The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reports Patrick Kane is under police investigation.

If it was a false accusation, why can't there a charge of mischief, obstruction, or something on the woman?    

They aren't saying it was a false accusation. They are saying that there is no evidence to support the accusations. Big diff.

I have to wonder if it was an act of desperation by a mother who KNEW there wasn't enough evidence and was trying to ensure her daughter saw justice or just a complete fabrication and actions in support of that.  I somehow believe the truth is somewhere in the middle

The only reason I can think of for perpetuating the hoax would be that she knew the results of the rape kit and since they didn't jibe with what she wanted them to say she did whatever she could to cast doubt on the evidence and the handling of the evidence. Since the results basically exonerated Kane she wanted the powers that be to doubt the integrity of the investigation. Desperate, yes. Criminal? Strangely, no. Ah Amerikkka.

I wouldn't call it a victory. Getting put through all of this and then finally being absolved of it is hardly a winning scenario, more of an end to the trouble. Either way, he's still going to carry the stigma around with him for the rest of his life.

I wish their were repercussions for falsely accusing someone of this. Not only does it scar the falsely accused, but it trivializes actual rape victims and what they had to endure. The problem with that though is the same as trying to prosecute rape, at the end of the day its extremely difficult to prove what actually happened, whether it was consensual, etc etc.

Again there is no evidence to support the notion of a deliberate false accusation (at least not yet) but you are right in that it does legitimate rape victims no good at all for this particular case to have unfolded in the way that it did. Kane will go though life with all of his haters calling him a rapist forever while the accuser gets to remain anonymous and carry on with her life as if nothing happened. She could accuse somebody else of rape again in the future and nobody (other than, perhaps certain authorities) would be the wiser.

You can sugar coat Kane all you like, truth is where there is smoke there is fire!

How did I sugar coat Kane?  I said that just we shouldn't think Kane is guilty of rape just because of his past (which he has no history of sexual assault).  

Is Kane a saint?  Of course not, nobody believes that.  Did something happen that night?  I would guess that something happened, but the evidence doesn't point to Kane doing anything against the law.

Take a list of the below interview with the DA.  I've been trying to remain neutral but his comments definitely lean towards Kane not being guilty of these specific charges.  

Note: I did not find these links, they were posted on another message board.

Part I http://www.wgrz.com/video...ocal/2015/11/05/75224352/

Part II http://www.wgrz.com/media...-sedita-interview-part-2/

Part III http://www.wgrz.com/media...-sedita-interview-part-3/

Who says the DA knows anything about a payoff? That can come from many, many other sources that know one, including the law will ever know about.

For someone who seems to have a lot to say about this case, you don't seem to read much of the details. Her statement specifically mentions that she received no money or compensation of any kind.

I bet with evidence mounting that the accusations were made up, Kane's lawyers were threatening her with a lawsuit if she did not withdraw with such a statement.

For someone who seems to have a lot to say about this case, you don't seem to read much of the details. Her statement specifically mentions that she received no money or compensation of any kind.

I bet with evidence mounting that the accusations were made up, Kane's lawyers were threatening her with a lawsuit if she did not withdraw with such a statement.

There was an interview with Kane's lawyer and he states something to the effect that they are considering their next steps.  I highly doubt Kane takes any action against the accuser.  The smart move would be to get his name out of the spotlight and focus on hockey. 

In the interview (which is fascinating and probably the last and most definitive word on this event) the DA mentions that forensic cellphone evidence uncovered text messages from the accuser 's camp to Kane's camp concerning money ("there were certain offers made by the people associated with the complainant"). He also states that the entire investigating team was in agreement that her story didn't add up. What's more he also states that he decided not to pursue false accusation charges against her primarily because Kane hadn't been charged with anything yet and he didn't want to do anything that might discourage future victims from reporting sexual assaults. In short he comes up just a hair short of calling her a liar. His one criticism of Kane is that Kane wouldn't talk to him (as is his legal right and which was almost certainly advice from his attorney) which made it a bit more difficult to come to his conclusions. When asked if this outcome exonerates Kane he hedges just a bit (based mainly on Kane's "non cooperation") but says "the evidence is more consistent with his innocence than with his guilt". An extraordinary interview and, a must see for all the Kane haters here (not that any of them would spend a half hour watching it; their minds are already made up).

I wouldn't call it a victory. Getting put through all of this and then finally being absolved of it is hardly a winning scenario, more of an end to the trouble. Either way, he's still going to carry the stigma around with him for the rest of his life.

I wish their were repercussions for falsely accusing someone of this. Not only does it scar the falsely accused, but it trivializes actual rape victims and what they had to endure. The problem with that though is the same as trying to prosecute rape, at the end of the day its extremely difficult to prove what actually happened, whether it was consensual, etc etc.

The problem is that as hard as it is to prove that rape occurred, it's also hard to prove that it didn't occur which makes it difficult to tell if the alleged victim actually intended to make a false accusation or not.  You would need a lot of proof to say that she is lying for sure, and you have to be careful with that as prosecuting every rape victim that couldn't necessarily 100% prove their allegations is obviously problematic for encouraging victims to come forward.

Basically Kane doesn't win. He already had a bit of a shaky reputation, even absolved of this still taints him. 

Maybe he should just stay under the radar for a while. Maybe donate to charity or something. 

Guilty or not, he's gonna have a hard time getting a date anytime soon.

http://sportsmockery.com/2015/11/tim-graham-permanently-damaged-patrick-kanes-reputation-with-lies/

Wow, Julie DiCaro and Tim Graham; yellow journalism at its very finest.

Wow...

What a scumbag... wish there was a way for him to be charged for that. He was intentionally trying to ruin Kane's reputation. Also shouldn't be allowed to report anymore.

The world would be a much better place if the media wasn't allowed to spew lies without repercussions. 

Archived