The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Virtanen and Baertschi have what it takes to be first liners?

Gretzky to Lemieux

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone here (including me) are always trying to come up with ways to find a true #1 center and #1 defensemen. Most of us agree that we have plenty of skill and some size on the wings and also have players who could be elite second line centers (Horvat and Mccann). I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but recently I've been debating whether or not we even have a future first line. What I mean by this is that is finding a number 1 center our main priority? Most people have penciled Virtanen and Baertschi as our future 1st line wingers, but the numbers they've put up in junior and the AHL isn't too impressive to me. I love the way Virtanen plays, but I'm starting to wonder if we made the wrong selection because Ehlers has a higher ceiling then Virtanen does. I know that Ehlers is small but the numbers he puts up are just too damn impressive which has led me wondering about our selection from last year. Again, I'm not trying to put our young guys down, I'm just trying to be a little realistic.

Everyone here (including me) are always trying to come up with ways to find a true #1 center and #1 defensemen. Most of us agree that we have plenty of skill and some size on the wings and also have players who could be elite second line centers (Horvat and Mccann). I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but recently I've been debating whether or not we even have a future first line. What I mean by this is that is finding a number 1 center our main priority? Most people have penciled Virtanen and Baertschi as our future 1st line wingers, but the numbers they've put up in junior and the AHL isn't too impressive to me. I love the way Virtanen plays, but I'm starting to wonder if we made the wrong selection because Ehlers has a higher ceiling then Virtanen does. I know that Ehlers is small but the numbers he puts up are just too damn impressive which has led me wondering about our selection from last year. Again, I'm not trying to put our young guys down, I'm just trying to be a little realistic.

If you're trying to be realistic, wait until they actually start playing in the NHL. For all we know, Virtanen could end up an AHLer for life, while Pettit ends up 1st line all star.

How about we stop putting sky high expectations on the kids for a change and actually support them as they develop?

Like ffs honestly. People are so impatient and it's boom or bust in their minds - become the next Gretzky or we failed. You do know teams are consisted of 4 forward lines and 3 defense pairings right? Yea, players can help anywhere on there where they're best suited. 1st liners/2nd liners, it'll be a success regardless.

Magic eightball says: Ask later.

I suggest adding players who are more sure fire superstars than any of these guys if we want to win. And even then nothing is guaranteed.

For now we have the Sedins. So what would you have us do? Trade Daniel so the mighty Ehlers gets his shot here?

How about we stop putting sky high expectations on the kids for a change and actually support them as they develop?

Like ffs honestly. People are so impatient and it's boom or bust in their minds - become the next Gretzky or we failed. You do know teams are consisted of 4 forward lines and 3 defense pairings right? Yea, players can help anywhere on there where they're best suited. 1st liners/2nd liners, it'll be a success regardless.

Why are you guys reacting so angrily? I know that it might be too early to tell but I just want to see if you guys think they could be first liners with the stats they are putting up RIGHT NOW.

Why are you guys reacting so angrily? I know that it might be too early to tell but I just want to see if you guys think they could be first liners with the stats they are putting up RIGHT NOW.

Honestly if Ehlers was the next Kane, he's in the Nhl already. So don't worry about it.

I like the style of hockey Virtanen plays, just so long as he can keep building up enough muscle to continue playing that same way against men instead of teenagers I'll be happy.

Baertschi I think has the talent, but will he show it off this year with the big club? He's been bounced around a bit by Calgary (or leap frogged by other prospects Hartley liked more), but had a fresh start in a new environment last year. He has always been an offensive talent, and I bet he wants to prove that he can do it on the Canucks. I think he can.

It's summertime, talk is thin around the NHL, calm down.

Even if they turn out to be 3rd line 35 point-ers that play significant roles on the team that would be somewhat of a success. Especially Baertschi who we got on the cheap.

Both are either boom or bust, high risk and high reward. My expectations of Virtanen have fallen significantly over this past year. Here's to hoping he has a great year this year.

