The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What did Benning accomplish last year? (Discussion)

3 years and the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Vrbata, Higgins, and Miler will all be gone..........if not sooner!

3 years! And you guys want them all to rot on the vine! *&%$&$@#@ Stupid!

Why oh Why...do you want the Canucks to be average?

I still think it's too early to truly judge Benning. Sure, he's made lots of small, questionable moves, but remember when he was brought into the franchise and why. We had just completely and utterly tanked with Tortorella and Gillis one season, Canucks management rightly so cleaned house and brought in Benning and Linden. Benning made it very clear that he had a 3-5 YEAR PLAN to make the Canucks contenders.

Here was our lineup in the abyssmal 2013-2014 season. Honestly I think all of our downfall was due to Tortorella and MG couldn't have done much, but he really messed up the goalie situation which Benning conversely addressed quite quickly and quite well.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Booth - Richardson - Hansen

Weise - Dalpe - Sestito

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Weber

Stanton

Luongo

Lack

That lineup probably could have done well under a coach like Desjardins, but Benning comes in and completely re-shapes the team from older veterans to character gritty guys and young skilled players. Last years lineup wasn't entirely indicative of Benning's vision. Next years lineup will be. He cleaned out all of his assistants to give him full control of how he wants his team to play and its looking a lot like the Bruins of 2011. Whether or not that is still good enough to win a Cup in todays fast-paced, high-flying playoffs will be the determining factor. When you see Tampa Bay and Chicago go into a shoot out every game of the SCF, you know things have changed, so I hope a gritty, character style of team can still win in the playoffs without over-the-top offence.

I like Bennings moves to mould the team above into the team below:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - Vey - Prust

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bartowski

Sbisa - Weber

Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

However, I still believe we're weaker on defence than we've ever been and this team desperately needs some offence from the blueline. I don't see any of those defenemen capable of 30 let alone 40 points next season. Up front we do have a fair amount of skill still in the Sedins, Baertschi and Sutter, and our bottom-6 looks like it'll be gritty and hard to play against, but that defence NEEDS to be addressed.

In terms of prospects, Benning has a plan clearly. Horvat may have been an MG acquisition, but Benning complemented that sort of player with McCann, Cassels, Virtanen and Boeser. They're all similar powerforwards who play an impact game rather than a skill game. McCann and Cassels are two fantastic two-way centers which is what you need in the playoffs these days, and Virtanen and Boeser are fast-paced goal scorers. Throw in Vey and Baertschi into the mix and Benning has rounded out his future forward group with some very nice skilled players as well. It may not be the league's best group of centers and wingers, but given the circumstances (lower down picks most years) Benning has done very well to build a well balanced forward group of skilled elite players, two way defensive centers and gritty goal scorers (Baertschi/Vey, Cassels/McCann, Boeser/Virtanen respectively).

In goal, Benning has addressed our issues BRILLIANTLY. He walked into an absolute mess of a situation with Luongo being traded, an inexperienced Lack getting shelled every night and Markstrom who had barely played in the NHL as a backup. You look around the league at all the bad teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo etc. and one thing sticks out - they lack a veteran goaltender. Tandems with two inexperienced kids simply DO NOT WORK. Look around the league at all the Cup winners. Boston had Tim Thomas pave the path for a Cup, who then mentored Rask into becoming an elite Cup finalist goalie. Niemi was a fluke playing behind the best defence this league has seen in decades, but Crawford had to earn his keep and after a bit of playoff experience, he put it all together and won 2 Cups himself. Benning is not stupid, he was in Boston when he saw what Thomas did, and he knows that you cannot throw in a young goalie and expect him to play 70 regular season games plus the 20 playoff ones. He goes out and addresses two key needs - a winger for the Sedins, and a veteran goalie to cover up MG's massive mess. In terms of going forward, he knew Lack and Markstrom simply couldn't both play with Miller, and so he made the difficult choice of trading Lack for a 3rd rounder. If that's all teams were giving, there's not much he could have done apart from selling Lack better. One of them had to go, personally I'd prefer us to trade Markstrom but whichever goalie got us more return works well. Now we have a top-10 veteran in Miller able to mentor the AHL's best goaltender to hopefully become a starter - something he never really got a chance in the last few years. Furthermore, Benning drafts the best available goalie in Demko and pushed hard for O'Connor, but with Demko waiting in the wings we FINALLY have a perfect procession of goalies from Miller to Markstrom to Demko. One of the NHLs best, followed by the AHLs best, followed by one of the best goalies of his draft and age. We're pretty lucky in the goalie department, and you can thank Benning for that.

