The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 Post Sutter Trade

tybarber

7/28/2015 Benning on with Sekeres and Price.

-Been talking to Rutherford for a couple weeks

-3rd round pick is going to be the best one of Pitt's, could be Buff's (which is our prev 3rd sent to NYI for Pedan) or NYI's

-2nd round is Anaheim's

-He calls the draft pick trade a wash

-Expects to sign a deal with Sutter in the next few days.

-Gives us another great two-way center, our 1-2-3 C's are all good defensively, Edm and CGY have drafted some good young offensive forwards, and the only way to compete is to make sure we have good two way players who can chip in offensively

-Will Bo/Sutter be the future 1-2 punch? Hard to project that far ahead, but thinks Bo can be a top line player with 20-25 goals per season.

-Expects Vey to have a strong year, and is happy with the center depth (mentions mccann and cassells)

-Nick Bonino great teammate, smart guy, good hands, had higher hopes for the 2nd PP, but was still an important player. Bonino liked Van and playing here.

- Sutter is a foundation player, he's a leader, has intangibles, plays hard important minutes, provides offence, he's "worth it" as he gives the team more options/speed/shows up in playoffs. Benning thinks its an upgrade.

-The opening roster will probably carry extra forwards as opposed to defenceman. They're still looking for D, however only if it's a dollar for dollar type trade.

- Alex Grenier does not need waivers next year, could be the extra forward, will compete for a spot with Kenins, Virtanen, Blair Jones (those are the three he mentions specifically).

-Has high hopes for Corrado/Biega/Fedun and expects them to compete for spots.

-Hard to include Clendenning, he's a PMD, good at zone exits. Didn't want to have two young Defenseman in the 7/8 holes not playing. Pitt wanted him, so they had to include him, Benning expects him to be a good player in the NHL.

When he mentions guys specifically, it makes me think he has really high hopes for them and kind of puts other prospects at bay. I.e, I think Shinkaruk/Guance are going to be in the AHL for at least another year, maybe get some call ups.

It does not appear we are going after Franson.

He would not go into details on term/AAV for Sutter, but just that he expects a deal to get done. I can't imagine they would have pulled off a trade without first talking with Sutter's reps to make sure they could get a deal done.

I remember feeling this way last year around this time. Fully of uncertainty because of all the roster/management changes, then as the season went on I really had to give management credit for turning the Canucks into an exciting team to watch again, while getting them back to a playoff position. You can pick out all the negatives you want from last season, but overall I'd say it was pretty successful. Much credit for the WD hire, because if I had to watch another season with Torts' system I was ready to stop watching.

This year we're on the same off-season rollercoaster, with a ton of trades that many people probably didn't see coming at all, and I'm sure some more moves to come. Just the fact that Benning is trying SOMETHING makes me excited for the future of this team. The previous GM was so happy sitting and waiting, while most of the fans could see the glaring holes in the team's game. Now we have a GM that is willing to take those risks.

thank you, much appreciated.

I believe an extension deal is basically already done for Sutter. He is in Holland right now and coming back later this week. Benning says "a deal should be done in the next few days" (IE: just need him to come home and sign)

-3rd round pick is going to be the best one of Pitt's, could be Buff's (which is our prev 3rd sent to NYI for Pedan) or NYI's

-2nd round is Anaheim's

-Gives us another great two-way center, our 1-2-3 C's are all good defensively, Edm and CGY have drafted some good young offensive forwards, and the only way to compete is to make sure we have good two way players who can chip in offensively

-Will Bo/Sutter be the future 1-2 punch? Hard to project that far ahead, but thinks Bo can be a top line player with 20-25 goals per season.

-Expects Vey to have a strong year, and is happy with the center depth (mentions mccann and cassells)

-Nick Bonino great teammate, smart guy, good hands, had higher hopes for the 2nd PP, but was still an important player. Bonino liked Van and playing here.

- Sutter is a foundation player, he's a leader, has intangibles, plays hard important minutes, provides offence, he's "worth it" as he gives the team more options/speed/shows up in playoffs. Benning thinks its an upgrade.

