The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sutter! But oh ma God what number will he wear?

Ursel23

I think the real question should be is he worth the money?

Pretty much in line with contracts for Miller, Dorset and Sbisa.

It is a lot of money for a guy who has had a pretty consistent PPG of about 0.4 -- below the scoring rate of about 0.5 you need for a legitimate 2C.

He will probably start at 2C but shift to 3C when Horvat is ready -- which I think will be sooner rather than later.

He is good on the PK, can play shutdown, and provide secondary scoring. And he is a hard worker who has the right character. Guys like that are getting in the neighborhood of $4 million. But once again this number is at the high end of the reasonable range, as it was for Miller, Sbisa, and Dorsett.

But I don't suppose it really matters much. What the Canucks really need is more good young players. Let's hope some of the prospects in the system make rapid progress, and it would be nice to add some high quality prospects from the draft in 2016.

Even with Sutter, who I agree is a slight upgrade on Bonino even though he scores less, the Canucks are still not likely to make the playoffs so they may be in a position to trade Vrby and Hammer for what I hope are first round picks at the deadline. And other players might bring in lower picks (Higgins, Bartkowski, Prust).

Now we have two centres who are on the positive side in the faceoff circle. I think this is a key signing. I really don't care about the size of the contract, Sutter is in his prime and will get a chance to play 2nd line centre in Vancouver.....besides the cap dollars are Benning's job to handle. So far the defense has become grittier and now we are solid down the middle.

Archived