Finally, and IMO most importantly, is Bennings biggest blunder yet - defence. He's done very well with forwards and goalies, but for whatever reason has completely neglected addressing this teams defence which shocks me because of how deep his Boston defence was. We simply do not have the depth at the NHL, AHL or prospect level, to be competitive in this league, and unless Benning is planning a MASSIVE trade or move in the next couple of seasons, we're not going to have an adequate defence to complement the rest of our team in Bennings "3-5 year plan". Acquiring Clendening was a savvy move but then he simply burns him to boost our already-strong center value. If anything, we should b using our vast forward prospects to add value to defencemen through trades (eg. McCann + Sbisa for Joe Morrow).

That being said, we've got a patchwork defence right now and with Bartowski and Hamhuis coming off the books next season (along with 20+M in cap space) I believe that the 2016 Draft and offseason will be Bennings big chance and LAST chance to create a contender. It'll be a lot of hard work but he needs to address this defence, and if he does so in the upcoming offseason we'll have a chance.

DownUnder

Please read the directly above your last post. Please!

I am starting to feel like the old lady on the old commercial....."where's the beef?"

In my case it is ...." where is the blue chips?"

Can anyone any this question for me.......anyone!

You guys all say that you would never tank........well I won't intentionally settle for average! Especially when it

is intentional.......

I mean seriously, do you people really settle for "average". To me that is laying down...just not trying!

so I am going to map this out for you...

2015-2016 average team.........somewhere between 13 and 19......dependent on other teams injuries...as it was last year

2016-2017 slightly below average somewhere between 16 and 22.....Sedins are older, as is Higgins, Burrows, Hamhuis, and Miller

2017-2018 slightly below average somewhere between 16 and 22.....Sedin's retire or should....we still haven't drafted a bluechip yet

2018-2019 below average somewhere between 22 and 30 overall.....we draft our first Bluechip

2019-2020 Edler is now 34 and we are at the bottom of the league....we draft our 2nd Bluechip

2020-2021 Demko is now a starter.......................................................we draft our 3rd Bluechip

2021-2022 Our first Blue chip becomes a starter.................................we draft 16 to 22

2022-2023 Our second Blue Chip becomes a starter...........................we draft 16 to 22...........Edler retires

2023-2024 our 3rd Blue Chiper becomes a starter...............................with the depth we move up substantially 8 to 12 OA

Conversely, we move our vets now and speed up the process.............

But alas, I forgot....you agree to Bennings plan! Play the vets here until they retire! Good luck with that!

DownUnder

Please read the post directly above your last post. Please!

I am starting to feel like the old lady on the old commercial....."where's the beef?"

You guys all say that you would never tank........well I won't intentionally settle for average! Especially when it

is intentional.......

I mean seriously, do you people really settle for "average". To me that is laying down...just not trying!

2015-2016 average team.........somewhere between 13 and 19......dependent on other teams injuries...as it was last year

2016-2017 slightly below average somewhere between 16 and 22.....Sedins are older, as is Higgins, Burrows, Hamhuis, and Miller

2017-2018 slightly below average somewhere between 16 and 22.....Sedin's retire or should....we still haven't drafted a bluechip yet

2018-2019 below average somewhere between 22 and 30 overall.....we draft our first Bluechip

2019-2020 Edler is now 34 and we are at the bottom of the league....we draft our 2nd Bluechip

2020-2021 Demko is now a starter.......................................................we draft our 3rd Bluechip

2021-2022 Our first Blue chip becomes a starter.................................we draft 16 to 22

2022-2023 Our second Blue Chip becomes a starter...........................we draft 16 to 22...........Edler retires

2023-2024 our 3rd Blue Chiper becomes a starter...............................with the depth we move up substantially 8 to 12 OA

But alas, I forgot....you agree to Bennings plan! Play the vets here until they retire! Good luck with that!

DownUnder

is intentional.......