-The opening roster will probably carry extra forwards as opposed to defenceman. They're still looking for D, however only if it's a dollar for dollar type trade.

- Alex Grenier does not need waivers next year, could be the extra forward, will compete for a spot with Kenins, Virtanen, Blair Jones (those are the three he mentions specifically).

-Hard to include Clendenning, he's a PMD, good at zone exits. Didn't want to have two young Defenseman in the 7/8 holes not playing. Pitt wanted him, so they had to include him, Benning expects him to be a good player in the NHL.

When he mentions guys specifically, it makes me think he has really high hopes for them and kind of puts other prospects at bay. I.e, I think Shinkaruk/Guance are going to be in the AHL for at least another year, maybe get some call ups.

He would not go into details on term/AAV for Sutter, but just that he expects a deal to get done. I can't imagine they would have pulled off a trade without first talking with Sutter's reps to make sure they could get a deal done.

Nice report..thanks...Blair Jones..the 28 year old Blair Jones with 7 NHL goals??..I would rather go with Shink or Gaunce.

I remember feeling this way last year around this time. Fully of uncertainty because of all the roster/management changes, then as the season went on I really had to give management credit for turning the Canucks into an exciting team to watch again, while getting them back to a playoff position. You can pick out all the negatives you want from last season, but overall I'd say it was pretty successful. Much credit for the WD hire, because if I had to watch another season with Torts' system I was ready to stop watching.

This year we're on the same off-season rollercoaster, with a ton of trades that many people probably didn't see coming at all, and I'm sure some more moves to come. Just the fact that Benning is trying SOMETHING makes me excited for the future of this team. The previous GM was so happy sitting and waiting, while most of the fans could see the glaring holes in the team's game. *Now we have a GM that is willing to take those risks.*

* and he gets slammed for it

Nice report..thanks...Blair Jones..the 28 year old Blair Jones with 7 NHL goals??..I would rather go with Shink or Gaunce.

Ha ya, I was thinking the same thing. I mean, it is a pressure situation. For all we know he could just be listing the first names that come to his mind or he could just be trolling all of us haha.

-Been talking to Rutherford for a couple weeks. - More like months and months. He wanted Sutter for Kesler, but Kesler wanted Anaheim.

-3rd round pick is going to be the best one of Pitt's, could be Buff's (which is our prev 3rd sent to NYI for Pedan) or NYI's.

-2nd round is anaheim's

-He calls the draft pick trade a wash - Then why do it? Just seems like a needless cost.

-Expects to sign a deal with Sutter in the next few days. - $5mil per at least. But at least we have a big center again, until he's shifted to wing for unknown reasons.

-Gives us another great two-way center, our 1-2-3 C's are all good defensively, Edm and CGY have drafted some good young offensive forwards, and the only way to compete is to make sure we have good two way players who can chip in offensively - They are? Alright. Looks like Benning's sided with the reality that this team is sliding in our division though. Yay reality.

-Will Bo/Sutter be the future 1-2 punch? Hard to project that far ahead, but thinks Bo can be a top line player with 20-25 goals per season. - Please save us Bosus!

-Expects Vey to have a strong year, and is happy with the center depth (mentions mccann and cassells) - Vey to get more unearned opportunities! Yay!

-Nick Bonino great teammate, smart guy, good hands, had higher hopes for the 2nd PP, but was still an important player. Bonino liked Van and playing here. - Looks like the simple reality of him being a powerplay benefector in Anaheim hit hard. He managed to put up frack all here running our 2nd unit. Maybe he'll be better in Pittsburgh, as long as he's a benefactor again. Good luck to him.

- Sutter is a foundation player, he's a leader, has intangibles, plays hard important minutes, provides offence, he's "worth it" as he gives the team more options/speed/shows up in playoffs. Benning thinks its an upgrade. - Sutter is a stopgap. He helps our younger and/or softer players from being totally demolished in reg. season games. This will help us maintain bubble team status. Winning environment.

-The opening roster will probably carry extra forwards as opposed to defenceman. They're still looking for D, however only if it's a dollar for dollar type trade. - More trades to come. Wooooo!

