The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What did Benning accomplish last year? (Discussion)

2017-2018 slightly below average somewhere between 16 and 22.....Sedin's retire or should....we still haven't drafted a bluechip yet

HAHAHA, sorry man, I just about spat out my drink.

You think the twins are going to retire at 37-38 years old? They're some of the hardest working players off-ice, health-freaks, and have played with smarts instead of abusing their bodies for their entire careers.

Barring some sort of freak injury (to both?) they'll be our twin Jagrs... the beauty is that they'll still be adequate 2nd line players until they're over 40.

The way I've always seen it with Henrik and Daniel is that their careers will come full circle - as young players, they filled out the 2nd line perfectly while the West Coast Express lit up the league on the 1st. By the time McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Shink, Baert, etc. have determined who our next top line will be, the twins will still be manning the 2nd line and (if they're anything like Jaromir) putting up points. If anything, we'll be a better team by then than we are today.

The twins are literally on the verge of making it to the hall-of-fame. If they keep going into their 40s they might be entering true legend territory.

Also... if you think it will take another 5 years for Demko to be our starter, you haven't been watching. The kid might even be our backup in 2016-17 if Markstrom falters.

[2013-14 Canucks]

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Booth - Richardson - Hansen

Weise - Dalpe - Sestito

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Weber

Stanton

Luongo

Lack

[2014-15 Canucks]

I like Bennings moves to mould the team above into the team below:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - Vey - Prust

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bartowski

Sbisa - Weber

Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Thanks for the leg work on the comparable.

Benning has done LOTS in a year.......note Luongo and Weise were already traded before Benning was hired

1. Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa, 1st
  2. Sign FA's Miller, Vrbata......shore up goaltending, add top 6 scoring to replace Kesler's production
  3. Garrison for 2nd (to clear cap)
  4. 2nd for Vey
  5. Santo, Booth, Dalpe, Sestito not re-signed
  6. Horvat successfully makes the jump to Canucks
  7. Dorsett added
  8. Torts out, Willie in, management team set

to that point, the Kesler cancer was successfully removed and the scoring replaced at the sacrifice of Garrison. The weakness was no legit 2C (or 2nd line) but better depth in bottom 6. Less depth on D and less talent since Garrison moved. Overall a big improvement in team performance due to better character (Kesler gone) and better coaching. Better depth in Utica.

Mid season we see further prospect additions of Clendening, Pedan, Sautner, and Baertschi

At end of season, we see further issues resolved:

1. Kassian traded for another character player, Prust
  2. Goaltending issue resolved, Lack traded
  3. Sutter traded for Bonino and Clendening
  4. Bieksa traded for 2nd
  5. Bartkowski acquired as FA
  6. Stanton, Richardson, Matthias not re-signed

So we now see a team that is younger and is relying on some young players in key positions and with better character and still has the balance of veterans to young players to develop players at the NHL level. The 2nd line is better but Sutter has to show that he can take on the increased responsibility. With the loss of Richardson, the bottom 6 may be slightly weaker. Team speed is better and defense while having better puck movers, still lacks size and a top 4 player.

The team is still a work in progress but changes show that they are moving in the right direction. Overall the team is as good as last years talent wise is faster and better character wise. Another decent year drafting and prospects are improving.

Not every move has been good. The Garrison trade has effectively shifted the strength of the team from defense to forwards. Many were annoyed by the Lack trade but overall, I'm happy.

I think that in the coming year we will see further movement and the defense needs to be addressed.

Offseason:

1) Kesler needed to be traded, and handcuffed the team with 1 destination. Still managed to make lemonade by grabbing a useful Bonino and a very astute pick in McCann.

2) Had too many old D-men with NTCs, which Gillis had repeatedly said he would not ask a player to waive. Desperately needed to move out the old, and bring in the new. Managed to convince Garrison to waive. Got a 2nd round pick and (more importantly) cleared a bunch of salary, making room for the next move(s).

3) Our 25th-place team needed an infusion of goalscoring, toughness, character, goaltending, and youth - pretty tall order. But managed to address each of them by signing Vrbata, trading for Dorsett, signing Miller, trading for Vey, and insisting on Horvat sticking.

