The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Building a PC [Help]

Kaner

Hey all!

I've recently began to look into building a PC. Im looking for some help, and maybe an example build. I want it to be an all rounded PC that can run GTA V on 1080P 60fps. It will be used for Netlfix, browsing the web, CDC, and Microsoft word.

If someone who has any past or current experince in this, and would be willing to give me suggestions/example build, that would be awesome!

With the operating system, keyboard, and mouse, I'd like it to be less than $900 if that is possible.

Thanks! It's gretly appreciated!

You should use ca.pcpartpicker.com (make sure to use the ca.). You can pick and choose different parts and there are lots of builds on there you can check out. You can also make a post on the forums and ask for advice, there's lots of knowledgeable people on there.

I just built a PC with the same sort of goal as yourself. My PC runs GTA V on 60 FPS almost the whole time. You're going to need at least 8GB of RAM to run GTA V nicely. For video cards, I have the GTX 970, but you might be able to get by with a slightly cheaper one. The GTX 970 will set you back like $450 - $500, so it is a doozy.

I have an i7 processor, but from what I've heard, processing speed won't be the big deal. A good i5 will probably do. An SSD might be nice, but if you're cutting costs, maybe don't get one. A really small one (64 GB or 128GB) might still be worth your while, depending on your budget just to put your OS and maybe just GTA V on.

You will probably want a decent after-market cooler, but don't worry about getting a crazy one. I have a standard $30-40 fan and it's done the job thus far.

I should say, I agree with NightHawkSniper in that you'll likely set yourself back a good chunk over $1000 if you want to run GTA V at 60 fps.

Here's my build (built in June of this year):

- Case - ATX Mid-tower case

A mid-tower will do the job for what you're probably looking for. Don't worry about full towers.

- Motherboard - MSi X99S

Probably overkill here. Spent about $300. Look for a cheaper one, but just make sure it matches your processor.

- Processor - i7 LGA 2011... don't remember the rest of the details, but this one costs a pretty penny as well. Went to about $500. I'd advise getting a cheaper one.

- Power Supply - Corsair CX750M - The more wattage, the better. You might be able to get by with a 650 watt PSU as well.

- Storage - 2TB Hard Drive, 250 GB SSD - The SSD is very nice, but one this big is more of a luxury. Definitely get at least 1TB of hard drive; 2TB isn't a bad upgrade.

- Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970. This is almost top of the line (the 980 is the top). To run GTA V on high graphics at 60 fps, you'd need something like this, but if you're okay with medium graphics, maybe try a cheaper alternative.

- After-Market Fan - Cooler Master... something. I don't remember the exact name, but it's only $30-40.

My build was very expensive; about $2000 and was more than I planned for. Expect some unexpected expenses when buying your parts.

I bought most of my parts from NewEgg and NCIX, but some other sites are fine too. Just be wary of used parts. If you have a nearby computer shop, check them out too; you might be able to save on some shipping costs.

If you have any more questions, let me know! I went through this whole process a few months ago, so I know how it can feel.

Goddammit... Had a full post set up and then I accidentally closed the tab.....

I'll flesh out the details tomorrow, but long story short I got to around $1000 after taxes. Can I shave off $100? Not sure, but if you buy some parts used then absolutely. But keep in mind, OP. $900 is an extreme budget build if you are going for 60fps on Max settings for GTA V. You will have to be a really smart shopper and jump on individual parts when they go on sale.

Hey all!

I've recently began to look into building a PC. Im looking for some help, and maybe an example build. I want it to be an all rounded PC that can run GTA V on 1080P 60fps. It will be used for Netlfix, browsing the web, CDC, and Microsoft word.

If someone who has any past or current experince in this, and would be willing to give me suggestions/example build, that would be awesome!

With the operating system, keyboard, and mouse, I'd like it to be less than $900 if that is possible.

