The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brandon Sutter

Canucks sign Brandon Sutter to 5-year contract extension; average annual value of $4.375M:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Brandon Sutter to a 5-year contract extension at an average annual value of 4.375M through end of the 2020.21 NHL season.

Sutter, 26, recorded 33 points (21-12-33) and 14 penalty minutes in 80 games with Pittsburgh during the 2014.15 season. His 21 goals tied a single season career-high and was the sixth consecutive season he has recorded 10 or more goals. Sutter also finished with a team-leading 50.6 percent faceoff efficiency and tied for second in the League with four shorthanded goals. In 495 career NHL games, Sutter has scored 98 goals, 87 assists (98-87-185) and 94 penalty minutes with Pittsburgh and Carolina. He has also recorded 12 points (8-4-12) in 33 playoff games with the Penguins.

The 6’3”, 190-pound centre was born in Huntington, New York and has represented Canada on the international stage on three occasions. He helped Canada capture gold at the 2008 World Junior Championship.

Originally drafted by Carolina 11th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Sutter was traded to Pittsburgh in 2012. He was acquired along with a 2016 third-round pick in exchange for Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a 2016 second-round pick on July 28, 2015.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=776307&hootPostID=a24de15228ac2bcdc0439912943b3ae5

46.7% face off percentage last year, 26th in the NHL were the Canucks. And missing a good right handed draw. The Canucks are now better. This might be the most important component of this deal.

Speed and size in the middle as a match up centre. Offering Bo Horvat & Jared McCann time & spce to develop, Henrik the opportunity to gear down without pressure. The Canucks are better.

The guy can still shoot, like his outgoing counterpart. But did I mention he could skate? We can now play with pace & still score. The Canucks are better.

Bit expensive, but 4 years from now this deal will look good. I am happy with this activity.

K Mr Benning? I am giving you credit for what you are doing well. I'll look past some of the other questionable decisions for now.

Now its time to improve the fracking D!!! NOW!

Bartkowski, with 0 career NHL goals and under 200 lbs is a piss poor example of how to build a defence that can attack or strike fear in opposing forwards hearts...

Archived