Baertschi will either become an offensive dynamo or a career AHLer; there's no in-between for him. Virtanen's level of play tends to suit him for top line power-forward roles, but his skill set also lends itself to bottom six roles as well, so it's possible he'll end up there.

Ideally we would hope for a:

Baertschi - McCann - Virtanen

First line..If everything goes to plan and they develop well. (Something like that anyway)

Anything could happen though, hell what if in 4 Years our first line is:

Shink - Cassels - Boeser? Hard to tell at this stage. Any of them could develop or regress. Look how average Jensen has become. He was projected a top 6 forward, doubt many would say that now.

I like the style of hockey Virtanen plays, just so long as he can keep building up enough muscle to continue playing that same way against men instead of teenagers I'll be happy.

Baertschi I think has the talent, but will he show it off this year with the big club? He's been bounced around a bit by Calgary (or leap frogged by other prospects Hartley liked more), but had a fresh start in a new environment last year. He has always been an offensive talent, and I bet he wants to prove that he can do it on the Canucks. I think he can.

It's summertime, talk is thin around the NHL, calm down.

Even if they turn out to be 3rd line 35 point-ers that play significant roles on the team that would be somewhat of a success. Especially Baertschi who we got on the cheap.

It's pretty easy to like Gaudreau more than Baertschi.

Because it opens the door yet again to all the negative posters on this site that relish riling the CDC base up by slagging every player, prospect, coach, and manager.

Magic eightball says: Ask later.

I suggest adding players who are more sure fire superstars than any of these guys if we want to win. And even then nothing is guaranteed.

For now we have the Sedins. So what would you have us do? Trade Daniel so the mighty Ehlers gets his shot here?

I knew somebody gripped my magic eight >)

It's pretty easy to like Gaudreau more than Baertschi.

So go ahead and like Gaudreau more. Hockey talent aside (and he has that for sure), I almost hate Johnny already. Most of that angst is due to Jim Hughson's "Johnny Gaudreau" * calls all playoffs long. The rest is because he, or his publicist, have already set the Johnny Hockey brand in motion. I'm hoping Baertschi feels a little slighted and turns it up a bit here. He obviously didn't fit in in Calgary, and if he puts the nose to the grindstone here you never know what kind of player he'll top out as.

* thanks aj

So go ahead and like Gaudreau more. Hockey talent aside (and he has that for sure), I almost hate Johnny already. Most of that angst is due to "18 year old Johnny Gaudreau" type calls all playoffs long. The rest is because he, or his publicist, have already set the Johnny Hockey brand in motion. I'm hoping Baertschi feels a little slighted and turns it up a bit here. He obviously didn't fit in in Calgary, and if he puts the nose to the grindstone here you never know what kind of player he'll top out as.

Cannot stand Fraudreau as he's a Cgy player and because of his fake ass becoming this unearned pseudostar. Represents all that is going wrong with the sport today.

So go ahead and like Gaudreau more. Hockey talent aside (and he has that for sure), I almost hate Johnny already. Most of that angst is due to "18 year old Johnny Gaudreau" type calls all playoffs long. The rest is because he, or his publicist, have already set the Johnny Hockey brand in motion. I'm hoping Baertschi feels a little slighted and turns it up a bit here. He obviously didn't fit in in Calgary, and if he puts the nose to the grindstone here you never know what kind of player he'll top out as.

Gaudreau is 21. You're mixed up with Bennett. Still, the ol' "IT'S JOHNNY GAUDREAU!!!!!" did get a tad old.

I don't care much for stats anymore. It's what they bring to the table night in and night out. Virtanen brings intimidation, speed, size and a hard forecheck. Baertschi brings fire, and creativity. I like that. You can win games 1-0 so you don't need ridiculous numbers to be a winner in this league. If they bring what I mentioned above to the table consistently then they're first liners in my mind because that would be enough to inspire the rest of the team to play well even if they're having an off night which makes the team fun to watch.

Archived