The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour-Eklund] Canucks interested in Fehr?

Provost

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Stepan-Wilson-Sign-Deals-Avoid-Arbitration-Rumors-Update-Mons-Buzzcast/1/70171

Not an unreasonable suggestion even if it is an Eklund rumour.

Could be this year's Matthias who signs a cheap 1 year deal and gives us some extra depth as our 4C and allowing a young guy like Gaunce to stay in the minors and be available for injury call up.

Fehr is a better winger than centre though, right?

If we are looking for a 4C I'd prefer if we went after a guy like Goc.

Fehr not! He was a 52% face-off man, which is even better than Bo Horvat, and at 6'4", 212 he's 3 inches and 15 lbs heavier than Goc (who's also been injury-ridden), which should only help Eric battle out west. I hope he becomes our 4th line center.

Big body, can play W or C, good for 30 points, probably could be signed for a low contract at this point. I doubt there's any validity to the rumour, but it would be a pretty shrewd signing for any team - a player who will can do well in a 4th line role and step into the top-9 if needed.

Dorsett - Prust - Fehr is a pretty legitimate 4th line. Looks like GMJB wants character, hard working role players to help mentor and give time and space for the young up-and-comers.

Anyway, I think a Fehr or someone similar on a 1-year, would be a good signing for the Canucks.

Initially on a bust path, he finally strung together some healthy seasons recently, but unfortunately ended last one banged up with a shoulder and elbow injury. He's still recovering from the elbow surgery he had on June 4.

At least a $2mil cap hit, he's a 'meh' level stop-gap until Virtanen is 'ready', or filler if another trade happens.

Fehr is a better winger than centre though, right?

If we are looking for a 4C I'd prefer if we went after a guy like Goc.

I think he was shuffled to wing because of centre depth... I think he plays either position reasonably well, especially at a price tag of $1 million or so.

We have to fill that roster spot somehow, and a young rookie isn't going to be that much cheaper.

We've got too many bottom 6 players as it is.

If we're spending anymore money I'd rather spend it on the Hoff. He'd have way more of an impact.

We have too many bottom six wingers, but only 3 centres on the roster (depending on how you count Vey). It is either an extra body from the farm or a signing to fill that spot in any case.

You only sign him if it is value deal at $1.25 million or less. That is not too much more than the $900k you are paying one of our young guys if they play in the NHL. This way you have them in reserve for injuries. If you start day one with one of those guys, and then a couple injuries hit, you are stuck with wasting a draft pick to find a depth fill-in guy.

We have too many bottom six wingers, but only 3 centres on the roster. It is either an extra body from the farm or a signing to fill that spot in any case.

You only sign him if it is value deal at $1.25 million or less. That is not too much more than the $900k you are paying one of our young guys if they play in the NHL. This way you have them in reserve for injuries. If you start day one with one of those guys, and then a couple injuries hit, you are stuck with wasting a draft pick to find a depth fill-in guy.

Pointless to be filling that spot with a guy like Fehr.

Leave it open for guys like Vey, Friesen, and Cassels. If they don't make the cut, then sign a plug come October.

Paying 6.5 million for a 4th line is ridiculous.

Pointless to be filling that spot with a guy like Fehr.

Leave it open for guys like Vey, Friesen, and Cassels. If they don't make the cut, then sign a plug come October.

Paying 6.5 million for a 4th line is ridiculous.

Paying 6.5 for a 4th is ridiculous but just because Benning overpaid for Dorsett and acquired an expensive Prust doesn't mean signing a player like Fehr for a 1-2 million contract would be a bad move.

Vey has a legit shot at the 4C spot but there is very litte insurance as far as C go. Jones is really the only option as of right now.

Friesen put together his first okay season in the AHL but certainly isn't close to NHL ready. Cassels will be coming in without a summer of training because of rehab and will likely as well not be close to cracking an NHL roster.

We've got too many bottom 6 players as it is.

If we're spending anymore money I'd rather spend it on the Hoff. He'd have way more of an impact.

We've got too many D also. We already traded Bieksa so we don't lose young RHD. And signed Bartkowski for the line up spot Christian would take up. I'm not saying he would not be better. Just that you got to clear room on the roster.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Clendenning

Sbisa Corrado

Bartkowski Weber

Just looking at that makes my head spin. We're already over committed in averageness. I would have preferred Ehrrhof to several guys.

Back on topic. Fehr basically relegates Kenins to the minors is the way I would look at that.

Oh yeah... Fehr was the guy who lost the draw on NY's series-clinching goal. He played just 7 mins in that OT game, mostly in the d-zone. It was his only game of the series. He was still hurting from an Okposo hit earlier in the playoffs. At this point, with his current status and overall injury history, any NHL job at all would be a boon for Fehr. So Welcome to Vancouver?

We've got too many D also. We already traded Bieksa so we don't lose young RHD. And signed Bartkowski for the line up spot Christian would take up. I'm not saying he would not be better. Just that you got to clear room on the roster.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Clendenning

Sbisa Corrado

Bartkowski Weber

Just looking at that makes my head spin. We're already over committed in averageness. I would have preferred Ehrrhof to several guys.

Back on topic. Fehr basically relegates Kenins to the minors is the way I would look at that.

Signing Weber was a big mistake. He is to Willie, what Rome was to AV.

All he is going to do is take away powerplay minutes from guys like Clendening and Corrado. If we`re going to do that, I`d rather have Ehrhoff who is a far superior D-man.

Coaches are always short sighted and will focus on winning games. It`s up to Benning to force Wilie`s hand and give Corrado and Clendening more minutes. He won`t do that as long as Weber is signed.

Paying 6.5 for a 4th is ridiculous but just because Benning overpaid for Dorsett and acquired an expensive Prust doesn't mean signing a player like Fehr for a 1-2 million contract would be a bad move.

Vey has a legit shot at the 4C spot but there is very litte insurance as far as C go. Jones is really the only option as of right now.

Friesen put together his first okay season in the AHL but certainly isn't close to NHL ready. Cassels will be coming in without a summer of training because of rehab and will likely as well not be close to cracking an NHL roster.

Well if you sign Fehr, you pretty much say to those guys good luck getting a spot on our team. Even if they are long shots, they still need hope that there`s a realistic spot available for them to earn.

Fehr doesn`t represent anything we couldn`t acquire after training camp.

Archived