So you want a upper medium/high end build for $900? You also need a new copy of Windows, and a keyboard, and a mouse? If you need to buy Windows and the peripherals, you aren't going to get a very good computer at all. That would leave you with only about $650-$700 to spend on parts.

If you just need the hardware, you'll have to buy used and eBay isn't always cheaper than places like Newegg.

To put it in car terms, you want a Porsche for the price of a Dodge vehicle.

If you go the used parts route, it's going to take patience and time waiting for the prices that you are looking for.

Hey all!

Unfortunately if you have to buy an OS, gaming keyboard and mouse too within that budget, the chance of you getting a rig that is capable of running GTA 5 at that level is slim to none. OS, keyboard and mouse alone is probably going to run you 200-250. The first rig is the most costly a lot of the time because you have to buy a case, OS, keyboard, mouse, PSU and HDD/SSD etc which generally you dont have to in following builds.

Unfortunately if you have to buy an OS, gaming keyboard and mouse too within that budget, the chance of you getting a rig that is capable of running GTA 5 at that level is slim to none. OS, keyboard and mouse alone is probably going to run you 200-250. The first rig is the most costly a lot of the time because you have to buy a case, OS, keyboard, mouse, PSU and HDD/SSD etc which generally you dont have to in following builds.

You don't need a good mouse or keyboard. You could get them brand new for 10 bucks each or used for 5 bucks each. On that budget getting ghetto peripherals is a MUST.

Don't wanna come off as rude here, but it will be extremely hard to find a build that can run GTA V @ 60fps on 1080p for under $900, if you live in Canada(I assume they're a little more expensive there than in the States). In the USA, you'd be able to do it, but you'd have to spend several months to get the best deals on the parts, which I am pretty sure you don't wanna do.

Hey all!

Youtube is a great resource and there are a lot of good people out there who break down the components and help you make a decision. Do searches for 2015 sub 1000 pc build, or terms along those lines.

Prices are generally in USD because most are american vloggers, so take it for what it is. PC Part Picker (http://ca.pcpartpicker.com) is a great resource because they will have multiple vendors to pull from to ensure the lowest price, but their filtering system will guide you and make it easier to only select parts that are compatible with each other.

Generally speaking, you'll want at minimum Intel Core i3 cpu, or Core i5 if you want a bit more horsepower for CPU, at minimum an nvidia GTX 960 or AMD Radeon R9 270x if you want to play 1080p on medium to high settings. One other recommendation, invest in a good power supply, minimum 80 Plus Gold standard is what I choose to use, for a basic gaming machine anything in the 550 watt to 700 watt range will be sufficient. Err on the side of more power availability in case you want to upgrade down the road.

Beyond that everything else is relatively superfluous, hard drive, ram, case, keyboard, mouse etc don't make as much impact. If you have it in your budget, choose an SSD over mechanical hard drive for your base operating system drive (it really makes a huge difference). 8gb ram should be about the minimum, if going DDR3 for cost effectiveness go with 2133MHz memory it strikes a good balance between price and performance.

As always, research, research research. You can feel free to PM me if you have specific technical questions (I have 20 years experience building and troubleshooting computers).

If you are going for 900 or less it's doable. Just get a basic USB keyboard and mouse. Win 7. Go with an AMD processor and no SSD. 520 watt psu. Don't buy any of that corsair re-branded garbage. Just get a seasonic.

This stuff I just screen shot of ncix with rebates is under 900 Canadian. Should get you pretty close close 60fps on GTA a well.post-122389-0-39151000-1438969868_thumb.

-price check everything at Memory Express, they beat 10% off the difference

-If you don't want to pirate your OS, you can ask anybody you know who's a student, and they can get the OS for around $40 with a student discount

-you're going to want a GTX 970

If you are going for 900 or less it's doable. Just get a basic USB keyboard and mouse. Win 7. Go with an AMD processor and no SSD. 520 watt psu. Don't buy any of that corsair re-branded garbage. Just get a seasonic.

