The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canadian Election - Liberals Win Majority

DonLever

Harper ships over Aussie "master of the dark political arts," to straighten campaign.

Stephen Harpers Conservatives are reaching overseas for expert election help in a bid to regain their footing and halt a slide in the polls, bringing in globetrotting Australian campaign doctor Lynton Crosby.

Crosby is known as the Wizard from Oz, and is considered one of the worlds top political strategists. He helped David Cameron retain the prime ministers office in Britain, and just last month engineered victory in Sri Lankas election.

The Conservatives have looked abroad for ideas in the past, but this is the first time theyve brought in a fixer from overseas in mid-campaign.

Crosby will take over framing the campaign message, which is typically a Harper strong suit, but has been a problem in this election.

Hes coming in to back up Jenni Byrne, the Conservatives national campaign director, who was the subject of anonymous grumbling earlier this week. Ray Novak, Harpers chief of staff, has been put in charge of staffing for the campaign, and the war room may bring in some additional fresh blood and reinforcements for the remaining 39 days.

Macleans spoke to two Conservatives about Byrne, who complained that shes kept smart, experienced people out of the partys war room, while relying on a tight circle of friends, notably spokesman Kory Teneycke, party operative Lynette Corbett, who is Byrnes best friend, and Novak, with who Byrne has worked for 15 years.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/for-campaign-magic-harper-turns-to-a-wizard-from-oz/

Crosby's "Wedge politics" used to secure UK's David Cameron the PM job

In Australia, Crosby and his longtime business partner and collaborator Mark Textor also honed their electoral technique of wedge politics: finding an issue that can be exploited to split off an opponents traditional supporters. With typical shrewdness and ruthlessness, Crosby identified the surge of Scottish nationalism in recent years as a wedge that could be used against Labour, both in Scotland and in England.

Yet in this general election perhaps Crosbys cleverest trick of all was to make it look as if the Tory campaign wasnt working. From February onwards, as the polls seemed to show Labour and the Conservatives deadlocked, Tory commentators and senior party figures including Theresa May and Michael Gove began complaining in coded language about the campaign that Crosby was masterminding. In the Times in March, one of David Camerons biographers, Francis Elliott, wrote that even the prime minister privately shared the frustration of some Conservatives at their campaigns narrow focus.

Were such frustrations entirely genuine or, given the total control Crosby insists on over his clients public utterances confected as a diversion? Only historians may eventually find out for certain. But either way, while many of the Conservatives opponents and many journalists and voters were assuming that the Tory campaign was drifting or stalling, Crosbys well-funded infantry were quietly, busily seizing the marginals. Another of his favourite electioneering phrases is below the radar.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/08/lynton-crosby-wedge-politics-general-election-tories

Sound familiar? This is exactly how the BC Libs won the last election.

And in the meantime, supporting businesses get regulations laxed.

Conservative election guru Lynton Crosby lobbied minister over tobacco

Crosby's London-based lobbying firm, Crosby Textor Fullbrook (CTF), was hired by Philip Morris International (PMI) in the autumn of 2012 because the owner of the Marlboro brand sought to derail plans to sell cigarettes in unbranded cartons, a move health campaigners claim will save lives by making smoking less appealing. Soon after winning the account Crosby made the case against plain packaging to Lord Marland, then parliamentary undersecretary for intellectual property and a former Conservative party treasurer.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/06/lynton-crosby-lobbied-for-tobacco-giant-philip-morris

Leave it to Harper to attempt to steal the election pretty much. As if re-bordering and creating critical ridings wasn't enough. Frack me.

Edit:

Yes, he's yet another xenophobe.

Z4simXV.jpg

xwtHJ6W.png

:picard:

Harper ships over Aussie "master of the dark political arts," to straighten campaign.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/for-campaign-magic-harper-turns-to-a-wizard-from-oz/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/08/lynton-crosby-wedge-politics-general-election-tories

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/06/lynton-crosby-lobbied-for-tobacco-giant-philip-morris

Leave it to Harper to attempt to steal the election pretty much. As if re-bordering and creating critical ridings wasn't enough. Frack me.

I hope Canadians won't be fooled by what is to come...

Edit:

Yes, he's yet another xenophobe.

