The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat will start as 2C / Sutter as 3C

Nucks-4-Life

Tired of seeing these lineup proposals with Sutter as the 2C.

It's just not going to happen.

We brought him in to free up Horvat for offensive zone draws.

Horvat was on pace for 30 points last season. 30 points in his first year. Sutter's ceiling is 30-40 points at maximum.

Sutter will excel in a shutdown/defensive role for us, taking key defensive draws to free up Horvat and Henrik for the offensive zone.

This is the lineup as I see it:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Kenins/Grenier

Thoughts?

Horvat was on pace for 30 points last season. 30 points in his first year. Sutter's ceiling is 30-40 points at maximum.

Sutter will excel in a shutdown/defensive role for us, taking key defensive draws to free up Horvat and Henrik for the offensive zone.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Kenins/Grenier

Thoughts?

Could be or sutter could be on the second?

The way I see it is that there is a good chance we may spread the icetime out through the top three lines somewhat evenly.

I think our second and third lines will get similar ice time. So, it doesn't really matter other than which players they will be playing with. If Sutter is on the "second line" with Baertschi and Vrbata, it is a possibility that he could score 25-30 goals next season. It also takes pressure off Bo Horvat, who was playing on the fourth line last year. From the fourth line to the second line is a big jump. Starting on the third line makes sense for Horvat.

Can be tired all you like but it's unlikely the Canucks do a complete 180. Last season he was hidden and no reason to think it was to blast him into the top 6 all of a sudden.

Here's our likely forward lineup to begin the year.

*Note* These are not my ideal lines, but what I predict from WD.

Sedins Burr

Higgins,Sutter,Vrbata

Prust,Vey,Hansen

Sven/Kennins,BoHo,Dorsett

Looks like a pretty good lineup to me but I think it depends on who they have better chemistry with. I think Sutter starts at 2C but if he doesn't have good chemistry with Baer and Vrbata and Horvat does then WD would switch them (hopefully). Either way both lines will get similar ice time so it's not too big of a deal.

Can be tired all you like but it's unlikely the Canucks do a complete 180. Last season he was hidden and no reason to think it was to blast him into the top 6 all of a sudden.

Here's our likely forward lineup to begin the year.

*Note* These are not my ideal lines, but what I predict from WD.

Sedins Burr

Higgins,Sutter,Vrbata

Prust,Vey,Hansen

Sven/Kennins,BoHo,Dorsett

I don't think so, Bo will play above vey and I bet Sven in in the top nine.

willy has stated that lines mean nothing ...if a line is playing good, it will play more...willie's job is to find 4 lines that can compliment each other....horvat with vrbata makes more sense than sutter with vrbata....but who knows who will gel with who?...not me.

willy has stated that lines mean nothing ...if a line is playing good, it will play more...willie's job is to find 4 lines that can compliment each other....horvat with vrbata makes more sense than sutter with vrbata....but who knows who will gel with who?...not me.

Willie talking a little hot air.... You can't tell me that burr isn't getting more ice time playing with the twins then he would playing with vey? I see what he's trying to say but when push comes to shove your top players are on the top lines and get played more.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Kenins/Grenier

Thoughts?

If Sutter ends up getting 4.4M per year, then he's certainly getting paid like a 2C.

IMO Sutter starts as 2C, with Horvat earning more ice time as the season progresses.

I agree with Pineapples. I think Sutter starts at 2C but we see the OP's lineup by the halfway point in the season (aside from injury).

Wonder what is going on with the Sutter contract though. The 4.4 cap hit was leaked shortly after the trade but no announcement has been made. Maybe Benning should have waited until AFTER signing a contract before calling Sutter a foundational player. Maybe Sutter's agent has decided to hold out for more. Let's hope Benning doesn't cave.

one thing we've learned about willie, is that he wants one or two strong defensive players on each line...that is why he had higgins on the second line...sutter, horvat, prust, burrows, hansen, higgins and dorsett play strong defensive hockey....

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Kenins/Grenier

Thoughts?

did benning say this?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Kenins/Grenier

Thoughts?

Need more sandpaper on the 2nd line.

Willie talking a little hot air.... You can't tell me that burr isn't getting more ice time playing with the twins then he would playing with vey? I see what he's trying to say but when push comes to shove your top players are on the top lines and get played more.

there were times last year when horvat's line played more than any other line.....

Archived