The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The other side to Benning's expensive 4th line

clee

There have been many complaints about Dorsett's 2.65M and Prust's $2.5M contract. However, I argue that Benning knows what he is doing.

Benning has been trying to create a team with more grit, heart, passion, and energy. He wants a "team" effort. In order to achieve that, you need to use a cap structure which has less spread between your star players and your fighters.

In the Gillis era, fighters were paid minimal. What is there to fight for if you're earning $850K? You need to reward toughness and those who stick up for their teamates. When the team is being paid with more balance, I argue that those in the bottom 6 feel that they are worth more, hence they will contribute more. I'm not saying you overpay every 4th line fighter, such as Sestito, but when they play with grit, passion, and energy, you need to reward that. This will breed the right culture.

Think about it. Why did Dorsett text Benning to thank him for Prust? That is a clear indication that our team lacks the toughness and "team effort".

Of course, by paying your 4th line more, you have less $ for star players. So the tradeoff for teamwork, grit, heart, passion, and energy (Prust) is ultimately skill (Kassian).

I'm not saying what Benning is doing is 100% correct, I'm just asking you to consider the other side of an expensive 4th line.

I doubt Prust and Dorsett are paired together, spread the toughness throughout the lineup not just one line

this

Also think prust and dorsett both take a pay cut due to their play to stay in vancouver at season end.(Not sure when dorsett contact ends)

sedins burrows

virtanen horvat vrbata

higgins sutter dorsett

prust vey hansen

kennis

I have a feeling vey could shock a lot of heads. He wasn't good last year and knows people noticed it. One more bad season and he is off to the ahl or is off to europe. if vey sucks we will trade for a upgrade or let another young guy take his place

kennis I think will force us to trade higgins if virtanen is playing top6 and well. higgins at deadline is worth a low first + 3rd / 2 top 100 picks

Id like to see our lineup be

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Kenins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

IMO Prust and Dorsett should be on the 4th line getting 10 mins a night + PK time. Our 3rd line is to good to put one of Prust/Dorsett on it

Grinders with heart play hard whether they are making $800K or $2.9M. It's in their makeup and it's why they made the NHL and got a reputation as players with heart. I don't think you'll get much more out of Dorsett on the ice by paying him $2.5M rather than $1.2M. If you do, it certainly won't be $1.3M in cap space worth of extra performance.

There have been many complaints about Dorsett's 2.65M and Prust's $2.5M contract. However, I argue that Benning knows what he is doing.

Benning has been trying to create a team with more grit, heart, passion, and energy. He wants a "team" effort. In order to achieve that, you need to use a cap structure which has less spread between your star players and your fighters.

In the Gillis era, fighters were paid minimal. What is there to fight for if you're earning $850K? You need to reward toughness and those who stick up for their teamates. When the team is being paid with more balance, I argue that those in the bottom 6 feel that they are worth more, hence they will contribute more. I'm not saying you overpay every 4th line fighter, such as Sestito, but when they play with grit, passion, and energy, you need to reward that. This will breed the right culture.

Think about it. Why did Dorsett text Benning to thank him for Prust? That is a clear indication that our team lacks the toughness and "team effort".

Of course, by paying your 4th line more, you have less $ for star players. So the tradeoff for teamwork, grit, heart, passion, and energy (Prust) is ultimately skill (Kassian).

I'm not saying what Benning is doing is 100% correct, I'm just asking you to consider the other side of an expensive 4th line.

I agree that this what Benning is trying to do.

And it is not just about "fighters". He wants more team toughness and more intensity -- guys who will go hard into corners and hard to the net, who will make hits, who will consistently work hard in 1-on-1 puck battles and win their share, and who will take a hit to make a play.

So there is a plan to the moves Benning has made -- trading for Pedan, selecting Virtanen with the #6 pick, picking Dorsett and signing him to an expensive contract, same for Sbisa, trading Kassian for Prust and trading Bonino and Clendening for Sutter. He also likes Kenins and Grenier as potential call-ups or even on the active (23-man) roster.

I agree that is the plan and we will all be interested to see if it is successful. But someone has to score and that will put a big burden on the Sedins.

Id like to see our lineup be

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Kenins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

IMO Prust and Dorsett should be on the 4th line getting 10 mins a night + PK time. Our 3rd line is to good to put one of Prust/Dorsett on it

I'd switch Kenins and Prust and call it a good looking lineup right there

I agree that this what Benning is trying to do.

And it is not just about "fighters". He wants more team toughness and more intensity -- guys who will go hard into corners and hard to the net, who will make hits, who will consistently work hard in 1-on-1 puck battles and win their share, and who will take a hit to make a play.

So there is a plan to the moves Benning has made -- trading for Pedan, selecting Virtanen with the #6 pick, picking Dorsett and signing him to an expensive contract, same for Sbisa, trading Kassian for Prust and trading Bonino and Clendening for Sutter. He also likes Kenins and Grenier as potential call-ups or even on the active (23-man) roster.

I agree that is the plan and we will all be interested to see if it is successful. But someone has to score and that will put a big burden on the Sedins.

The Sedins will have a much better chance of having a great year because teams will be busy spending energy on the likes of Prust, Dorsett, Sutter and Bartkowski. This jolt of energy will be complemented by the youth movement that includes Horvat and maybe one of Bernier, Virtanen or McCann.

I wouldn't have to want to deal with the newly found grit the Canucks have. It could get ugly.

The Sedins will have a much better chance of having a great year because teams will be busy spending energy on the likes of Prust, Dorsett, Sutter and Bartkowski. This jolt of energy will be complemented by the youth movement that includes Horvat and maybe one of Bernier, Virtanen or McCann.

I wouldn't have to want to deal with the newly found grit the Canucks have. It could get ugly.

This is what I wish to see the future canuck team be like. Notice how when the Bruins had success they grouped up in 5 man scrums, sometimes on one player. This intimidates the opponent and shows that its not just one tough player, but the entire team that has the guts to stand up. My hope is that Benning is creating a fast, nasty and in your face team. If this happens I could care less about the cup, as long as we dont cower down like previous versions of this team.

Oh, sorry I thought he was defending spending all that money on 4th liners.

You need to work on your reading comprehension.

What he is saying has nothing to do with raising the Canucks perceived toughness. He's saying that showing all players on the team that they are valued will improve the entire team from within.

It's really not that hard to understand...

kennis I think will force us to trade higgins if virtanen is playing top6 and well. higgins at deadline is worth a low first + 3rd / 2 top 100 picks

Higgins? Chris freaking Higgins is going to net a 1st? Lmao. Some people man...

Grinders with heart play hard whether they are making $800K or $2.9M. It's in their makeup and it's why they made the NHL and got a reputation as players with heart. I don't think you'll get much more out of Dorsett on the ice by paying him $2.5M rather than $1.2M. If you do, it certainly won't be $1.3M in cap space worth of extra performance.

That's not true, I know quite a few of his friends & some of his family...If Derek feels appreciated (like pretty much anyone), he's gonna go that extra distance. The guy's a workhorse, he'll be worth every cent.

I mean, c'mon he just came off a 25 point season, was a +4 & logged serious sin bin minutes...the vast majority of which came from sticking up for teammates.

Archived