The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Toronto re-signs Bernier 2 x 4.15 per

Bernier: .912 Save %, 2.87 GAA 2 Shutouts.

Miller: .911 Save %, 2.53 GAA, 6 Shutouts.

If $4.15 is fair for Bernier. Then why do fans go nuts because Miller is getting $6 mill?

Miller on a good team bernier playing for a joke team. Millers should of been better

If $4.15 is fair for Bernier. Then why do fans go nuts because Miller is getting $6 mill?

He's making roughly 30% more than Bernier posting a lower GAA.

GAA? really? that's using a bad statistic to judge goaltender performance to push your own agenda.

Because we had Eddie Lack that we could have kept for cheaper than Miller.

I guess the two issues to that was:

- They pulled Lack in the playoffs to put in an injured Miller.

- Benning didn't feel comfortable having an inexperienced goalie as a back up, and a starter with about 1 season combined experience as the number one.

I would have taken the gamble. Maybe Benning is too conservative. $6 million dollars buys a lot of d.

But it also shows $6 million is on the high side, but he was a UFA, and it doesn't look too far out of line now.

He's making roughly 30% more than Bernier posting a lower GAA.

GAA? really? that's using a bad statistic to judge goaltender performance to push your own agenda.

Funny I don't have an agenda, I just don't get the hate. So how to you measure a goalie then?

Is save percentage the only stat?

Even that can be misleading.

Goalie A: Save percentage of .930, 50 games, but a great defence so that he only stops 10 shots a game.

Goalie B: Save percentage of .930. 50 games, poor defence, stops 30 shots per game.

Who's the better goalie?

Because they know nothing about hockey and just want to complain.

Because they know nothing about hockey and just want to complain.

Yep.

There also seems to be a love affair for backup goalies in this town too. Fans always seem to root for the younger "underdog", even if it means pinning our own goalies against each other. Pretty stupid actually.

Funny I don't have an agenda, I just don't get the hate. So how to you measure a goalie then?

Is save percentage the only stat?

Even that can be misleading.

Goalie A: Save percentage of .930, 50 games, but a great defence so that he only stops 10 shots a game.

Goalie B: Save percentage of .930. 50 games, poor defence, stops 30 shots per game.

Who's the better goalie?

But that isn't remotely realistic

Toronto averaged 34.5 shots against per game with the 5th worst defense in the league, Vancouver 30th with a bottom 15 defense.

Miller still had a worse save percentage. Yes Bernier had a higher GAA, but that's representative of him facing more shots. But in terms of percentages, the more shots he faced - he had a higher save percentage on those shots.

Simple. GAA is an awful statistic and always will be.

Archived