- Alex Grenier does not need waivers next year, could be the extra forward, will compete for a spot with Kenins, Virtanen, Blair Jones (those are the three he mentions specifically). - Meat. Potatoes.

-Has high hopes for Corrado/Biega/Fedun and expects them to compete for spots. - Man, we need D.

-Hard to include Clendenning, he's a PMD, good at zone exits. Didn't want to have two young Ds in the 7/8 holes not playing. Pitt wanted him, so they had to include him, Benning expects him to be a good player in the NHL. - It's pretty much been all about what the other team wants in trades these days, hasn't it.

No need to be sorry, that was a great write up!

Thanks OP, great for those (like me) that can't listen to the radio, but wants to know what was said right away. :)

I agree. Great write-up. This trade explains a cryptic comment from Baertschi's agent that a deal would take a while because of Canuck cap issues. Presumably the Canucks needed to know how much cap room they had. This cuts into their cap room They now have $2.2 million in cap room, not counting bonus commitments. But they probably want to leave room for bonus commitments as otherwise earned bonuses come off the cap the following year. The big potential bonus is for Horvat and he has a shot at earning it. After subtracting bonuses the Canucks have about 1.2 million in cap room and they want to leave a few hundred thousand to accommodate small moves, like having Virtanen instead of Kenins in the line-up to start the year.

So they have about $1 million they could reasonably give to Baertschi. I expect a deal to be announced fairly soon. And I hope and expect it will be for $1 million or less.

Whether you like or hate the trade, there's no denying JB is committed to building a team with a particular culture, direction, and style. Clearly he is looking to create a team of speed, physicality, character and an emphasis on two way play, while filling some holes with guys who bring a more skilled aspect to the game (Sven, Vey, etc.)

I tend to remember all of CDC complaining during our competitive era a few years back that we lacked the toughness and grit to compete in a 7 game series, so I find it funny that CDC is now complaining that we have too much grit and not enough skill. I guess this board wouldn't get any traffic if everyone agreed with each other all the time, so I respect those who have issues with JB and the direction of this team. However I personally think that while we may have been on the wrong end of value with our trades, we are at least creating a roster with an identity.

-2nd round is Anaheim's

I hope Benning is right about Sutter being a foundational player, but there are several things about his comments that bother me.

1. "The draft pick swap is a wash."

This is not true. The Canucks lower 2nd round pick (likely Anaheim's) probably has an expected value of about 25th in the round. The higher 3rd round pick from Pitt probably has an expected value of 7th or 8th in the 3rd round. So we are looking at overall 55 versus overall 67 or so -- maybe 12 spots lower. There is a decent chance that a player you want goes somewhere in those 12 spots. It is not a big deal, but it is something.

2. Benning is about to sign Sutter to an extension. I am scared about the numbers. Probably north of $4 million given that his current cap hit is 3.3. Bonino is at 1.9 million for the next two years. That is a big extra cap hit.

3. In terms of usage and performance and age and size Sutter and Bonino are pretty similar: good 3C or marginal 2C, good on PK, can play shutdown. Benning believes Sutter is an upgrade but at this stage it is just belief. On the numbers they are pretty similar.

4. The Canucks also "throw in" Clendening. Wow. I had him ahead of Corrado and likely to play on the 3rd pairing next year, maybe even replacing Weber on the 2nd pairing and on the PP.

The Canucks gave up a lot to exchange Sutter for Bonino.

Also, if Benning is counting on Vey to have a strong year next year I am really nervous. He might, but it is a long shot.

I hope Benning is right about Sutter being a foundational player, but there are several things about his comments that bother me.

This is not true. The Canucks lower 2nd round pick (likely Anaheim's) probably has an expected value of about 25th in the round. The higher 3rd round pick from Pitt probably has an expected value of 7th or 8th in the 3rd round. So we are looking at overall 55 versus overall 67 or so -- maybe 12 spots lowers. There is a decent chance that a player you want goes somewhere in those 12 spots. It is not a big deal, but it is something.

2. Benning is about to sign Sutter to an extension. I am scared about the numbers. Probably north of $4 million given that his current cap hit is 3.3. Bonino is at 1.9 million for the next two years. That is a big extra cap hit.

