The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Prospect Swap - Centre for Defence

I've been saying for this a while, and it's the only way the Canucks are going to get any good defensive prospects because they sure aren't drafting them very well.

Carolina is stacked with young defencemen and now that Hanifin's in the mix, Fleury is expendable. Sure, they could keep him and build something special around Hanifin, Faulk and Fleury, but if we offered McCann then they'd have a replacement for Staal which is something that team needs.

Goose, I have to disagree with you a tad.

To me, if we could move a center prospect for a defensive prospect, we would have much more flexibility at the draft table, being that we could draft the BPA without any concern for having to pick a defensive prospect in any given year.

I do agree, that it would cost more to get that premium defensive prospect, but as someone else has posted, we need more than one top defensive prospect, so it wouldn't hurt to move the pieces around a little.

One thing though, we seem to think we have all the best prospects, when in fact we are ranked around the middle of the pack, and we do not have any blue chip prospects in any position, outside maybe Demko.

If we are to go after a blue chip defenseman, I would suggest it would be something along the lines of

McCann and Jensen for ?????

or

Cassells and Vey for ?????

maybe even

McCann and Vey for ??????

At the risk of repeating myself

It would give us flexibility at the draft table...........aka picking the BPA which could be a center, in any of the next 3 years

i guess it all comes down to how many of our d prospects will make the show and if we draft a defenseman this year. I pray that we draft jakob chychrun this draft.

At this point, I think it'd be smart of GMJB to move one of our better centre prospects for a good prospect D. Down the middle, we now have:

Henrik

Horvat

Sutter

Vey

Cassels

McCann

Gaunce

There's some redundancy starting in the depth chart.

I propose one of the following:

To VAN:

Haydn Fleury

To Carolina:

Cole Cassels

Cassels for Haydn Fleury kinda deal would benefit both clubs as it gives Carolina a nice centre prospect in their pool (they don't have one as good as Cassels), and with Hanifin in their D pool, they can now afford to unload Fleury.

OR...

To VAN:

Madison Bowey

To Washington:

Jared McCann

Similar thought process as above. I think the Carolina deal makes more sense tho as Washington doesn't have another blue-chip D prospect to replace Bowey.

Try:

TOR

Horvat

VAN

Reilly

How about:

VAN

Jeremy Roy

SJS

Jensen

you have to be joking. Jensen has zero value.

I don't remember reading the Professor's posts in the past and could be wrong but I'd assumed, since the suggestion seemed so clearly out of line based on current values, that he was using the suggestion to say the original poster was overvaluing Canucks' prospects.

Hey.

Cassels even said it himself. It wasn't all him that shut down McDavid. As a team they shut him down. He even said it himself during an interview. I find it pretty amusing when someone says "throw in Cassels to shutdown McDavid".

If were going to stop McDavid, our whole team better do it for that matter.

I find it amusing that I hope you saying someone suggesting "throwing in Cassels to shutdown McDavid" isn't referring to me because I did not say that. Haha yes I do understand it is the whole team but Cassels was matched up against him all series and so therefore he has the experience on what he needs to do against him and so he can translate that to the team aka the Canucks. I don't think there has ever been a team that has successfully played and shutdown McDavid besides this years Oshawa Generals and it doesn't hurt to have someone who was part of that group and played a big role. So to sum it up, Cassels can be the one who leads the charge against McDavid and tell his teammates what works against him.

Don't look now but I think that CDC is agreeing on something. The Canucks need D prospects.

Trading prospects for need is one possibility among several. Conventional wisdom says that you draft the BPA outside of the top 10 (give or take) because you have a better chance of landing an actual player and not striking out in the first round. So, at a certain point, say age 20 you have a much better idea of the likelihood of success than at 17 so why not make an exchange for need at that point (1 for 1, 1 for 2 etc).

I still think that certain veterans could be sold as rentals and prospects taken in return either directly or indirectly will yield more bang for the buck.

Also trading up for players who may no longer be eligible for waivers like in the case of Baretschi, Clendening and Vey can also yield some bargains.

Never really have too much Centre depth... also Carolina essentially only drafts centres lol...

8/14 of there forwards signed at the moment are forwards.

Anywho, Centre's can usually be transitioned over to the wing, and for some they may be better suited to do so.

Cassels for Fleury... Lol.

People here overvalue Cassels waaaaay too much apperantly.

Couldn't agree more. Vancouver fans (I'm one myself) on CDC could really do with leaving Vancouver for a few years and get outside the bubble. Cassels is a good prospect, compared to other Canuck prospects. But compared to other teams' prospects, he's far from equal to a 7th overall pick from 2014.

Long story short, if the Canucks want to get good defensemen, perhaps they should look at drafting one before the 3rd round for a change. Sauve was the last defenseman drafted prior to the 3rd round.

I don't remember reading the Professor's posts in the past and could be wrong but I'd assumed, since the suggestion seemed so clearly out of line based on current values, that he was using the suggestion to say the original poster was overvaluing Canucks' prospects.

Don't they need defensive prospects? And Jensen is worth less than Baertschi was when we acquired him.

Jensen is absolutely worth far less then Jeremy Roy kinda why i posted it when i did (maybe i just Really like what i see in J. Roy).

SJS does need defensive prospects of Roy's caliber but no where near as bad as they need quality Wingers

That being said Jensen doesn't get it done he just doesn't have the value.

I was far more serious with my later Proposal for Severson it is a little closer to the money, but then again you have to find a team who has a high enough need for a piece you have to get them to let go of a piece you want.

What do you guys think about:

VAN

Damon Severson

NJD

Linden Vey

RW is by far their weakest spot and vey does have some talent.

LMFAO.

Severson burst on to the scene and was playing top pairing for the Devils until he got hurt last year. Playing, and playing well. He projects as an occasional all star who will have a long career.

Vey is trending a little behind a career in the scope of, say, Kyle Wellwood. Very good skills. Which teases a few people. But lacking some physical fundamentals such as size & speed which render his skills less applicable.

Archived