The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shocking case of racist cabbie abuse in Calgary caught on video

TheFirstLine

Shocking Video Shows Horrific Racist Tirade Unleashed On Calgary cab driver

Passenger Berates Canadian Taxi Driver, A Calgary cab driver says she's still trying to recover from the emotional wounds of a vicious verbal attack that happened almost two years ago. Global News released a video Monday that shows an unidentified man unleash a long and abusive racist tirade against Checker Cab driver. According to Global, Qayyum picked up the passenger from downtown Calgary on a November night in 2013. The man wanted to stop for fast food on his way home, but the taxi chit expired in 13 minutes. The passenger, angry about his lack of time, began to berate Qayyum. Meanwhile, dashboard video surveillance captured the lengthy attack.

"You son-of-a-bitch, you fing (expletive), go back to where youre from, take your wife and four kids," the passenger yelled.

He continued with: "what are you fing going to, strap a bomb to your body, huh?" According to the Calgary Herald, the man broke the camera before leaving the cab, despite Qayyum agreeing to stop so the man could get food. The man paid to have the camera fixed, reports the Herald, but was not charged at the time.

RCMP say they are now investigating. Last week, the City of Calgary announced that every taxi in Calgary will be required to display a Passenger and Driver Bill of Rights, to enforce rules for appropriate conduct. As of July 15, passengers are allowed to direct the route taken by a driver, and must be courteous. Drivers may ask passengers for deposits of up to $30 and can tell abusive or disorderly passengers to leave their cab. The city's decision to require a posted Bill of Rights in each taxi comes shortly after a Calgary United Cabs driver was suspended for telling two male passengers that they couldn't kiss in his car.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7843382

Racism at its finest, glad the person is finally being identified. The cab driver showed a lot of patience, something I wouldn't have in that particular situation.

"According to Global, Qayyum picked up the passenger from downtown Calgary on a November night in 2013"

Nice clickbait headline there HuffPost.

The only actual news about this is the change to standards of cab rules.

I guess HuffPost enjoys recycling outrage.

I like how the last line threw in a gay rights issue as well.

I remain unshocked though. Calgary? Racist? Nah. And it looks to me like the taxi system over there is flawed. Fix it and this incident from 2013 doesn't happen.

Eh, there are a few things.

Still waiting on evolving of secondary suites laws here.

Even in recession, the demand here is ridiculous.

Here's the updated Global link:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2125439/man-who-unleashed-racist-abuse-on-calgary-cab-driver-identified/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

Criminal and human rights lawyer and former crown prosecutor Jeinis Patel is having trouble understanding why RCMP officers only re-opened the case after Global News aired the video.

“When you see something that is racially motivated—and I do believe this was racially motivated—and there’s enough justification in the video to support that, you wonder why the police officer did not pursue the charges,” said Patel.

After the assault, Qayyum filed a complaint with police and while the passenger paid for damage to the cab, RCMP decided not to lay charges.

Qayyum didn’t feel the investigating officer took him seriously when he originally brought his complaint forward.

“She (the RCMP officer) said it’s a waste of time of court because there is nothing in it. (She said) he’s a nice guy, he’s ready to pay, he has no criminal record.”

The RCMP have since reopened their investigation after Global News contacted them.

Shocking Video Shows Horrific Racist Tirade Unleashed On Calgary cab driver

Passenger Berates Canadian Taxi Driver, A Calgary cab driver says she's still trying to recover from the emotional wounds of a vicious verbal attack that happened almost two years ago. Global News released a video Monday that shows an unidentified man unleash a long and abusive racist tirade against Checker Cab driver. According to Global, Qayyum picked up the passenger from downtown Calgary on a November night in 2013. The man wanted to stop for fast food on his way home, but the taxi chit expired in 13 minutes. The passenger, angry about his lack of time, began to berate Qayyum. Meanwhile, dashboard video surveillance captured the lengthy attack.

"You son-of-a-bitch, you fing (expletive), go back to where youre from, take your wife and four kids," the passenger yelled.

He continued with: "what are you fing going to, strap a bomb to your body, huh?" According to the Calgary Herald, the man broke the camera before leaving the cab, despite Qayyum agreeing to stop so the man could get food. The man paid to have the camera fixed, reports the Herald, but was not charged at the time.

RCMP say they are now investigating. Last week, the City of Calgary announced that every taxi in Calgary will be required to display a Passenger and Driver Bill of Rights, to enforce rules for appropriate conduct. As of July 15, passengers are allowed to direct the route taken by a driver, and must be courteous. Drivers may ask passengers for deposits of up to $30 and can tell abusive or disorderly passengers to leave their cab. The city's decision to require a posted Bill of Rights in each taxi comes shortly after a Calgary United Cabs driver was suspended for telling two male passengers that they couldn't kiss in his car.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7843382

Racism at its finest, glad the person is finally being identified. The cab driver showed a lot of patience, something I wouldn't have in that particular situation.

I'm pretty sure the cab driver in the video is a man!

I like how the last line threw in a gay rights issue as well.

I remain unshocked though. Calgary? Racist? Nah. And it looks to me like the taxi system over there is flawed. Fix it and this incident from 2013 doesn't happen.

Pretty ignorant comment. Fix the taxi system and racism goes away? Really, after watching that video that is your area of focus. As a born and bred Canadian it makes me sick that racist's like this don't get there butts thrown in jail for these types of vicious attacks. Absolute joke. We as a society should condemn pricks like this every opportunity we get.

Pretty ignorant comment. Fix the taxi system and racism goes away? Really, after watching that video that is your area of focus. As a born and bred Canadian it makes me sick that racist's like this don't get there butts thrown in jail for these types of vicious attacks. Absolute joke. We as a society should condemn pricks like this every opportunity we get.

The racist idiot was drunk, but he ultimately settled with the driver already for damages done, as the RCMP had determined prior to this media witchhunt.

If the cabbie had merely done what the drunk guy asked to do in the first place, there is no incident. If i'm the cabbie I have no issue with running up the drunk idiot's bill while he does drunk things like getting fast food en route to his destination. Not doing so was a failure by the cabbie, who no doubt runs into drunk idiots all the time, as it's part of his job.

Not excusing the racism here, but the incident was completely avoidable. And pardon me, but the incident was from 2013. It's a joke that the 'case' has been re-opened now. But whatever.

ps. If the driver was white, the drunken idiot would've been equally as mad at him.

Those cabbies have it lucky compared to Vancouver bus drivers. It sucks that people are so terrible, but it's not even remotely shocking to me. I'm fairly sure most of us have experienced racism, I sure have.

I'm certainly not interested in any commentary of which race is worse than than others regarding racism, it's individuals that are bad, not races. It stands to reason the race with the highest percentage of population in a an given area will have the most instances of racism in said area, in Calgary it's also compounded by shaved heads, Tapout shirts, huge white watches and bank financed 10' tall Pick-up Trucks.

Archived