During season:

4) Only near NHL-ready legitimate D prospect was Corrado. Added Pedan and Clendening for depth. The latter was a high risk move, but was an ultimate attempt to buy low and sell high at the same time (Clendening's struggles coinciding with Forsling's WJC success).

5) Made playoffs.

After season:

6) Convinced another old D-man with NTC to waive, rather than waiting him out and letting him walk.

7) Cleared the goaltender log-jam without losing anyone for nothing (waivers, walking, etc.)

8) The defensive and faceoff ability of our centers proved a big problem in the 2nd half of the year (especially after Richardson got hurt). Flipped Bonino and Clendening for an upgrade at center.

...So the answer to the thread question is: a hell of a lot! That's a freakin' huge amount of activity for a little over 1 year.

Some may question his moves or vision, but there isn't a GM in the league that has done more to try to improve his team in the last 16 months.

Man you have an agenda don't you Janice?

Suggest change your name > #advocatefortankingtroll

Now Surfer

You do make it personal, but for the most part I enjoy your posts

Let us go on record here...........

You answer me these questions and we will see who is right!

#1. What place do you see the Canucks placing in the Western Conference?

My answer..................10th in the west (18 OA) Your answer....................

#2. List me one, #1 blue-chip prospect in our system outside of Demko?

My answer...................there is none! Your answer......................

#3 When do you see our first-line prospects arriving in our system, outside of Demko?

My answer....................within 3 years Your answer.....................

Care to go on record?

Surfer

Here is the problem I see; last year we had probably 3 teams that were held back from being contenders in the west because of injuries....Dallas, Columbus, and LA.............add into it Calgary is stronger and that Edmonton will be stronger and more importantly our core will be older and I think we will be lucky to get 10 OA in the west.

Additionally, we are weaker on defense, with no depth.......................if we have one injury of our top 3 we will be hard pressed to protect our goal.........speaking of goal and injuries............Benning is banking on a lot next year, as if/when Miller goes down, all we have between us and the bottom is Markstrom. Exactly who is our call up?

So, do I have faith in our line up? No, not really. Personally, and why I am so adamant we sell off more vets as a good thing in this case, is because I see no difference between 18 OA and 30th OA, except the value of our draft picks.

I have earned the right to be a Canuck fan, as I have suffered through many highs and lows, and have always been in front of the TV for the next game.always, through thick and thin.

So, please answer my questions and I hope you are right!

Cheers!

Janis your problem is you think blue chip prospects only come in the form of top 5 picks.. There are more blue chip D in the NHL that have came outside of the top 5 than inside the top 5. The reason you don't see any blue chip prospects is because you have wrote them off based on their draft position rather than waiting for them to develop. Did you think Johnny hockey was a blue chip when he was drafted? What about Gio? where was he drafted again. I bet you were high on Naslund too

Virtanen and Horvat look to me like blue chip prospects.

PS. Columbus is in the east, and LA had the second least amount of man games lost (unless yo consider the russian getting suspended)

2015-16

Canucks finish 6-9th in the west. Sedins remain in the top 20 in points. Horvat breaks 40 points, Baertschi puts up 45 and virtanen in his rookie season puts up 15 goal. Markstrom gets 25 games and looks good, Corrado becomes part of our top 4 by the end of the year. Pedan becomes depth

Hamhuis, Vbrata, and Higgins are traded at at the deadline for picks. Canucks pick up a few D in the draft.

2016-17

Canucks Sign Lucic. Canucks finish 5-8th in the west. Horvat, Baertschi and Virtanen become a top 2nd line in the west. All players putting up 50+. Shinkaruk, Cassels, Grenier make the team. Markstrom takes over as the starter. Burrows and Edler are moved for prospects.

2018-19

Again the canucks finish Canucks finish 5-8th in the west. The Horvat line becomes our first line. Brisebois makes the canucks roster. Markstrom puts up top 5 goalies numbers. New prospects and picks start to make the team.. Canucks make deep playoff run....

2020-21

Canucks resign sedins short term. Canucks are considered cup contenders.

