The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter, Foundational player?

TheHockeyNerds

As we all know, Vancouver has acquired Brandon Sutter. Personally i really like the deal because i think Sutter is a significant upgrade on Bonino. Jim Benning has been on record saying that Brandon Sutter is a foundational player. I personally agree with him and here is why:

Brandon Sutter is only 26 years old, just entering his prime. He is young enough to still have good years ahead of him when the next generation of canuck players come to fruition and contend. Sutter is a foundational player IMO because all Stanley cup champions have that 2/3 shutdown player who can win key face-offs in the playoffs, shut down top players and score at some important moments during your cup run. Basically all Elite teams have great players up and down the line up and Brandon Sutter can be that player once other centres like Horvat, McCann and cassels become good NHL players.

What do you guys think? Thanks for reading everyone.

A-rights. Good post. Basically, it's a guy we are keeping - the end product of dealing. So far I think it may just be him and the Sedins, Horvat, Dorsett and Tanev, with high hopes for a lot of the prospects to be "core prospects", as Benning says. Maybe a few vets like Burrows and Edler can play their way into the plans, if they have a resurgance, which sounds almost too good to be possible. I also have wondered if Hansen isn't secretly on the no trade list. He plays pretty hard and Benning has emphasized speed, plus he's on the right side of 30. I won't be amazed if they re-sign Prust, depending on his play.

I think when we look back at the contract that Sutter is about to sign, it will be the tipping point for many in regards to opinions on Benning.

Foundational player can mean anything, but if he gets term on a contract that deals him 5mill+ then Benning is either a blubber head or going full tank mode. Sutter, who will most likely be our second line center for at least half of this year has done nothing to warrant 2nd line money or term. If he gets it, the jokes on us as fans of this team.

"Stanley cup champions have that 2/3 shutdown player who can win key face-offs in the playoffs"

Yes, but there is more to it than that.
Pittsburgh had Crosby and Malkin 1/2 and him as the 3rd yet they couldn't seem to get far. With decent wingers I don't see why he couldn't have a career year, I'm sure Willie put him in a good position to succeed. At this point, I'm just gonig to sit back and wait to actually see the results before i judge

"Stanley cup champions have that 2/3 shutdown player who can win key face-offs in the playoffs"

Yes, but there is more to it than that. Pittsburgh had Crosby and Malkin 1/2 and him as the 3rd yet they couldn't seem to get far. With decent wingers I don't see why he couldn't have a career year, I'm sure Willie put him in a good position to succeed. At this point, I'm just gonig to sit back and wait to actually see the results before i judge

Lets be real here, the pens haven't been true contenders since 2013. Sutter played with Bennet and Downie! One guy who has 10 career goals and another who should be a 4th liner. Yes, i agree with you that Willie will indeed give Sutter every chance to succeed

Both Bonino and Sutter are good players. Sutter will thrive here and Bonino will thrive in Pittsburgh. From a business standpoint, this is what you would call a win-win-win-win. The Canucks, the Pens, Sutter and Bonino all win.

As long as all the players are in good environments to develop to the best of their ability and their teams continue to succeed, then all will continue to be well in the NHL hockey world.

In layman's terms, we have a lot of real good players. Some can be called foundation players. If Sutter becomes one of those, and I think he will, then both he and the Canucks will be very happy.

Sutter is an absolute beast, he is big, physical and can skate decent. He is a good combo of grit and speed, and his game is built for the playoffs. Once again, lets not overrate regular season point totals. Remember in 2014 PLAYOFFS Sutter had 5 goals. We need a true shut down center, and Bonino was not it.

The only issue I have is trading clendening, I wish we would have gave them Sbisa. Seriously what will it take to get rid of Sbisa.

I also see us next year making a move for Lucic, giving us a good mix of power and toughness which we havent seen in vancouver since the Odjick days.

Won't take over or even control a game in terms of puck possession and zone control, in fact struggles in that department.

IMO most his production will come off of the forecheck and forcing turnovers into fast break opportunities. Has potential to capitalize on those too as he has decent skill and a wicked shot.

Should be one of the best PK guys in the league though.

I watched him play a few games against the rangers in the playoffs and I remember saying to myself, "holy crap can Sutter play".

I know everyone is hard on poor trader Jim and to an extent with some validity but you must admit, he is sticking to his blueprint.

We have a lot of heart and soul guys on this team, and we are drafting players with character.

A guy like Sven for example is kind of a tweener to be honest, a smallish skilled forward that could be ruined in the wrong environment. On this team he looks to be well insulated. That could be the difference maker for a successful long term career.

I can't remember the last time we had this much direction. Gillis kinda started a puck possession blueprint only to be led astray after the SCF.

We are starting to see what the Canuck brand will look like, and I'm excited.

As we all know, Vancouver has acquired Brandon Sutter. Personally i really like the deal because i think Sutter is a significant upgrade on Bonino. Jim Benning has been on record saying that Brandon Sutter is a foundational player. I personally agree with him and here is why:

Brandon Sutter is only 26 years old, just entering his prime. He is young enough to still have good years ahead of him when the next generation of canuck players come to fruition and contend. Sutter is a foundational player IMO because all Stanley cup champions have that 2/3 shutdown player who can win key face-offs in the playoffs, shut down top players and score at some important moments during your cup run. Basically all Elite teams have great players up and down the line up and Brandon Sutter can be that player once other centres like Horvat, McCann and cassels become good NHL players.

