The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Prospect Swap - Centre for Defence

At this point, I think it'd be smart of GMJB to move one of our better centre prospects for a good prospect D. Down the middle, we now have:

Henrik

Horvat

Sutter

Vey

Cassels

McCann

Gaunce

There's some redundancy starting in the depth chart.

I propose one of the following:

To VAN:

Haydn Fleury

To Carolina:

Cole Cassels

Cassels for Haydn Fleury kinda deal would benefit both clubs as it gives Carolina a nice centre prospect in their pool (they don't have one as good as Cassels), and with Hanifin in their D pool, they can now afford to unload Fleury.

OR...

To VAN:

Madison Bowey

To Washington:

Jared McCann

Similar thought process as above. I think the Carolina deal makes more sense tho as Washington doesn't have another blue-chip D prospect to replace Bowey.

At this point, I think it'd be smart of GMJB to move one of our better centre prospects for a good prospect D. Down the middle, we now have:

Henrik

Horvat

Sutter

Vey

Cassels

McCann

Gaunce

To VAN:

Haydn Fleury

To Carolina:

Cole Cassels

Cassels for Haydn Fleury kinda deal would benefit both clubs as it gives Carolina a nice centre prospect in their pool (they don't have one as good as Cassels), and with Hanifin in their D pool, they can now afford to unload Fleury.

OR...

To VAN:

Madison Bowey

To Washington:

Jared McCann

Similar thought process as above. I think the Carolina deal makes more sense tho as Washington doesn't have another blue-chip D prospect to replace Bowey.

Henrik will eventually retire. Maybe even before McCann makes the show. Gaunce has played wing for 2 straight seasons now. Vey isn't that good defensively or on faceoffs so I can see him being moved to wing as well.

Our center depth may actually look like this (in no order)

Horvat

Sutter

Cassels

McCann

You need to get out of your headay that a center in JR will 100% br a center in the nhl. More often than not the center is converted to wing. So no I don't think its wise to depleat our center depth for a defensive prospect. Why not jus draft one for free?

Henrik will eventually retire. Maybe even before McCann makes the show. Gaunce has played wing for 2 straight seasons now. Vey isn't that good defensively or on faceoffs so I can see him being moved to wing as well.

Horvat

Sutter

Cassels

McCann

You need to get out of your headay that a center in JR will 100% br a center in the nhl. More often than not the center is converted to wing. So no I don't think its wise to depleat our center depth for a defensive prospect. Why not jus draft one for free?

McCann as a 4th line centre? Maybe to start, but in the longer term, he'd be a waste there.

Cassels as 3rd line centre works, but so does Sutter or Horvat.

"More often than not the center is converted to wing" is a bit of an exaggeration. I'd argue that more often than not, centers stay as centers. Wingers stay as wingers.

Anyways, just food for thought. You generally trade from a position of strength. We're definitely top heavy with centres for the next few years while Henrik is still around.

McCann as a 4th line centre? Maybe to start, but in the longer term, he'd be a waste there.

Cassels as 3rd line centre works, but so does Sutter or Horvat.

"More often than not the center is converted to wing" is a bit of an exaggeration. I'd argue that more often than not, centers stay as centers. Wingers stay as wingers.

Anyways, just food for thought. You generally trade from a position of strength. We're definitely top heavy with centres for the next few years while Henrik is still around.

can you not read?

IN NO ORDER

can you not read?

IN NO ORDER

Lol, the anger is strong in this one. Anyways....

So in 3 to 4 years, we'd still have:

Horvat

Sutter

McCann

Cassels

(and whoever else we've added to the system in a 3 to 4 year timeframe)

What's the problem with moving one of McCann and Cassels for a potential top 2 defenceman? I'd take a potential Top 2 defenceman that plays 20-25min a game over a potential Top 3 centre that plays 4th line minutes.

Lol, the anger is strong in this one. Anyways....