Janis your problem is you think blue chip prospects only come in the form of top 5 picks.. There are more blue chip D in the NHL that have came outside of the top 5 than inside the top 5. The reason you don't see any blue chip prospects is because you have wrote them off based on their draft position rather than waiting for them to develop. Did you think Johnny hockey was a blue chip when he was drafted? What about Gio? where was he drafted again. I bet you were high on Naslund too

PS. Columbus is in the east, and LA had the second least amount of man games lost (unless yo consider the russian getting suspended)

Yes, I messed up there and erase Colorado instead of Columbus after I edited........my bad! I was really considering man/games lost, and even so your point is well taken

2015-16

Canucks finish 6-9th in the west. Sedins remain in the top 20 in points. Horvat breaks 40 points, Baertschi puts up 45 and virtanen in his rookie season puts up 15 goal. Markstrom gets 25 games and looks good, Corrado becomes part of our top 4 by the end of the year. Pedan becomes depth

Hamhuis, Vbrata, and Higgins are traded at at the deadline for picks. Canucks pick up a few D in the draft .I hope so

2016-17

Canucks Sign Lucic. Canucks finish 5-8th in the west. Horvat, Baertschi and Virtanen become a top 2nd line in the west. All players putting up 50+. Shinkaruk, Cassels, Grenier make the team. Markstrom takes over as the starter. Burrows and Edler are moved for prospects.

Where all our defensemen coming from? UFA's?

2018-19

Again the canucks finish Canucks finish 5-8th in the west. The Horvat line becomes our first line. Brisebois makes the canucks roster. Markstrom puts up top 5 goalies numbers. New prospects and picks start to make the team.. Canucks make deep playoff run....Now I love Horvat, and he could possibly make a first line center on the Canucks, but will he be a true #1 center or just the best we have? Is he not better suited as a 2nd line center?

Doesn't make him elite though.

2020-21

Canucks resign sedins short term. Canucks are considered cup contenders. I don't think they will, but you could be right.

Forsberg

I totally agree that elite comes from through-out the draft, and I don't think we need to "tank" just for the sake of tanking, I have merely said that we should trade out vets before they rot, and then trolls come out and say I want tanking....this is not the case, I just want to move vets out while they still have value.....that is not asking for our team to tank......I have merely said you find a higher percentage of elite near the top....in case Horvat and Virtanen...both top 10 picks and our 2 best young players. As you have confirmed.

I find it enjoyable bantering with the likes of you and Surfer, Tyhee and such...........sometimes I learn something, other times it confirms how I feel

I feel pretty solid about how I feel on this, but I would love to be proven wrong, it will be an interesting season for sure, one that will fuel more debate, I hope

Thanks for your response! Cheers

Forsberg

I totally agree that elite comes from through-out the draft, and I don't think we need to "tank" just for the sake of tanking, I have merely said that we should trade out vets before they rot, and then trolls come out and say I want tanking....this is not the case, I just want to move vets out while they still have value.....that is not asking for our team to tank......I have merely said you find a higher percentage of elite near the top....in case Horvat and Virtanen...both top 10 picks and our 2 best young players. As you have confirmed.

I find it enjoyable bantering with the likes of you and Surfer, Tyhee and such...........sometimes I learn something, other times it confirms how I feel

I feel pretty solid about how I feel on this, but I would love to be proven wrong, it will be an interesting season for sure, one that will fuel more debate, I hope

Thanks for your response! Cheers

As I suspect, I think that a lot of CDC posters have more in common than they think.

D is probably the first need to be filled, before replacing the Sedins. There are already prospects in the system who have a chance to develop into that role but where are the D prospects to replace the top 3 or 4? I don't think that this is a radical statement.

How do you think that the Sutter trade and signing (now official 5 @ 4.375) affects the rebuild curve? This guy is 26, Tanev is 25, Horvat is 20.

Hamhuis and Vrbata are ripe to be moved as rentals this year and would yield a nice return that could fill holes in the prospect group. I think this is more likely NOW than taking picks.