3. In terms of usage and performance and age and size Sutter and Bonino are pretty similar: good 3C or marginal 2C, good on PK, can play shutdown. Benning believes Sutter is an upgrade but at this stage it is just belief. On the numbers they are pretty similar.

4. The Canucks also "throw in" Clendening. Wow. I had him ahead of Corrado and likely to play on the 3rd pairing next year, maybe even replacing Weber on the 2nd pairing and on the PP.

1. The picks could literally be next to one another for all you know. Likely they will be within 5-7 spots from each other. If that's what's holding a trade you just do it. At minimum we gained a good relation with Pittsburgh for that.

2. For all you know Bonino will want north of 4m when his contract is done. Plus millions of dollars will come off the books next year and even more the year after. This will be oir last tight year for a while. We only take on roughly 650000.

3. The numbers are similar from what I've seen. Although I would bet you Bonino has seen more ice last year being on the 2nd plus he played a portion of his season with Vrbata. Who do you think Sutter played with last year?

4. Clendening hasn't done a damn thing to impress me in blue. This is where I disagree with benning. He did not impress with the Canucks. When he was sent to the comets he didn't impress in the playoffs series that I watches vs the griffins or the monarchs. Trading him also opens up a little cap space and a roster spot.

5. I can count higher than you.

Whether you like or hate the trade, there's no denying JB is committed to building a team with a particular culture, direction, and style. Clearly he is looking to create a team of speed, physicality, character and an emphasis on two way play, while filling some holes with guys who bring a more skilled aspect to the game (Sven, Vey, etc.)

I tend to remember all of CDC complaining during our competitive era a few years back that we lacked the toughness and grit to compete in a 7 game series, so I find it funny that CDC is now complaining that we have too much grit and not enough skill. I guess this board wouldn't get any traffic if everyone agreed with each other all the time, so I respect those who have issues with JB and the direction of this team. However I personally think that while we may have been on the wrong end of value with our trades, we are at least creating a roster with an identity.

I like what Benning is doing. But he's going to have to do a whole lot more than trading Bonino for Sutter to really amp up the toughness factor.

Our tough guys are middleweights, we have nearly no size and grit on the back end, and even with the addition of Sutter, the forward group is still one of the smallest in the NHL. What the Canucks still lack are highly skilled big guys who can beat you with their skill and beat you up.

It's too bad that Matthias was a 6'4" 225 lbs. cream puff and Kassian was a 6'3" 215 lbs. ballerina. Imagine if these two were mean and ornery players...put them on the same line as Sutter and we would have had a third line that could have competed with anyone in the NHL. What could have been.

The one thing I won't miss about Bonino will be his lazy line changes.

Although I would bet you Bonino has seen more ice last year being on the 2nd plus he played a portion of his season with Vrbata. Who do you think Sutter played with last year?

This is an important point for Nucks fans.

Bonino was given every opportunity to play with skilled players and was a staple on the 2nd PP unit all year. He could only muster 15 goals.

Whereas Sutter put up 21 goals on the 3rd/4th line playing with the likes of Spaling, Glass and Downie. He has an excellent shot.

We could see some nice PP units next year:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Sutter-Horvat-Burrows/Higgins/Virtanen

This is not true. The Canucks lower 2nd round pick (likely Anaheim's) probably has an expected value of about 25th in the round. The higher 3rd round pick from Pitt probably has an expected value of 7th or 8th in the 3rd round. So we are looking at overall 55 versus overall 67 or so -- maybe 12 spots lower. There is a decent chance that a player you want goes somewhere in those 12 spots. It is not a big deal, but it is something.

Also, if Benning is counting on Vey to have a strong year next year I am really nervous. He might, but it is a long shot.

I should have clarified, using the word "wash" was my own word to summarize, and not Bennings. But Benning said how the picks will likely be within a few spots of a each other and a lot of times a guy you are targeting in the second round, can be picked up in the early third round, I'm assuming like the Briesbois (sp?) situation, and they are essentially the same. But, if they are essentially the same, why trade it?

I think Benning says foundational because he covets guys with character, and who work hard. Sutter fits that mold.

Archived