The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Movie Theater Shooting, 8 people shot in Lafayette, Louisiana

Yep, right on queue the anti-gun crowd is out in full force.

Clearly the solution is to pass a bunch of restrictive laws, and then expect criminals to follow them. Disarming law-abiding citizens, effectively killing their ability to defend themselves from these crazies, is not the answer.

Clearly the solution is to pass a bunch of restrictive laws, and then expect criminals to follow them. Disarming law-abiding citizens, effectively killing their ability to defend themselves from these crazies, is not the answer.

Even if both the bad guy and the good guy are armed, the bad guy will always have the clear advantage of killing you first because he is the on who will be shooting first.

Even if both the bad guy and the good guy are armed, the bad guy will always have the clear advantage of killing you first because he is the on who will be shooting first.

Yeah, if you're the unsuspecting target you are generally fracked. The same could be said for bad guys wielding knives or baseball bats.

If you're an armed spectator, you have the potential to stop the bloodshed. Otherwise you are just a sitting duck.

Easily a benefit for those who need to defend themselves. Criminals have an easier time than the law abiding populace in getting guns. Law abiding citizens face various obstacles depending on their jurisdiction. Thankfully many of those have been uprooted in court, which understands at minimum there should be very few limitations upon gun ownership in a place where people have to regularly defend themselves from violent criminals.

http://www.theonion.com/article/gorilla-sales-skyrocket-after-latest-gorilla-attac-30860

What can you say.. they resemble both a mob and the court of public opinion. Then they wonder why courts keep ruling against them. :lol:

Except it's generally the law abiding citizen doing this. Nobody defaults to criminal. :ph34r:

Residents to unite to block Westboro Baptist Church from picketing victims' funerals

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/2015/07/24/westboro-baptist-church-tweets-theyll-picket-shooting-victims-funerals/30624759/

those people better stay out of the state of louisiana and the area of lafayette,they don't wanna mess with a bunch of crazy cajuns

So what is your solution? Seems like the pro-gun "everything's fine, nothing needs to be done" mantra is playing right into these shooters' hands.

BTW: Most of them were law abiding, up until the moment they pulled that trigger...

Yeah, if you're the unsuspecting target you are generally fracked. The same could be said for bad guys wielding knives or baseball bats.

If you're an armed spectator, you have the potential to stop the bloodshed. Otherwise you are just a sitting duck.

Lol I just love this scenario of armed good guys everywhere on constant guard for bad guys.

c56xk.jpg

I literally have never heard of a law abiding citizen defending themselves with their gun....

Granted I don't bother too much with what is considered news.

Most of the time all I hear if is incidents like this where the law abiding citiZen is continually the victim, and some idiot accidentally shooting them self, a family member, or a child doing the same.

Guns. &^@# yeah!

So what is your solution? Seems like the pro-gun "everything's fine, nothing needs to be done" mantra is playing right into these shooters' hands.

BTW: Most of them were law abiding, up until the moment they pulled that trigger...

Most normal, rational and sane people don't suddenly wake up one day and go, "Oh hey, I wanna go down to the local theater, pay $10 for a movie ticket, perhaps grab some popcorn.... and while sitting, I'm gonna go and shoot up the place."

It probably means there's some mental issues going on. The key is to have programs and support to help people who are suffering. Banning guns doesn't mean unstable folks won't do bad things. Some guy in China killed like 20+ people with a knife a few years back.... then there's the beheading on a Greyhound bus.... both cases are related to mental disease, not a knife problem. Yet if a firearm was used... it would be labeled as a gun problem.

I literally have never heard of a law abiding citizen defending themselves with their gun....

Most of the time all I hear if is incidents like this where the law abiding citiZen is continually the victim, and some idiot accidentally shooting them self, a family member, or a child doing the same.

Guns. frack yeah!

Guns are used as the last resort. The presence of a firearm is primarily used as a deterrence.

Most normal, rational and sane people don't suddenly wake up one day and go, "Oh hey, I wanna go down to the local theater, pay $10 for a movie ticket, perhaps grab some popcorn.... and while sitting, I'm gonna go and shoot up the place."

It probably means there's some mental issues going on. The key is to have programs and support to help people who are suffering. Banning guns doesn't mean unstable folks won't do bad things. Some guy in China killed like 20+ people with a knife a few years back.... then there's the beheading on a Greyhound bus.... both cases are related to mental disease, not a knife problem. Yet if a firearm was used... it would be labeled as a gun problem.

Guns are used as the last resort. The presence of a firearm is primarily used as a deterrence.

Gangbangers don't do it either. Kind of makes the whole, "Criminals don't follow the law" an irrelevant argument, don't it.

You're right, the issue is mental illness. And the solution is stricter standards on who may possess a gun and how it is kept. If you read the posts in various threads on this topic, the same people keep pointing this out. We're not out to ban guns, we're out to make sure only sane people can get them.

Yet somehow this point keeps slipping past gun right defenders.

Does China have knife massacres on a regular basis? And I don't think the Greyhound case applies. By the same token you could use any murder by drowning to facetiously suggest banning bath tubs. Yet neither are mass massacres, they just have mental illness as a factor.

Despite all other means of murdering our fellow man, somehow guns continue to be the tool of choice for American crazies. Nobody else seems to have this problem. Coincidentally, nobody else hands out guns willy nilly either.

Most normal and rational people can also understand the depth of necessity in the United States for self-defence. Likewise, the Supreme Court does too, even if there's plenty of local jurisdictions that wish to curb rights because dumb personal politics or personal belief (or personal paranoia) that others don't need to protect themselves.

It's a very enjoyable time watching their arguments fall on their face in the court of rationality, leading them to only show up to piss and moan after every mass shooting right on cue when the media beckons them to. :lol:

Guns. frack yeah!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/lynne-russell-journalist-describes-brush-with-death-after-gun-battle-1.3135192

Stricter gun laws don't really help. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country...handguns are flat out illegal within Chicago city limits. Yet, gang members are constantly shooting each other with handguns within the city limits. So how effective are these strict gun laws really?

Most of these guns gang members/criminals possess have been obtained illegally. Stricter gun laws wont help because they're not the ones going into the store and buying them, they get them from people who can obtain them legally no matter how strict the laws. The stricter laws only make selling the guns to people who can't get them on their own a more lucrative business.

The real problem is that once a person takes the necessary and legal steps to purchase firearms, they can purchase as many friggin firearms as they want. In my opinion, limiting the number of firearms a person can have registered to their name is a start. No reason a person should need more than three guns...so why let them buy 50 of them. Its insane.

People will always be able to obtain guns legally, the right to bear arms isn't changing any time soon. The least they can do is prevent people from bearing other people with arms though. Having no limit on the number of guns one can possess is basically allowing any person with a FOID card to become illegal gun distributors.

Thanks rake. Quite an event. The victim here was obviously well trained to be able to achieve this outcome in such a confined space and not injuring any other guests.

I was being a bit extreme in my post but it still seems the ratio is way off between incidents like this and the ones I described.

Archived