I think that the Sutter signing signals a reloading to take another shot at the cup before Horvat and others reach their prime and have a shot at the cup themselves. Hank foreshadowed this in his recent Swedish interview when he said they might have another shot in the last year of their contract.

Thoughts?

As I suspect, I think that a lot of CDC posters have more in common than they think.

D is probably the first need to be filled, before replacing the Sedins. There are already prospects in the system who have a chance to develop into that role but where are the D prospects to replace the top 3 or 4? I don't think that this is a radical statement.

How do you think that the Sutter trade and signing (now official 5 @ 4.375) affects the rebuild curve? This guy is 26, Tanev is 25, Horvat is 20.

Hamhuis and Vrbata are ripe to be moved as rentals this year and would yield a nice return that could fill holes in the prospect group. I think this is more likely NOW than taking picks.

I think that the Sutter signing signals a reloading to take another shot at the cup before Horvat and others reach their prime and have a shot at the cup themselves. Hank foreshadowed this in his recent Swedish interview when he said they might have another shot in the last year of their contract.

Thoughts?

I can't see the Canucks making the playoffs the next two seasons unless we get unreal goaltending - the forwards and defence are just not good enough.

We just have to manage our assets properly, accumulate quality draft picks, draft well and hope that the you guys exceed expectations. Getting top 5 picks would be the best path to rebuild. Sure, teams can/have rebuilt without but it is a lot easier to do with top picks.

2015-16

Hamhuis, Vbrata, and Higgins are traded at at the deadline for picks. Canucks pick up a few D in the draft.

2016-17

2018-19

Again the canucks finish Canucks finish 5-8th in the west. The Horvat line becomes our first line. Brisebois makes the canucks roster. Markstrom puts up top 5 goalies numbers. New prospects and picks start to make the team.. Canucks make deep playoff run....

2020-21

Canucks resign sedins short term. Canucks are considered cup contenders.

I agree with Forsberg, in that we should see a big improvement from the 2016 FA class. Get lucic and a solid D-man we are set. The thing most are overlooking is that some of our D-man prospects could turn out to be real good. Pedan and Hutton could be those late round steals that this team needs to put us over the top. After all, as you stated, top 5 does not guarantee a stud at the position, it is development and coaching that elicits the full potential of our prospects

“Where all our defensemen coming from? UFA's?”

Sure, it doesn’t always have to be through drafting top 5 picks. If we get a player to come out of our current prospect pool that can excel, (like edler did) great, But it’s really not that uncommon for teams to build their D core outside of players they drafted in the top 5. If can be a free agent signing or trade.

In 2011 look at the canucks D core

Hamhuis – Picked up as UFA

Ehrhoff – picked up through trade

Bieska -5th round pick

Edler – 3rd round pick

Salo – 9th round pick

Tanev – Undrafted

Rome - picked up through trade

Look at the 2011, cup winning bruins

Again not a single one of those players were drafted by the bruins or were top 5 picks. All were picked up through UFA and trade.

Look at the Hawks.

Hjalmarsson – 4th round pick

Seabrook – 14th overall (bubble playoff team like canucks could be this year)

Keith – 2nd round pick

Byfuglien – 8th round pick

In fact the only D player they did pick in the top 5 of their “9 of 10 years missing the post season”, was 3rd overall Cam Barker.

The point is, not every team has to build there D core through drafting top 5 picks. Some teams it works for, LA got Doughty, TB has Hedman. Fla has Ekblad. But the majority of teams find other ways to build there D core, and the thing about D is they take a while before you can say yes or no that to them being blue chip prospects. Even Hedman the first few years struggles to find his game. It wasn’t until he had over 250 NHL games experience that he started to find his confidence. So just because you can’t see who will be filling the holes in our future D core as of right now doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Flames just picked up a top young D and, it didn’t cost them a top 5 pick, No, in fact they made the playoffs and still were able to pick up a top D player at the draft.

“Now I love Horvat, and he could possibly make a first line center on the Canucks, but will he be a true #1 center or just the best we have? Is he not better suited as a 2nd line center?

Doesn't make him elite though.”

