The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What did Benning accomplish last year? (Discussion)

Now, I am not a Benning hater, because he really hasn't had enough time to prove himself one way or another, but I fail to see what Benning really accomplished last year, other than 2 things

#1. We made the playoffs

#2. He forced Willie D to play Horvat

Other than that, all his maneuvering of picks and players, has yielded nothing of proven quality. Ask yourself, would we have been better off in the long run, playing it out last year with a lesser team, moving our UFA's at the deadline, and picking in a much better position at the draft or making the playoffs and getting the royal boot, by the Flames.

To me it suited no purpose at all to run at the final 10 games like it was the most important thing we could do, and it ultimately will cost us one year on our rebuild.

Those Canuck faithful on CDC that blissfully cheered as we screwed up our position, will routinely ignore questions like..why was our 5 on 5 play so dismal, or how do you see us obtaining blue-chip prospects, or explaining what the difference will be to our prospects in 3 years from now, when we are loosing?

If Benning wanted to get a decent 3 line center, he could have waited a year and bought a UFA, or traded Bonino for a pick and then signed a UFA

All along, no one can tell me where these blue-chip prospect are going to come from. And all I have heard is that when the Sedin's leave in 3 years that is when the real rebuild starts.

To me, it is not about his picks, or his trades, it is about if you are OK with being average?

Until you can answer where our blue-chippers are coming from or if you are ok with average, then I don't think you can complain about those of us who question his choices.

Until you can answer where our blue-chippers are coming from or if you are ok with average, then I don't think you can complain about those of us who question his choices.

We will rightfully stand up to people who think that losing is a path to success. Nothing in life worth having is earned by losing and praying that your fortunes will improve. Do you earn a promotion at work by giving up in the face of adversity? Do you put your head down and earn that promotion or do you ease off and hope you win the lottery?

What quality UFA would ultimately come to an organization that decides to cut its teams chances in the knees to succeed at a critical time in the season for a handful of picks?

No one, unless you massively overpay.

You don't play a season for a draft position. Why even play? Why even watch?

I guess we could always trade away all of our players, sign a bunch of journeymen to inflated one year contracts and purposely go over the cap so you default every game. Finish dead last to have the best odds at getting first pick and have the added bonus of inflating contacts around the league so everyone else is cap crunched. Go out and offer sheet to your hearts content and yer done. We'll call it Buffalo on steroids.

Rebuilding a team is not as simple as signing UFAs then continually flip them for picks. Most UFAs want a little bit of security, so if we're going to bring someone in of any quality it's going to involve a NTC. That means if he decides to waive, it'll be to a team of his choice. Which inturn means you'll be horrified by the lesser return.

Benning is slowly acquiring assets he wants on the team moving forward and picking them in the draft as well. We don't need 15 picks a year, you'll be horrified by all the ones we let go because there is only room for some of them in the AHL.

He's been here ONE YEAR! Do you seriously expect him to fix the mess left here overnight?

I liken him to Holmes on Homes. He's been brought in to help the owners fix the shoddy workmanship of the previous contractor and right now he's ripping out the existing gyproc.

Why don't we wait until he's finished the job to reserve judgement instead of judging the half finished reno.

Benning should be a lawyer after his hockey tenure. For real, the way he trades away young players and justified it after is very believable. Here is the deal, Benning can't run away from next years season, which sadly will be a shocker for many Canucks' fans because believe me when I tell you this Prust, Bartwoksi and Sutter are no improvement over what we had before.

These type of players are good to have in the playoffs eg role players, but regular season is all determined on skill and points, so that's were I feel a-lot of ppl will be shocked. For instance, in regular season you slash someone your getting the two minute call but in playoffs they let it go. These players we got only add penalty minutes to the team,I'm cool with rebuilding but when making trades stop giving away 2nd rounders, it's getting very annoying.

Benning should be a lawyer after his hockey tenure. For real, the way he trades away young players and justified it after is very believable. Here is the deal, Benning can't run away from next years season, which sadly will be a shocker for many Canucks' fans because believe me when I tell you this Prust, Bartwoksi and Sutter are no improvement over what we had before.

These type of players are good to have in the playoffs eg role players, but regular season is all determined on skill and points, so that's were I feel a-lot of ppl will be shocked.

I'm sure you and apollo's dreams came true when you attended the Canucks' the President's Trophy parades downtown in 2011 and 2012 eh?

I'm sick and tired of regular season success. It means nothing if you don't win in the playoffs. I mean seriously, do you not want to see this team eventually go deep in the playoffs. Have you not watched how teams have won the Cup have won or who the MVP's for Cup winning teams generally are?

Yes you need skill to win, but Duncan Keith aside, it's those role and character players that win you the Cup.

Guy did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Made the playoffs. check

traded kesler and clear cap. cap

bring in younger players. check

fire torts and bring in his guy. check

ladies and gentlemen benning recognize that making the playoffs we have enough skill guys but a couple players that are not giving enough to the team. Which causes us a whole to be easier to play against. I totally see where he is coming far and value he is getting in this trade isn't outstanding but they have potential and make sense with his plan. Not one game has been played and yet we are thinking this team will tank. Let me tell you guys that vancouver canucks that I grew up watching and loving will be one of toughest teams to play against this year. We might not be stanley cup champions, we might not go deep in the playoffs but with our work ethic teams will no longer push us over like we have seen countless times over the pass few years. All you fans who think you know better, could of gotten a better deal, ect... Jim Benning played for us. If he wins a cup in his time here he will be remember for the history of his time. He is thinking outside the box with his plan and he is executing it very well in my eyes. Drafting has been wonderful in my eyes as of now but will need a couple more years to see who busts and who becomes a star.