What do you guys think? Thanks for reading everyone.

I agree with your read on Sutter. Having just turned 26 he should be just entering his prime, which should last for 5 years or. But players do not usually improve a lot between 24 and 26 so the last two years should give a pretty good sense of what Sutter would if he was used the same way in Vancouver as he was in Pittsburgh.

But he should actually get better opportunities in Vancouver as he will probably play 2C, at least to start (i.e. until Horvat takes over the 2C role). So his production should go up a bit. I would expect him to be able reach the 20 goal mark fairly consistently over the next few years. He is not really a play-making center so I am not sure how well he will fit with Vrbata. But I could see Baertschi and Sutter being a good fit.

He is good on the PK. Bonino was also good on the PK, but Sutter might be better. And he can play shutdown. Bonino could also do a decent job at shutdown but Sutter is probably a bit better. Bonino was better in the shoot-out though.

The issue is price. By next year (2016-17) Sutter will drop down to 3C as Horvat moves to 2C. It is okay to pay a really good 3C in the 3 to 4 million range -- not great, but okay. But I am really afraid Benning will overpay. If he ends up extending Sutter at something like 4.5 million it will hurt the team in the long run.

I'm excited for a center that has tutored under two of the best centers of this generation. He was never going to get a top two center role in Pittsburgh, he's going to get his chance here. I think his ceiling is far higher than Bonino's and will likely be that guy who will help the team transition between the Sedins retiring and one of McCann/Horvat/Cassels becoming the new guy in Vancouver.

Let's be honest, the Sedins are going to be the ones that carry us during the season, but once playoffs roll around its up to people like Dorset, Sutter, Prust and even to a certain extent to Horvat to carry the team and relief some pressure off the Sedins

You bet he's a foundational player, he's another Kesler without the baggage and with the potential to be better than Kesler. Great trade by Benning.

You mean the Kesler who scored 41 goals while winning the Selke trophy? The Kesler who single handedly destroyed Nashville in the playoffs?

I appreciate your enthusiasm but let's keep it in the realm of reality.

Sutter is an absolute beast, he is big, physical and can skate decent. He is a good combo of grit and speed, and his game is built for the playoffs. Once again, lets not overrate regular season point totals. Remember in 2014 PLAYOFFS Sutter had 5 goals. We need a true shut down center, and Bonino was not it.

The only issue I have is trading clendening, I wish we would have gave them Sbisa. Seriously what will it take to get rid of Sbisa.

I also see us next year making a move for Lucic, giving us a good mix of power and toughness which we havent seen in vancouver since the Odjick days.

I think there is a misconception about Sutter,...I dont think he's a beast at all,and not a really physical player,but he is a great skater with a sick wrist shot,good PK'er and a shutdown centre as stated..Folks expecting him to be laying guys out because he's 6'3 will be disappointed.....Pittsburgh fans also have no idea what an awful,slow skater Bonino is.

Sutter is a player that Benning has obviously coveted and obviously wants him long term..IMO...I was surprised that Benning traded Bonino so soon after being acquired,but he is another one of the players who does not fit Bennings criteria for this team long term.

What worries me is that he'll be UFA and might not re-sign with the Canucks, granted he's a better overall player than Bonino is, he might be just another trade that came to town for a single season. Who knows, time will tell.

PS- Pens will get used to Bonino, they had Jordan Staal before (hands of stones and ball'n'chain skates).

I think there is a misconception about Sutter,...I dont think he's a beast at all,and not a really physical player,but he is a great skater with a sick wrist shot,good PK'er and a shutdown centre as stated..Folks expecting him to be laying guys out because he's 6'3 will be disappointed.....Pittsburgh fans also have no idea what an awful,slow skater Bonino is.

Sutter is a player that Benning has obviously coveted and obviously wants him long term..IMO...I was surprised that Benning traded Bonino so soon after being acquired,but he is another one of the players who does not fit Bennings criteria for this team long term.

You never know whether Benning had to settle for Bonino or not. Totally agree with your point about Bonino's foot speed. That really showed up at the World's last spring. He does think the game well and as a 3C in Pitt might do well.

Yup. Sutter is so foundational and critical to playoffs success that Penguins are letting him go; even though they are going all-in for the cup this season.

I am also not sure why people think Sutter has a world of potential and Bonino has none? They are basically the same age.

Seriously I always found Sutter to have a similar career path to Kesler. Their early career number were fairly similar. The difference is Kesler finally got a top 6 role when Sundin came in and broke out offensively. Around the same time Sutter got traded to Pittsburgh and was buried behind Crosby and Malkin and a team with no offensive depth, therefore playing with marginal players on the third.

He'll probably never reach 41 goals but I wouldn't be surprise at all if he could have a similar impact as Kesler on this team.

Archived