Please tell us how you know we don't have a top end talent. You knew Naslund would be a league leader didn't you? Because he wasn't picked in the top 3. Who lead the league in points last year? He was drafting in the what???? Fourth round. For some reason you have this idea the only good players come in the top picks. Sure lots of good players do but. did Philly think that when they were selecting 22nd in 2006 that they were getting a top end center. What about the blues in 2010 when they selected 16th overall. We have a 6th overall and a 9th overall in our prospect pool. But yet people seem to think unless they were top 5 picks they wont become impact NHLers.

DownUnder

is intentional.......

Ok simply put, you cannot just trade away old players after they've hit their prime and give the ball to young kids to run with. Sounds great in theory, but look what happens...

Buffalo and Edmonton tried that and that's why they're bottom feeders. You can pick high as many times as you want, but the kids aren't going to be superstars and even a team of superstars doesn't win a Cup. Look at the Oilers with all their first overall picks and no playoffs to show for it. Why? Because these talented kids are going into a character-less, veteran-less team without any leadership.

Benning knows how to develop and groom young talent. You play them WITH veterans and slowly process the kids into the league while you process the veterans out of it. It's a very GRADUAL PROCESS. I believe that drafting in the mid-to-late first round and having those kids play with experienced, classy leaders like the Sedins, Burrows and Hamhuis will churn out more playoff-ready, better players than simply tanking and throwing first overall picks into the NHL full time without any mentorship.

Let's just give you some Vegas odd's to prove my point at this juncture for 2015 -2015 Stanley CUP WINNER

Toronto 200 to 1 chance to win the cup 30 OA

Arizona 200 to 1 chance to win the cup 29 OA

Phil all at 100 to 1 odds all at 100 to 1 odds 25 OA

New Jersey all at 100 to 1 odds 25OA

Carolina At 100 to 1 odds 25 OA

Buffalo all at 100 to 1 odds 25 OA

Vancouver 85 to 1 odds 23 OA...............tied for the 7 OA pick at the 2016 draft

Colorado 85 to 1 odds 23 OA...............tied for the 7 OA pick at the 2016 draft

Sharks 60 t0 1 22 OA

Florida 55 to 1 21 OA

Edmonton 50 to 1 20 OA

Ottawa 45 to 1 19 OA

Dallas 40 to 1 18 OA

Boston 35 to 1 17 OA

Calgary 30 to 1 16 OA

Detroit 28 to 1 15 OA

CBJ 25 to 1 14 OA

Winnipeg 22 to 1 12 OA

NYI 22 to 1 12 OA

Capitals 18 to 1 10 OA

Montreal 18 to 1 10 OA

STL 14 to 1 8 OA

Nash 14 to 1 8 OA

Pitts 22 to 1 6 OA

Minni 22 to 1 6 OA

KINGS 10 to 1 4 OA

RANGERS 10 to 1 4 OA

Tampa 17 to 2 3 OA

Anahiem 8 to 1 2 OA

Chicago 13 to 2 1 OA

I don't know about what you guys think....but Vegas isn't into loosing money!

Let's just give you some Vegas odd's to prove my point at this juncture for 2015 -2015 Stanley CUP WINNER

Vancouver 85 to 1 odds 23 OA...............tied for the 7 OA pick at the 2016 draft

Colorado 85 to 1 odds 23 OA...............tied for the 7 OA pick at the 2016 draft