As fans lets get behind our team, players and management group. Let be known as the best fans in canada that cheer no matter what. Jets have great fans but Vancouver could be better if we put our egos down and come together to form a fan base renown across the world of hockey!

P.S.

I am not bias and do think that is not prefect aka sbisa contact but as a whole he is a lot better then what we used to have and what other teams have to deal with.

This didn't cost us a year in our rebuild anyway. This team is gradually getting younger. Sorry it's not young enough and fast enough. You just don't trade away the core for a bunch of 2016 picks and say "with these picks a now have 3 of my future top six and my top 2 D" Benning is getting pieces he wants, now and for the future (with the possible exception of Prust). If the young guys can't carry the mail when the 2011 guard retire/leave then you will see a dip for sure (yeah, with injuries it could be sooner). But with the youth and depth we have now it will be a much quicker turn around once the 2011 guard leave.

These type of players are good to have in the playoffs eg role players, but regular season is all determined on skill and points, so that's were I feel a-lot of ppl will be shocked. For instance, in regular season you slash someone your getting the two minute call but in playoffs they let it go. These players we got only add penalty minutes to the team,I'm cool with rebuilding but when making trades stop giving away 2nd rounders, it's getting very annoying.

Zuh? More PIMs? You may want to double check your stats. Sutter had slightly fewer than Bonino. Bartowski had fewer than Bieksa. If Kassian had have played a whole season he probably would've ended up with more than Prust. I don't see the newer players being responsible for a dramatic increase in PIMs when compared to the outgoing players.

Now, I am not a Benning hater, because he really hasn't had enough time to prove himself one way or another, but I fail to see what Benning really accomplished last year, other than 2 things

#1. We made the playoffs

#2. He forced Willie D to play Horvat

Other than that, all his maneuvering of picks and players, has yielded nothing of proven quality. Ask yourself, would we have been better off in the long run, playing it out last year with a lesser team, moving our UFA's at the deadline, and picking in a much better position at the draft or making the playoffs and getting the royal boot, by the Flames.

To me it suited no purpose at all to run at the final 10 games like it was the most important thing we could do, and it ultimately will cost us one year on our rebuild.

Those Canuck faithful on CDC that blissfully cheered as we screwed up our position, will routinely ignore questions like..why was our 5 on 5 play so dismal, or how do you see us obtaining blue-chip prospects, or explaining what the difference will be to our prospects in 3 years from now, when we are loosing?

If Benning wanted to get a decent 3 line center, he could have waited a year and bought a UFA, or traded Bonino for a pick and then signed a UFA

All along, no one can tell me where these blue-chip prospect are going to come from. And all I have heard is that when the Sedin's leave in 3 years that is when the real rebuild starts.

To me, it is not about his picks, or his trades, it is about if you are OK with being average?

Oh look hun! Another doom and gloom thread about the end of the World and how God could have made better choices.

You know what tanks?

This thread.

This didn't cost us a year in our rebuild anyway. This team is gradually getting younger. Sorry it's not young enough and fast enough. You just don't trade away the core for a bunch of 2016 picks and say "with these picks a now have 3 of my future top six and my top 2 D" Benning is getting pieces he wants, now and for the future (with the possible exception of Prust). If the young guys can't carry the mail when the 2011 guard retire/leave then you will see a dip for sure (yeah, with injuries it could be sooner). But with the youth and depth we have now it will be a much quicker turn around once the 2011 guard leave.

...almost seamless in fact...

Wilbur

No one will answer the question.........where are the blue chips coming from?..........If you remember how Bourke traded for Henrick, that is what I am looking for , some creativeness.......Like I asked , do you all like average...........because absolutely nothing Benning has done will make us more than average..........We are missing 3 elite forwards and 2 elite D prospects...........and yet we are trying to up-grade to be average.........how does that make sense?

I hope this team will be fun to watch. Like the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 Calgary Flames

I think it will be a boring low scoring defensive minded team in the mode of the Torterella disaster. No secondary scoring and a porous defense, god help if a Sedin or Tanev goes down for 20 games plus. We will be number 1 in the scrums tho.

we get your point for the 10th time...can we get on with the coming season now...enough crap for the off season...how many times can you say the same thing......we get that you don't like the job that benning, linden, willie, the players, the stick boy are doing...you don't have to keep regurgitating the same crap every day...

we get your point for the 10th 2,416th time...can we get on with the coming season now...enough crap for the off season...how many times can you say the same thing......we get that you don't like the job that benning, linden, willie, the players, the stick boy are doing...you don't have to keep regurgitating the same crap every day...

Fixed that for you Joe. Don't know what is more nauseating -- the nutbar's incessant stupid proposals/"discussion" or desi's constant bellyaching (though he's entertaining to say the least).

Wilbur

Not coming at you, just responding to the lead in.............

The Canucks may be improving relative to them selves

But the Canucks are not improving relative to the rest of the NHL

We are a middle of the road hockey team, with middle of the road prospects, with an aging core..............and absolutely no one

will answer my question of where are we going to get these blue chip players that will eventually put us into the upper tier of

teams?

Why is CDC so happy with average?

Archived