So in 3 to 4 years, we'd still have:

Horvat

Sutter

McCann

Cassels

(and whoever else we've added to the system in a 3 to 4 year timeframe)

What's the problem with moving one of McCann and Cassels for a potential top 2 defenceman? I'd take a potential Top 2 defenceman that plays 20-25min a game over a potential Top 3 centre that plays 4th line minutes.

because when you are the one calling about a player you tend to have to pay more.

aaaaaand teams are alot smarter now than before. Not many teams are keen on trading players under 21 because no one knows what they will become.

And yes i get worked up after i took the time to read your post, reply, took the time to explain that the list was in no order and you completely disregarded it.

because when you are the one calling about a player you tend to have to pay more.

aaaaaand teams are alot smarter now than before. Not many teams are keen on trading players under 21 because no one knows what they will become.

And yes i get worked up after i took the time to read your post, reply, took the time to explain that the list was in no order and you completely disregarded it.

We can agree to disagree.

Honestly, if this kinda stuff gets you worked up, you need to take a breather in life and realize there's nothing to be worked up about here.

I have posted before a couple of times, and it is especially valid now that Clenndening is gone.

We need to trade for a defensive prospect (or even two) that can play in Utica and not have to clear waivers for injury call up. Biega and Pedan just won't cut it, especially when we use between 11-13 defencemen every season. I have no idea who #13 on our depth chart would be right now that is eligible to be called up, but they certainly have no business playing in the NHL.

I had suggested that Jensen or Shinkaruk could be on their way out to make this happen, but Cassels is certainly a solid possibility as well.

If Cassels gets moved, who's going to shutdown McDavid??? Ok, Horvat, Sutter maybe but Cassels already proved he can play against McDavid and be successful

Hey.

Cassels even said it himself. It wasn't all him that shut down McDavid. As a team they shut him down. He even said it himself during an interview. I find it pretty amusing when someone says "throw in Cassels to shutdown McDavid".

If were going to stop McDavid, our whole team better do it for that matter.

Fleury hasn't impressed, but if someone thinks that Cassels for Fleury is going to work out, get ready for verbal assault from the Carolina fans.
I have a feeling they'd want something like Horvat or Sutter or McCann for Fleury.

But in general, this idea should be heavily exploited. we need a good defense, we have good center depth... Isnt that why we draft BPA?

Henrik

Horvat

Sutter

Vey

Cassels

McCann

Gaunce

To VAN:

Haydn Fleury

To Carolina:

Cole Cassels

OR...

To VAN:

Madison Bowey

To Washington:

Jared McCann

Cant really agree with this.

Henrik is not going to be here for ever so you have to look at it like

Horvat

Sutter

Vey

McCann

Cassels

Gaunce

Still alot of depth for a fairly young group. With McCanns speed, skill and shot, I see him becoming a 2nd line winger in our system. Cassels could turn out to be one of the best defensive shut down Centers in the future, after what he did in the OHL playoffs and Mem Cup he is not a guy you give up now. Gaunce is likley to be a 4th line center at best, and personally I am not a fan of Vey.

I agree we need a top defensive prospect but i dont think we are going to be able to trade for one, Unless a package of Vey and Sbisa gets Fleury from Carolina, I am all for that. Or if we deal Hamhuis or Vrbata to Dallas at the deadline and somehow pry Honka out of them. We need to find one through the draft, its our best shot, If the tank is real Chychrun could be our future

Horvat

Sutter

Cassels

McCann

Goose, I have to disagree with you a tad.

To me, if we could move a center prospect for a defensive prospect, we would have much more flexibility at the draft table, being that we could draft the BPA without any concern for having to pick a defensive prospect in any given year.

I do agree, that it would cost more to get that premium defensive prospect, but as someone else has posted, we need more than one top defensive prospect, so it wouldn't hurt to move the pieces around a little.

One thing though, we seem to think we have all the best prospects, when in fact we are ranked around the middle of the pack, and we do not have any blue chip prospects in any position, outside maybe Demko.

If we are to go after a blue chip defenseman, I would suggest it would be something along the lines of

McCann and Jensen for ?????

or

Cassells and Vey for ?????

maybe even

McCann and Vey for ??????

At the risk of repeating myself

It would give us flexibility at the draft table...........aka picking the BPA which could be a center, in any of the next 3 years

Archived