Sharks 60 t0 1 22 OA

Florida 55 to 1 21 OA

Edmonton 50 to 1 20 OA

Ottawa 45 to 1 19 OA

Dallas 40 to 1 18 OA

Boston 35 to 1 17 OA

Calgary 30 to 1 16 OA

Detroit 28 to 1 15 OA

CBJ 25 to 1 14 OA

Winnipeg 22 to 1 12 OA

NYI 22 to 1 12 OA

Capitals 18 to 1 10 OA

Montreal 18 to 1 10 OA

STL 14 to 1 8 OA

Nash 14 to 1 8 OA

Pitts 22 to 1 6 OA

Minni 22 to 1 6 OA

KINGS 10 to 1 4 OA

RANGERS 10 to 1 4 OA

Tampa 17 to 2 3 OA

Anahiem 8 to 1 2 OA

Chicago 13 to 2 1 OA

Teams I think would like Hamhuis are in RED

Sharks 60 t0 1 22 OA

Florida 55 to 1 21 OA

Edmonton 50 to 1 20 OA

Ottawa 45 to 1 19 OA

Dallas 40 to 1 18 OA

Boston 35 to 1 17 OA

Calgary 30 to 1 16 OA

Detroit 28 to 1 15 OA

CBJ 25 to 1 14 OA

Winnipeg 22 to 1 12 OA

NYI 22 to 1 12 OA

Capitals 18 to 1 10 OA

Montreal 18 to 1 10 OA

STL 14 to 1 8 OA

Nash 14 to 1 8 OA

Pitts 22 to 1 6 OA

Minni 22 to 1 6 OA

KINGS 10 to 1 4 OA

RANGERS 10 to 1 4 OA

Tampa 17 to 2 3 OA

Anahiem 8 to 1 2 OA

Chicago 13 to 2 1 OA

Team I think would like Vrbata are in RED

DownUnder

is intentional.......

I agree with ALMOST ALL of your assessment of how this rebuild is actually going to work. But if Alexander Edler is still with the Canucks for the 2022-23 season, please kill me now.

We got a top 10 pick two years in a row, and four first rounders over those same two years. Safe to say we got a nice injection of talented youth.

If we tanked we would gotten what, a couple of 4th rounders for Matthias / Richardson? Big deal. I would rather watch a decent hockey team.

As for the pick I like Boeser. He has potential to be as good as any of the forwards picked after maybe Mitch Marner. Given his numbers in the USHL, Boeser is among some great company.

So, play to lose this season?

I think I'll skip this season then, thanks.

So slap shot

Why are you not advocating liquidating our prospects, and moving our vets with them for up grades?

With the up grades, we would be back near the top

We did that before 2011 and nearly won a cup...........

So you would rather not take a run at a cup

Would rather be average or lower for the next 10 years

Would rather not have any blue chip prospects

Would rather disagree with Vegas Odds

Would rather ignore evaluations of our prospects from experts that put us in the middle of the pack

and would rather just leave it to luck! and discards from other teams "That a boy!"

Read my 8:24 pm post.....cause you had better really love the Canucks!

But if you disagree with me.......why don't you put down you counter argument!

Sharks 60 t0 1 22 OA

Florida 55 to 1 21 OA

Edmonton 50 to 1 20 OA

Ottawa 45 to 1 19 OA

Dallas 40 to 1 18 OA

Boston 35 to 1 17 OA

Calgary 30 to 1 16 OA

Detroit 28 to 1 15 OA

CBJ 25 to 1 14 OA

Winnipeg 22 to 1 12 OA

NYI 22 to 1 12 OA

Capitals 18 to 1 10 OA

Montreal 18 to 1 10 OA

STL 14 to 1 8 OA

Nash 14 to 1 8 OA

Pitts 22 to 1 6 OA

Minni 22 to 1 6 OA

KINGS 10 to 1 4 OA

RANGERS 10 to 1 4 OA

Tampa 17 to 2 3 OA

Anahiem 8 to 1 2 OA

Chicago 13 to 2 1 OA

Where is Tyhee to argue with me on this one? "TYHEEEEEEEE!"

I'm not sure blowing it up and tanking for picks is the right option.

As another poster showed before, tanking can get your back into the playoffs, but it far from guarantees you a Cup. Worse yet, you could end up being the Sabres and the Blue Jackets. Perpetually tanking, and never really getting anywhere.

I'm not sure blowing it up and tanking for picks is the right option.

As another poster showed before, tanking can get your back into the playoffs, but it far from guarantees you a Cup. Worse yet, you could end up being the Sabres and the Blue Jackets. Perpetually tanking, and never really getting anywhere.

I agree. If Benning has the go ahead from Aquilini I'm confident he'll only need a year or so to turn it around. We already have most of the pieces in place, and we have/could have the pieces (Hamhuis, Vrbata, bad season etc.) to acquire those last few needs. With Benning saying he's saving cap space for next summer that leads me to believe he'll be going HARD after Lucic and Seabrook. Those potential moves could make this a very quick rebuild.

Would be a good fit for them. I would definitly want Rychel coming back though

Vrbata LW

for

Rychel LW

3rd?

I wouldn't mind that. We could potentially have the best LW depth in the NHL if Rychel turns into the player he's supposed to be.

Archived