The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brandon Sutter deal almost done

I think 3.7 is a reasonable price, for a guy who is an ELITE 3rd line center, with little offensive upside.

Players you can compare Sutter to, who are making less than 4M:

Berglund - 3.7M

Wingles - 2.7M

Eller - 3.5M

Boyle - 2M

Coyle - 3.2M

Sutter is easily a tier above those players.

Man most people on here are such babies. Not even partially constructed the team so far and want to can him already. Sutter for one hasn't been given a chance to succeed in a second line role. Barely any offensive zone starts and his line mates we can admit were a little on the irrelevant spectrum. When he did have good line mates they got hurt. Give him Vrbata, Baertschi and i think he can contribute a reliable 50 points. We had a 100+ point season and we were SUPPOSED to lick. Give your head a shake peeps. Take a breath, hit your pressure points Woo-Sah.

the difference between matthias and sutter?

one of them has never scored fewer than 10 goals in a season, eclipsed 20 twice and had 17 another time, while the other has highs of 18, 14, and 10 and the rest single digits.

one is a respected third line shutdown center, strong in face offs, and matches up against top lines, while the other is a natural center that can't win a draw but doesn't like playing wing, is ok defensively but not great, and has struggled to make it off the 4th line on bad teams.

one plays his best when the stakes are highest, while the other disappears when the games start to matter.

+1

Mathias and Sutter are nothing alike.I'm happy Benning let him walk and created the roster spot.

Sutter was great trade. The picks were nothing and Clendenning won't amount to much. He's an offensive dman that can't skate. Bonino and Sutter aren't even close.

Benning haters need to shut it and stop overvaluing Canuck players. No trade would happen if you had to fleece the other team every time. Benning has made more trades in a year than Gillis did in 5 years.

Would have preferred the Canucks take some time and evaluate how Sutter fits within their system rather than trying to sign him off the bat.

Although I feel that the Canucks shouldn't have given up Clendening in the trade, I still feel that the trade benefits the team. Is Sutter a better player than Bonino? I don't know, they are quite different players. Can Sutter help the Canucks more than Bonino can? Yes, in my opinion.

4.4 million dollars for a 30-40 points player? You gotta be kidding here..please tell me that is a joke. Sigh, i guess when our GM sign players like Dorsett for more than 2 million and Sbisa for more than 3 million dollars per year, nothing should come as a surprise anymore.

#FireBenningNow That's all I have to say about that...

People actually being serious about firing Benning are ridiculous

Hate to say it, but whats the difference between Matthias and Sutter? Both are young. Both are big. Both don't really use their physicality. Sutter came to life one playoffs playing with good players when they got their lines switched up, Matthias never did. Both have had the occasional 20ish goal outbursts.

Matthias is now making 2M a year which is considered an outrageous raise. Sutter is about to earn a reported 4.4M for 5 years.

I don't think Sutter is worth 4.4M long term when he's barely a 20 goal, 30-40 point scorer who can kill penalties and not play with much physicality, but that's just me. To be fair, the cap roof has risen these last few years so proportional to the cap roof, 4.4M isn't too much, and won't be much more in 5 years time, but I really don't see Sutter improving any more. He's a 20 goal, 40 point scorer AT THE VERY BEST, and at worst, he's a 5-10 goal, 20 point scoring forward who belongs on the 4th line.

I just hope we don't sign him too long term and he ends up on our 4th line while Horvat, Cassels, McCann and Gaunce steal his ice-time.

Yes! This exactly why give up on matthias who makes reasonible money then give the same player 2.25 times more?? Is any one think benning has lost his mind?

Yes! This exactly why give up on matthias who makes reasonible money then give the same player 2.25 times more?? Is any one think benning has lost his mind?

Both of you are SEVERELY delusional if you believe Matthias and Sutter are in any way the same player.

Next season, Matthias will top out at 25-30 points, going large stretches with nothing tangible to provide and may even see time on the 4th line.

Sutter meanwhile given an offensive opportunity on the 2nd line will net anywhere from 40-50 points while providing consistent and elite defensive play, as well as elite PK ability.

I would not be surprised to see Sutter hit 20g and 30a playing along side Baertschi and Vrbata. He may even eclipse 50 points if given significant PP time. He is about as close as you can get to a complete hockey player. Oh he's also only 26 and just entering his prime.

the guy has been an elite 3rd line center for 6 seasons and is only 26. I have no problem locking him up until 32 years of age.

Surely the main thing is, if we are paying on the high side we should not need to go down the hardous road of NTC's. It is that and not the level of remuneration that has handcuffed us in the past and with JB being a wheeler dealer type of guy an NTC would be a real hinderance down the line.

Surely the main thing is, if we are paying on the high side we should not need to go down the hardous road of NTC's. It is that and not the level of remuneration that has handcuffed us in the past and with JB being a wheeler dealer type of guy an NTC would be a real hinderance down the line.

I wouldn't be too butt hurt if he got a limited one and it brought his cap hit down. Kinda player that would be easily tradable at a deadline.

Sutter is easily a tier above those players.

JB reportedly tried to get Berglund for Garrison. Took them a year, but ultimately JB and TL got the guy they really wanted.

Although I feel that the Canucks shouldn't have given up Clendening in the trade, I still feel that the trade benefits the team.

Something else had to be given up. Clendening is in with Corrado as the 7/8, and we have more prospects with at least as much upside on the way shortly. He'l likely top out as a bottom-pairing D-man, maybe second if he can fix his weaknesses. The benefit is that we free up another roster spot in the process.

I wouldn't be too butt hurt if he got a limited one and it brought his cap hit down. Kinda player that would be easily tradable at a deadline.

Not really concerned with an NTC either. Brandon's going to be a fixture for this team for at least a few years and maybe even beyond this contract, and if down the road he needs to be moved he'll still be a commodity with value.

People complain that we have a team full of guys who disappear in the playoffs, and then Benning gets rid of those guys and replaces them with guys who are likely going to be elevating their game at that time of year... and folks still complain about it.

People complain that we have a team full of guys who disappear in the playoffs, and then Benning gets rid of those guys and replaces them with guys who are likely going to be elevating their game at that time of year... and folks still complain about it.

+1 for calling it the way it is.

Archived