The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Announce New AGM

tybarber

As per the Canucks website:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=776306

Welcome a Mr. John Wisbrod as Assistant General Manager. Various other hockey ops roles were also announced.

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations, Trevor Linden named John Weisbrod Assistant General Manager today in addition to a number of new and enhanced roles to the Hockey Operations and Human Performance staff.

Weisbrod first joined the Canucks as Vice President, Player Personnel on July 7, 2014. As Assistant General Manager, he will work closely with Jim Benning and Trevor Linden on player personnel decisions, provide strategic direction to the professional and amateur scouting departments and support day-to-day team operations.

The Bern, Switzerland native has appeared in 69 regular season NHL games split between Vancouver and Calgary collecting 30 points (10-20-30) and 26 penalty minutes.

Weisbrod served three years as Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel with the Calgary Flames. He was Director of Professional and Collegiate Scouting for the Boston Bruins from 2006 to 2011 and served as a Pro Scout for the Dallas Stars during the 2005-06 season.

A Harvard graduate, Weisbrod was General Manager and Director of Operations for the Albany River Rats winning the Calder Cup in 1993 and 1995. He also served as General Manager of the IHL’s Orlando Solar Bears where he guided the team to a Turner Cup Championship in 2001. Weisbrod was named President and Chief Operating Officer of RDV Sports (Orlando Magic & Solar Bears) in 2000 and became General Manager of the Magic in 2004.

The Hockey Operations department also named Chris Gear Vice President and General Counsel, Vancouver Canucks and Canucks Sports & Entertainment (CS&E). Judd Brackett was named Director of Amateur Scouting, Ryan Johnson was named Assistant Director Player Development and Mike Addesa joins the club as an Amateur Scout. The Human Performance department named Rick Celebrini Director, Rehabilitation and Jon Sanderson as Head Athletic Therapist.

Chris Gear assumes an additional role at CS&E, joining the Hockey Operations team with five years’ experience as Vice President & Legal Counsel. He will work closely with Jonathan Wall, Director of Hockey Administration on the legal application of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, salary cap management, player transactions and contracts.

Judd Bracket served seven years as an Amateur Scout in the Canucks organization prior to being named Director of Amateur Scouting. Brackett will oversee the Amateur Scouting staff, leading the department and supporting the player evaluations of regional scouts. Brackett will report to John Weisbrod in his new role.

Ryan Johnson takes on an expanded role as Assistant Director Player Development after two seasons as Player Development Consultant. Johnson played 120 games in a Canucks uniform and 701 career NHL games. He will continue to work with prospects and AHL players in Utica, supporting Head Coach Travis Green and liaise with General Manager, Jim Benning and John Weisbrod on Comets hockey operations.

Mike Addesa joins the Canucks as an amateur scout with prior experience as a NHL Scout, NCAA Head Coach and Atlantic Junior Hockey League franchise owner. As Head Coach at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Addesa guided the 1984-85 team to a NCAA Championship. Addesa will report to Stan Smyl, Senior Advisor to the General Manager & Director, Player Development. Addesa will support amateur scouting in the Quebec region.

Rick Celebrini was recently named Director, Rehabilitation within the club’s Human Performance department after serving as a consultant during the 2014.15 season. Celebrini will lead the Human Performance team and oversee injury prevention and rehabilitation protocols. Celebrini is a founder and the Director of Sport Medicine and Science for the Fortius Institute, and Head of Sports Medicine and Science for the Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

Jon Sanderson was named Head Athletic Therapist of the Human Performance department, bringing 16 seasons and over 1,000 NHL games of experience to the role. Sanderson previously worked for the B.C. Lions of the Canadian Football League and served as a member of the Team Canada medical staff at the Winter Olympic Games in 2006.

Looks a lot like consolidating roles to save some money...

I would be grateful if someone who knows more than me could explain what this announcement means. Has the scouting system been shaken up or not? (Or course the formal structure does not really matter. Benning is the de facto chief scout and, although I remain unconvinced about his overall performance, I admit that he seems to be good at evaluating young players. Boesser is looking good.)

It's a shame. They should have given me the job.

Seriously... (flame away though)

Did you apply? Can't win the lottery if you don't play, Can't get the job if you don't make an application.

On topic though I love DW as a hockey mind. Glad he got promoted to AGM, I'm all for him having more say in rebuilding this team.

Archived