This stuff I just screen shot of ncix with rebates is under 900 Canadian. Should get you pretty close close 60fps on GTA a well.attachicon.gifIMG_20150807_104547.png

This, although you absolutely need a heatsink since the stock cooler is garbage. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo is the undisputed god of cheap heatsinks and is absolutely necessary for AMD builds.

I don't understand why people here are recommending i5 when the OP is clearly on an extreme budget build. AMD CPU is a must. A 8350 is ideal, but an 8320 can do just as well. Do you think a 6300 will be enough...?

This, although you absolutely need a heatsink since the stock cooler is garbage. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo is the undisputed god of cheap heatsinks and is absolutely necessary for AMD builds.

I don't understand why people here are recommending i5 when the OP is clearly on an extreme budget build. AMD CPU is a must. A 8350 is ideal, but an 8320 can do just as well. Do you think a 6300 will be enough...?

Yep. It's really not a bad cpu other than the heat and it's easy to over clock or upgrade an AMD cpu later on.

While AMD is good value, their processors are also more dated (from 2012) and consume more power. GTA V is an intel biased game. As such, I would recommend the intel i5 4460 (http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i5-i5-4460-haswell-48-96203-1012.htm) at $235. No need to get an aftermarket cooler for this CPU, the stock one included will be fine.

Unfortunately due to the crappy Canadian dollar, you will get significantly less than what you would have 2 years ago. A card capable of running GTA V at 1080p 60fps on very high texture quality is a GTX 970 or AMD r9 290 and that is WITHOUT traditional anti-aliasing (MSAA). Both cards go for higher than $400 and this would force you to cripple your system elsewhere. If you care about running it on normal, a GTX 960 ($250) or AMD r9 380 (~ 10-20 bucks higher) should be able to do the trick.

For RAM just go with 8 gb (2x4 gb). No need to gimp here. Get whatever you need for your HDD.

For the case, make sure it supports mounting the power supply on the bottom and has adequate cable management room behind the motherboard tray. Without these features your rig will have worse air flow and will be more of a pain to build in. Since you have a gaming rig, make sure adequate air can enter the case from the front as well. Some good cases include the Cooler Master HAF 912, Corsair Carbide 200r and the Antec One. Higher end options include the NZXT Phantom and Corsair Carbide 300r.

Power supply depends on what parts you have. Get a power supply that is 80+ certified at minimum because they are more efficient and have better quality parts. When you get a case make sure you get additional fans. Your case only comes with 1 or 2. You want at least 4 to cool your computer well.

Motherboard depends on how you want to play it. That CPU needs a motherboard that supports the 1150 socket. If you are interested in SLI or crossfire (running 2 or more graphics cards in tandem) then get a motherboard with a z97 chipset and supports those features. If you are NOT interested in SLI or crossfire then any motherboard with any chipset for the 1150 socket will do.

TBH I recommend focusing on only maxing out this game at normal. If you try to do this at higher settings, you will well go over your budget. The point is this:

A. If you are a graphics enthusiast and cost is an issue right now then go the GTX 960/Radeon 380 route and make sure your motherboard supports SLI/crossfire. Then a year later buy a 2nd card if you are hungry for more performance. If performance really matters that much to you I would recommend expanding your budget to just buy the GTX 970 and get it over with since running multiple cards in tandem doesn't always scale 100% (won't always give you 2x performance of 1 of those cards) and can have issues.

B. If you aren't really one of those "I wanna max out every game I play" people and just want to run games like GTA at nice settings than just get a simple and cheaper motherboard that only allows you to have one graphics card and just slap in a GTX 960/Radeon 280 and sit on it. Then 4 years down the line replace whatever graphics card you have with a newer one when it stops running games at the settings you would like it to. This option is more cheaper and cost-efficient IMO.

While AMD is good value, their processors are also more dated (from 2012) and consume more power. GTA V is an intel biased game. As such, I would recommend the intel i5 4460 (http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i5-i5-4460-haswell-48-96203-1012.htm) at $235. No need to get an aftermarket cooler for this CPU, the stock one included will be fine.