Again writing a ceiling on a player isn’t that smart of a move. Do I think Horvat is likely to put up over ppg numbers every season, like Henrik did? Not really but that doesn’t mean he’s not a number 1 center. What is considered a true number one center, it’s about winning cups, not putting up individual stats. Pens have Crosby, Malkin two of the most talented centers in the league and still have picked up one cup, Henrik Sedin is an art ross winning and still doesn’t have a cup. Mean will the strong two way centers are picking up multiple cups. Toews, Kopitar and Datzyuk the last couple of years are 60-75 point players with strong two way games. Would you write Horvat off from hitting that limit?

Canucks fans have been proven wrong before.

CDC: Kesler will never be more than a 3rd line centre.

Goes on to score 73, 75, and 59 points.

CDC: The Sedins will never be more than second line players...

Both Daniel and Henrik are the only two Canucks ever to win the Art Ross Trophy.

Let's give Benning a couple of seasons to see what he can do shall we?

I can't see the Canucks making the playoffs the next two seasons unless we get unreal goaltending - the forwards and defence are just not good enough.

We just have to manage our assets properly, accumulate quality draft picks, draft well and hope that the you guys exceed expectations. Getting top 5 picks would be the best path to rebuild. Sure, teams can/have rebuilt without but it is a lot easier to do with top picks.

The next 2 seasons are transition years. I think that next year will see even more young players ready to take the leap to the NHL. Every year we could be seeing 3-4 rookies ready to play for the Canucks. During this time of high turnover, making the playoffs will be tough.

I agree that the only sure fire way to develop is through the draft. There are no short cuts. Benning has said this himself.

I am frankly puzzled as to how Sutter fits into the long term plan of the rebuild. He is 26 and is substantially ahead of the development curve for this club. Two possibilities come to mind:

1. As I said above, is Benning going to reload for a run at the cup in either the final year of the Sedins contract or the year after? Could this mean that he goes after Lucic and say a top 4 D in the 25-27 age range. This, together with the development of the younger players may be a better team than last years 101 point team and could take a deep run in the playoffs.
  2. Of course the main thrust of the rebuild is through drafting but in the meantime, most of the old core will have to be replaced. Burrows, Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Prust and Miller will all likely be gone in 3 years (the Sedins, who knows?), that leaves few players in the mature stage to mentor the young developing group. This could be what is behind the Sutter trade. By all accounts he is a leader and did carry and "A" in Pittsburgh. So Sutter could be the first of a few additions (maybe you could include Dorsett) that are really brought in to help develop the young players by mentoring and keeping the young team competitive.

Who knows, these 2 routes may not be mutually exclusive.

In 3 years, we could be looking at the following line up.

Sedin Sedin Lucic.....................the "all slow" line :P

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Gaunce Sutter Grenier

Kenins McCann Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Hutton Corrado

Bartkowski Pedan

Markstrom

Demko

Or another top 4 D traded for but not named

I think the "plan" is to likely be missing the playoffs this year, and selling off rental pieces for picks/prospects/youth at the deadline (Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, Bartkowski...not all, but most). Maybe even guys with another season left like Higgins and Burrows will go too. Then Benning will have multiple picks in the 2016 draft - which he's identified as an especially strong one.

But, IMO, that will be the end of the "retool". Between the youth/prospects we have in the system, those added at the deadline, and the 2016 picks, we should have a pretty solid farm system. Hopefully we'll have landed the elusive young stud OFD somewhere there...if not two of them. Then Benning will go aggressively after a defensemen or two in free agency (one or more of Seabrook, Yandle, Byfuglien, Giordano and Erik Johnson may be available...possibly even bringing back Hamhuis) and/or trade (if cap stagnates or falls, could be deals from cap-strapped teams, like how NYI acquired Boychuk and Leddy).

Then in 2016-17, we'll be set with a pretty strong young team, that should be able to compete while the twins are still effective. Even if Benning spends ALL his chips on D (of course, he'll probably add/upgrade somewhere up front too; but the main focus will be the D), our forwards are looking pretty decent, with lots of secondary options if certain guys don't pan out:

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Shinkaruk

Kenins - Sutter - Hansen

Grenier - Vey - Dorsett

Call-ups/Plan B's: McCann, Boeser, Cassels, Guance, Jensen, Friesen, Zalewski...