Z4simXV.jpg

xwtHJ6W.png

:picard:

How is one racist against Muslims?

I've never heard of racism against Christians before either.

Probably because it's a religion and the people that practice it.. and calling anything racism, to liberals, is a way to try and prevent criticism of things they don't want criticized. That strategy is backfiring though. :lol:

The same as if either other party wins, nothing. None of these guys has 'Trump Sized Balls' to change politics so it is status quo. I will do this,this and this and then never deliver.

You can see how these people on CDC handle those who would actually change things.. Trump, Paul.. look at the disdain and contempt they have. It's smugness disguised as wanting change.

Probably because it's a religion and the people that practice it.. and calling anything racism, to liberals, is a way to try and prevent criticism of things they don't want criticized. That strategy is backfiring though. :lol:

I'm just wondering how much more xenophobic Harper's party can possibly get?

Is Lynton Crosby coming over just to say, "G'day mate! No that's not quite enough racism and hate! Struth! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie and get... Oi! I'ma talking to you... Ya pasty-faced bastad... Crickey! Naaow, let's to get this ahtfight right ramped up to Aussie government-levels of bigotry and feeaah. F'n Muslims... F'n ISIS... We bury those types in the outback. Fair dinkum. So stick that message in your didgeridoo and smoke it, Stevie mate! Now where's my moola?"

Oh snap, I'm making broad generalizations of him based on where he's from.

Sadly the exact same way to a far lesser extent that one who criticizes Israel is somehow anti semetic.

Try to blow everything so ridiculously out of proportion that outrage is the only possible outcome.

That being said, this Crosby guy is a frigging joke.

Mr. Ambien's rants no longer makes any sense. And he disguises his frustration and his inability to make sense with a :lol: at the end. It's like telling a joke that only he can understand.

You can see how these people on CDC handle those who would actually change things.. Trump, Paul.. look at the disdain and contempt they have. It's smugness disguised as wanting change.

It's all well and good to want change, but the contempt comes from the kind of change that these two crackpots support. One guy thinks that Mexicans are the biggest problem America faces and the other guy supported himself by racist writing newsletters: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ron-paul-signed-off-on-racist-newsletters-sources-say/2012/01/20/gIQAvblFVQ_story.html

The articles included racial, anti-Semitic and anti-gay content. They claimed, for example, that the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. “seduced underage girls and boys’’; they ridiculed black activists by suggesting that New York be named “Zooville” or “Lazyopolis”; and they said the 1992 Los Angeles riots ended “when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks.’’ The June 1990 edition of the Ron Paul Political Report included the statement: “Homosexuals, not to speak of the rest of society, were far better off when social pressure forced them to hide their activities.”

Keep it up and he'll just block you too, eventually he'll have no one to 'discuss' with which is I think how he wants it anyway...

LOL!

As per Lockout Casualty, and my own observation, he has already blocked me.

The important thing of course is that we get to shutdown his non-sense before he poisons the rest of CDC.

It's all well and good to want change, but the contempt comes from the kind of change that these two crackpots support. One guy thinks that Mexicans are the biggest problem America faces and the other guy supported himself by racist writing newsletters: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ron-paul-signed-off-on-racist-newsletters-sources-say/2012/01/20/gIQAvblFVQ_story.html

Couldn't agree more.

And Bernie Sanders is pretty far left (relatively speaking). Are we mocking him?

Ron Paul's publication was not written by him, it was simply something done in his name. He's probably "disavowed" them (in his own words) over the last 20 years some million times, to deaf ears.

The Republican establishment and liberal media made sure to keep this an issue because this is how people handle politics of change -- the old Rovian "McCain is teh ghai"/"is teh polygumist" tactic.

Anyone who actually still considers this an issue is likely no different than the conspiracy nut birthers.

Ron Paul's publication was not written by him, it was simply something done in his name. He's probably "disavowed" them (in his own words) over the last 20 years some million times, to deaf ears.

The Republican establishment and liberal media made sure to keep this an issue because this is how people handle politics of change -- the old Rovian "McCain is teh ghai"/"is teh polygumist" tactic.

Anyone who actually still considers this an issue is likely no different than the conspiracy nut birthers.

Like The Donald.

Archived