The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL players who have a case to be better than Gretzky

VanNuck

With 61 unattainable records, unparalleled talent, and matchless charisma, Gretzky is considered not only the greatest hockey player in the history of the league – but the greatest athlete of any sport. Respected and admired not only by teammates and fans, but even opposing players, he is an enduring icon larger than the game itself.

However, I would again state the argument that there are some NHL players who could make a similar case to be better than Gretzky.

Mario Lemieux

He is often considered the second-greatest player after Gretzky, but he could rightfully build a case to be better.

First, Lemieux was arguably more talented than Gretzky. He could match his vision, anticipation, intelligence, and playmaking ability – but he was also bigger, faster, and possessed a harder shot.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, Lemieux had to deal with greater obstacles to success. Lemieux never played out a full season due to health and injury problems – ultimately retiring from the game at the height of his career (although he did make a comeback some six seasons later). Had he been healthy, his on-ice achievements would have been much greater; his early 90s Penguins probably would have been a Cup-winning dynasty and he might have personally challenged most of Gretzky’s records.

Lemieux had also been forced to carry the burden of a poorly managed Penguins franchise that struggled to remain financially afloat, often being forced to default on payments to their players. Despite threats of the initially also-ran franchise folding or being relocated, Lemieux opted to remain in Pittsburgh, later purchasing the Penguins outright, thus helping keep the franchise alive.

In spite of his burdens, Lemieux nonetheless managed to win two Stanley Cups, and achieved a number of records of his own. His supporters could rightfully promote him as more of a champion over adversity than Gretzky.

Bobby Orr

Until Gretzky came along, Bobby Orr was heralded as the greatest player in the game, and even today, supporters none less than Don Cherry herald him as in a league of his own.

The original offensive defenseman, Orr was perhaps the fastest skater of all time – but even when he couldn’t skate, he still made things happen with his vision, positioning, and puck work. Orr’s ppg placed third, behind only Lemieux and Gretzky – but his defensive play and physicality more than made up for his third-place finish.

He was the centrepiece of a Boston Bruins team that regularly played in the shadows of the powerhouse Montreal Canadiens, yet managed to win two Stanley Cups. Sadly, things weren’t meant to last for Orr, who was forced to retire at age 31 due to knee injuries. Even today, fans speculate how much greater his achievements could have been had he only been healthier longer.

Steve Yzerman

Frequently considered one of the greatest two-way players and leaders in the game, Yzerman was the centrepiece of the powerhouse Detroit Red Wings team that regularly challenged for the Stanley Cup throughout the 90s. While his defensive play more than make up for his sixth-place finish for all-time scoring, one could possibly speculate that his scoring stats could have been higher, perhaps had Jari Kurri been playing on his wing.

Jari or none, Yzerman managed to lead his Red Wings to three Stanley Cups in perhaps the NHL’s most star-studded era. Yzerman often had to compete against the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, Patrick Roy, Raymond Bourque, just to name a few. Winning was tough in this era, repeat championships were tougher – although Yzerman’s Wings managed to do that in 1996 and 97.

Mark Messier

Being a Canuck fan, this is certainly not an easy inclusion. But love him or hate him, you cannot deny that Messier has a strong case to be better than Gretzky: six Stanley Cup rings. For more rings, the next step up would be just a few members of the Montreal Canadiens dynasties like Maurice Richard or Jean Beliveau, or Red Kelly of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings dynasties.

His strong personality and indomitable competitive spirit helped earn him the reputation as the game’s greatest leader – everyone knew he meant business and he would not be stopped until someone was killed. This was especially evident after he’d become the first guy to captain two different franchises to Stanley Cup victories. For the stats book, he’s finished second in scoring only to Gretzky, but his physical play, two-way gamesmanship, and fearsome reputation more than make up for this.

Patrick Roy

Definitely the most controversial name on the list, Patrick Roy nonetheless was more than the game’s greatest goaltender, he was also the greatest clutch player in the game. Unlike Gretzky or even anyone else on this list, Roy never once missed the playoffs, and he was always at his best in the post-season. Four times he would hoist the Stanley Cup, three times winning the Conn Smythe (an NHL record).

More than his technical skill with the butterfly, Roy was one of the fiercest competitors in the game. His determination and willpower consistently kept his teams in the game and gave his teammates an extra gear to perform. Oftentimes, one goal would be enough for his teams to win, because he was not going to surrender anything to the opponents.

Undoubtedly, his 1993 Cup victory stands as his greatest achievement. His Canadiens were not expected to go far into the playoffs, yet he managed to backstop them to an unexpected Stanley Cup against opponents like Sakic, Turgeon, and ultimately Gretzky himself.

Gordie Howe

As Gretzky’s own personal hero, number 99 would probably agree with this one. Arguably the most well-rounded player to don a pair of skates, Howe was capable of anything from scoring to fighting and backchecking. He placed third all time for scoring, but he played the majority of his career during a tight-checking, low scoring era, notching his career high 103 points at age 41, when the league began shifting more towards offense.

