The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Sutter worth?

Stelar

Sounds like Benning wants to sign Sutter to an extension in the next few days. After the outrage to the Sbisa and Dorsett extensions, please post now what you think Sutter is worth. Dollar and term. This way you can't bitch after he is extended about how it's too much for too long. Unless of course Benning spends way too much for way too long

I would do 3.75-4 M for 3-4 years

I must be missing something. Does Sutter have something over Bonino? It seems that Bonino gets more points than Sutter. The only thing I can see is his size. Beyond that, I don't see how he's worth more. Can anyone enlighten me?

I must be missing something. Does Sutter have something over Bonino? It seems that Bonino gets more points than Sutter. The only thing I can see is his size. Beyond that, I don't see how he's worth more. Can anyone enlighten me?

Well Sutter was playing behind Malkin and Crosby

Bonino defaulted into the second line here. Reverse the two and I am guessing the stats change.

Well Sutter was playing behind Malkin and Crosby

Bonino defaulted into the second line here. Reverse the two and I am guessing the stats change.

Oh, I see, so the idea is he got his numbers on the third line, which is why they're so impressive?

Would love to be closer to 4M per, but could see it as being closer or a bit over 5M per year. Term 3-6 years, depending on what the Canucks believe in him, and what kind of security he is looking for.

Remember that salaries are typically done relative to the other signings and to the new cap, and not what were the convenient standards back in the day or what we think are fair.

I agree Sutter is an upgrade on Bonino but is he worth what JB gave up to get him? A 3rd round for a 2nd pick, a Dman that was to run 2nd power play unit and to start with1.4 mill higher cap hit that Canucks are short on due to Millers 6 mill, Sbisa's 3.6 mill and Dorsett's 2.5 mill. I like him but gave up far more than Canucks should have. These deals are starting to shade Bennings reputation and his contract signings looks like he is an easy mark!

As with Dorsett and Sbisa, as well as with the Prust deal, Benning seems to value character and grit highly, even if it means losing scoring ability. With that, hopefully he's not paid much more than $4 million, but I can't help but feel that he'll be getting that, if not more.

Also can't help but feel that in a couple years we'll be where Phoenix/ Arizona was. They've been built around up the middle around several two-way guys (Vermette, Hanzal; we'll have Bo and Sutter/ McCann/ Cassels after the Twins decline) and we might not have much scoring if our prospects don't develop well.

3.7M-3.8M over 4 years is my guess.

He's probably worth between 3.6M - 4.2M

Woudn't be upset with anything in that range if the term is right for the dollar figure.

I think he's going to evolve into a much better player here out underneath the shadow of Crosby/Malkin. I actually feel a little better about the team now vs the division. The sky was falling with Hamiltion, Lucic etc but this makes us imo at least a contender for a playoff spot if most the stars allign again.

It depends on our other guys. With McCaan and Cassels coming up, in 2 years Sutter might be a 4th liner. However if he plays very well he could be a good trade piece.

I'd give him a 3yr deal so that we can ship him out after 2. 3 mill sounds good.

Sutter is a great 2-way forward, who plays a much better defensive game than Bonino. He has more size and speed, and is a right handed centre which helps.

His face-off percentage was pretty close to Hanks last year, and he got his 33 points playing the 3rd line last year averaging almost 2m TOI less than Bonino.

I like this trade, it will be interesting to see the battle between Sutter and Horvat for second line centre duties.

6'3 and he's actually a center who can win draws.

Archived