That is a strong young line-up of forwards, IMO. If the D is improved enough, and the goaltending remains strong, the team should be able to compete for the next few years. Maybe they won't be Stanley Cup favourites like in 2010-11...but then again, who really saw that team coming together two years prior?

- They had just missed the playoffs in 2008.

- No one saw Art Ross trophies coming from the twins (many still were calling them 2nd liners).

- No one saw Burrows and Kesler taking their games to such high levels.

- Key defenders like Ohlund, Salo, and Mitchell were getting older, and having some health issues.

- Hansen was a fresh-faced 9th round pick that shied from physical play.

- There was no Hamhuis, no Ehrhoff, no Samuelsson, no Malhotra, no Higgins, no Tanev...

- We had an even worse prospect pool...MUCH worse.

So can the Canucks compete for a cup while the Sedins are still here and effective? Sure - but just like 2010-11, it will take some good moves by the GM, along with strong development from younger players.

For the record, I'd rather NOT see Lucic here.

I don't think that they're planning on missing the playoffs, it's going to be hard to make it and they might not.

Also, I agree that they will start turning over some of the older players, namely, Vrbata and Hamhuis as rentals at the trade deadline. But not so many players that they gut the team. And yes, the first thing to address is D.

The long and the short of it is that the Canucks could be on the rise again and be competitive in as little as 3 years.

I really don't think that the addition of a player in his prime or even early 30's is a sign of management being wishy-washy. We all know that every team needs a mix of age groups to be effective for lots of reasons. As the older group get shipped out for assets or retire, they need to add back a few vets to fill the role.

It is truly amazing how many variation of move the veterans there are. I can't say that mine are any better, and I agree we can't move them all out at one time, nor should we.

I find it very interesting how we all very aware of the bulk of our vets all being 34 this year. We will have an amazing amount of cap to

play with in the next few years.

I like the idea of trading off a few this year for additional picks in this years draft (if the price is right!), but equally as interesting will be our ability to buy a few UFA's as our cap opens up. (if Benning doesn't use it all up over paying 4th liners)

I think we need to trade a few vets, draft a few additional picks, sign a few UFA's, and develop our players fully........funny enough, these are all things others have stated, as well.

In the end, we will dip for a year or 2, but being a spend to the cap team will allow us to spring forward quicker than other teams, hopefully having moved some of our vets to speed our filling of the cupboards.......

Well this will happen this way, if Benning moves vets......if he doesn't we will watch them retire one by one, or two by two in some cases.........

It should create more discussion in any case.

Just one more comment.... I really admire those that keep an eye on all the juniors and prospects, as I love to read all the proposals and counter proposals that they have....very interesting!

Thanks !

Guy did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Made the playoffs. check

traded kesler and clear cap. cap

bring in younger players. check

fire torts and bring in his guy. check

ladies and gentlemen benning recognize that making the playoffs we have enough skill guys but a couple players that are not giving enough to the team. Which causes us a whole to be easier to play against. I totally see where he is coming far and value he is getting in this trade isn't outstanding but they have potential and make sense with his plan. Not one game has been played and yet we are thinking this team will tank. Let me tell you guys that vancouver canucks that I grew up watching and loving will be one of toughest teams to play against this year. We might not be stanley cup champions, we might not go deep in the playoffs but with our work ethic teams will no longer push us over like we have seen countless times over the pass few years. All you fans who think you know better, could of gotten a better deal, ect... Jim Benning played for us. If he wins a cup in his time here he will be remember for the history of his time. He is thinking outside the box with his plan and he is executing it very well in my eyes. Drafting has been wonderful in my eyes as of now but will need a couple more years to see who busts and who becomes a star.

As fans lets get behind our team, players and management group. Let be known as the best fans in canada that cheer no matter what. Jets have great fans but Vancouver could be better if we put our egos down and come together to form a fan base renown across the world of hockey!

P.S.

I am not bias and do think that is not prefect aka sbisa contact but as a whole he is a lot better then what we used to have and what other teams have to deal with.

JB did not fire Torts.

Archived