Howe was the star of the original Red Wings dynasty that regularly competed with the Canadiens for Stanley Cup dominance in the 1950s. They won four cups in the span of six seasons, similar to Gretzky’s Oilers, but upper management, determined to thwart a player’s union, traded away many players challenging to bust the owners’ control.

Red Kelly

“Red who?” Kelly is one of the most underrated players of all time, but he holds a strong case: eight Stanley Cups. Four cups with two dynasties, each.

Kelly was, together with Montreal’s Doug Harvey, the premiere defenseman of the 1950s. He regularly posted double-digit figures for goals and assists, impressive numbers for a defenseman – especially in the tight-checking 50s. Yet, at the same time, he was even stronger defensively, holding strong opponents at bay, particularly the Richard and Beliveau Canadiens.

In 1960, however, he would be traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, where he would be converted to forward to better challenge Jean Beliveau. Ever the great-two way player, Kelly shut down Beliveau – and everyone else for that matter – while posting even more impressive offensive numbers. During his time in Toronto, the Maple Leafs would win four Cups to Montreal’s three.

His success stemmed from his Lidstrom-esque intelligence and vision, combined with superb skating and stickhandling ability, allowing him control over the game. His team more often than not would have the puck, and they’d score.

In spite of his success, Kelly has often been overlooked in talking about the all-time greats. Nonetheless, his achievements, especially being the only member of two different multi-Cup winning franchises, should earn him consideration to challenge Gretzky.

So again, I made another list of players who could challenge number 99. We’ve heard about lots of challengers from time to time, but few have managed to dethrone Gretz. Nonetheless, the debate is open, who deserves to challenge number 99 or go home?

Awesome read, man!

Frankly, I think only Orr and Lemieux can even be mentioned in the same breath as Gretzky, but some of those others also had incredible careers. It's worth noting that Kelly has the most cups of any player that never wore a Canadiens jersey.

The only other one I'd maybe consider is Maurice Richard, but even he isn't at Gretzky's level.

rocket Richard is up there imo

roy vs broduer is very close again

wayne>mario>bobby>mark>steve imo

crosby might of been the goat if not for his injuries but thats life and lots of great players got injuries problems.

mcdavid idk what to think overhyped and overrated or just will not cut it in the nhl. The future will tell

jonathan bernier

Nope. Linden Vey.

Seriously though, people often forget about Niklas Lidstrom. I would put him on par with Yzerman, Roy, Kelly, and maybe even Messier. Too bad Orr's career was cut short with injury. Would've been interesting to see what he could've done over an entire career.

Lemieux or Orr. Mario would've beat Gretzky's 215 point record if not for his Cancer battle. Bobby Orr put up 100+ points as a defenseman, and also played amazing defensively. He would've done even better if not for his knee.

Messier was a great player in his own right, but his stats are padded. He played on the Oilers of the 80's, and also has the second most Games played in history only behind Gordie Howe. He was good(even though I hate his guts), but I wouldn't put him in the same breath as Gretzky,

Seriously though, people often forget about Niklas Lidstrom.

I've called Lidstrom the Gretzky of defenseman because he was just that - he used his brains and vision to make everything happen. One way or another, he takes the puck from his opponents, gives it to his teammates or scores.

Messier was a great player in his own right, but his stats are padded. He played on the Oilers of the 80's, and also has the second most Games played in history only behind Gordie Howe. He was good(even though I hate his guts), but I wouldn't put him in the same breath as Gretzky,

All Canuck fans hate Messier's guts. I hated listing him, but I couldn't argue he didn't have a case. He was second in scoring, but also a physical two-way force, and won more Cups than Gretz. Btw, Gretz's stats were equally padded as Mess'.

99 is undisputed best player ever mario was injury prone and barely played 10 yrs at waynes point clicks where he did it for almost 20 yrs. orr is by far best dman ever. rest on list had great careers and numbers but no where on waynes level. jagr is probably the best forward in league since 99 guys unreal hed be past messier if he hadnt played 4 yrs in europe and might end up number 2 by the time he retires.

meh, Mario is the better player imo.

He put up big points early in his career on not so good Penguins teams, if Mario played on the powerhouse Oilers as long as Wayne did he would have more points

Mario's Penguins, I can assure you, would have been the dynasty of the 90s if he were healthy.

wayne imo is the best player offensively

orr best all around

i think some of the people not saying he is the goat is because he played for the oilers and kings majority of his career. If he was on a eastern canadian hockey team + an american team in the east people on this forum would be calling this thread insane for existing.

1. Lemieux

2. Howe

3. Orr

4. Gretzky

:mellow::mellow::blink::blink::picard::picard::picard::picard:

my facial expression reading that ^

I don't like could of, maybe, would of, ect...

at the end of the day they didn't but they are still great players. wayne gretzky is the only player to be that good for that long and putting up over 200 point is just un heard of and is quite amazing.

basing their careers on achivements and cups. gretzky>>>> everyone else

not bashing other players they are great but gretzky atm goat hockey player

howe is a interesting name though. I never saw him play but many people forget him while talking goat player.

Archived