Unfortunately due to the crappy Canadian dollar, you will get significantly less than what you would have 2 years ago. A card capable of running GTA V at 1080p 60fps on very high texture quality is a GTX 970 or AMD r9 290 and that is WITHOUT traditional anti-aliasing (MSAA). Both cards go for higher than $400 and this would force you to cripple your system elsewhere. If you care about running it on normal, a GTX 960 ($250) or AMD r9 380 (~ 10-20 bucks higher) should be able to do the trick.

For RAM just go with 8 gb (2x4 gb). No need to gimp here. Get whatever you need for your HDD.

For the case, make sure it supports mounting the power supply on the bottom and has adequate cable management room behind the motherboard tray. Without these features your rig will have worse air flow and will be more of a pain to build in. Since you have a gaming rig, make sure adequate air can enter the case from the front as well. Some good cases include the Cooler Master HAF 912, Corsair Carbide 200r and the Antec One. Higher end options include the NZXT Phantom and Corsair Carbide 300r.

Power supply depends on what parts you have. Get a power supply that is 80+ certified at minimum because they are more efficient and have better quality parts. When you get a case make sure you get additional fans. Your case only comes with 1 or 2. You want at least 4 to cool your computer well.

Motherboard depends on how you want to play it. That CPU needs a motherboard that supports the 1150 socket. If you are interested in SLI or crossfire (running 2 or more graphics cards in tandem) then get a motherboard with a z97 chipset and supports those features. If you are NOT interested in SLI or crossfire then any motherboard with any chipset for the 1150 socket will do.

TBH I recommend focusing on only maxing out this game at normal. If you try to do this at higher settings, you will well go over your budget. The point is this:

A. If you are a graphics enthusiast and cost is an issue right now then go the GTX 960/Radeon 380 route and make sure your motherboard supports SLI/crossfire. Then a year later buy a 2nd card if you are hungry for more performance. If performance really matters that much to you I would recommend expanding your budget to just buy the GTX 970 and get it over with since running multiple cards in tandem doesn't always scale 100% (won't always give you 2x performance of 1 of those cards) and can have issues.

B. If you aren't really one of those "I wanna max out every game I play" people and just want to run games like GTA at nice settings than just get a simple and cheaper motherboard that only allows you to have one graphics card and just slap in a GTX 960/Radeon 280 and sit on it. Then 4 years down the line replace whatever graphics card you have with a newer one when it stops running games at the settings you would like it to. This option is more cheaper and cost-efficient IMO.

Not to be a dick but I think you missed the part where the entire system needs to cost less than 900$ Canadian. An i5 and a 970 and a z97 mobo are going to put the cost on this system over budget by an extra 4-500$. Basically 50%

Also it's fairly obvious the OP Isn't worried about boner specs or "best graphics" he says he wants to run GTA v at 60fps and watch Netflix browse the Internet and use word.

There is no way he is going to build a system for that budget with the parts you mentioned. Further to that he doesn't need any of them to do what he's stated he wants to do.

Not to be a dick but I think you missed the part where the entire system needs to cost less than 900$ Canadian. An i5 and a 970 and a z97 mobo are going to put the cost on this system over budget by an extra 4-500$. Basically 50%

Also it's fairly obvious the OP Isn't worried about boner specs or "best graphics" he says he wants to run GTA v at 60fps and watch Netflix browse the Internet and use word.

There is no way he is going to build a system for that budget with the parts you mentioned. Further to that he doesn't need any of them to do what he's stated he wants to do.

Not to be a dick, but you didn't read the post and responded anyways to something I literally suggested against doing twice in that post. He only said he wants to run GTA V at 1080p and 60 fps. He did not specify at what settings. I simply informed him if it was on very high textures then he would need these components and this would require more money. I gave him another option that would fit in his budget and you ignored it in option B. He would have enough if he shops around to finish his PC for that budget or within $50.

Archived