The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata or Burrows with Sutter?

IBatch

First off welcome to Van Sutter! Your two-way, PK and face-off acumen is welcome. Now to business, do you think he should play with Burrows or Vrbata on the second line?

Personally I think Burrows would be the best fit given his ability to scrape pucks along he boards and get to the dirty areas in front of the net. Horvat on this line moved to the wing would also make things very interesting (given our glut of 3rd line forwards this shouldn't be to hard to manage ie Vey). Which would leave Higgins,Jansen, Baerstchi and Virtanen in play to create a pretty second and third line.

Vrbata proved that he can play very well with the twins last year, and more time on this line should only make things better for them. Our second line should give other teams first line endless headaches and find the net enough to provide the secondary scoring the team needs so badly, especially if we load up on the nasty and two prowess.

Sutter's stats should improve or go back to CAR days numbers with more ice time, and this team all of sudden doesn't look as bad on paper.

Horvat on the third line with Virtanen doesn't look so bad either - with Baerstchi and Vey somewhere in the mix too.

Thoughts?

Well burrows played well with Kesler and sutter is a very poor man's kesler. He can score but his passing is worse than Bonino and closer to kesler.

Bonino was feeding vrby in many opportune times last year so I doubt vrby would enjoy playing with sutter.

I'd put Burr.

In an ideal world I'd keep Bonino but his meat and potatoes didn't suit Jim bunengz farm boy style

Well burrows played well with Kesler and sutter is a very poor man's kesler. He can score but his passing is worse than Bonino and closer to kesler.

Bonino was feeding vrby in many opportune times last year so I doubt vrby would enjoy playing with sutter.

I'd put Burr.

In an ideal world I'd keep Bonino but his meat and potatoes didn't suit Jim bunengz farm boy style

Not elite enough for you, eh?

I'd put Burr.

Apollo what happened? You're suddenly super negative now?

Apollo what happened? You're suddenly super negative now?

I'm no false optimist. I believe this team and I know they can win. I don't believe in the past 4 idiotic benning trades though. Juice, Eddie, kassian and now the bone show is gone...

Not elite enough for you, eh?

Not until he proves himself. Haven't heard much positive from pens fans either

Not sure why even the more experienced users here think Bärtschi is a 2nd line lock. At most he's a 2/3 split. Probably 2/3/4. Really, all the lines will be mixed up this season. There are no locked lines or even pairings except that there's a good chance the Sedins will remain together.

Neither. 3rd line of Higgins - Sutter - Hansen. Nobody scores while they're on the ice all season. Not them. Not the opposition.

Could very well prove correct with the "neither" response. We'll have to see how things shake out during training camp and the preseason. And the lines will probably change through throughout the season as well.

But I could easily imagine a lineup where neither Burrows nor Vrbata plans alongside Sutter. They could just as easily land on Henrik and Horvat's wings.

But if I was to guess, I'd say that Burrows starts the season back with the twins.

And then Vrbata ends up playing with either Sutter or Horvat at even strength 5v5 (and with the twins on the #1 PP).

Unless Virtanen makes the team. Then it's even more difficult to predict where everyone slots in.

But I'm excited for camp to start and to see where the coaches feel everyone fits. I imagine they'll try a few different combinations and see if any chemistry develops along the way.

I doubt we see Burrows with the Sedins. Last year they only took Vrbata off that line to help with secondary scoring.

This season, with the emergence of Sutter/Horvat/Baertschi we won't have to do that.

1: Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

2a: Baertschi-Sutter-Burrows

2b: Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

4: Prust-Vey-Dorsett

PP1: Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

PP2: Sutter-Horvat-Burrows/Baertschi

If Sutter can be a 50 point guy for us, I think our lineup actually looks pretty good. Only thing that disgusts me is Vey as 4th line C. Would much rather see Gaunce or Cassels in that spot.

Archived