before he found a home in Chi. Hossa went to back to back finals and lost. Laraque, same thing multiple cup finals no cup. And in more modern times we had Iginla who went to a powerhouse Pens team and lost, following year powerhouse Boston team and lost.

Watching the twins go elsewhere would hurt as I want to see their names on only one jersey in their NHL careers. But if they leave I wish them the best as a cup win is by no means assured

Archived