The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Four Biggest Non-Mistakes Over the Last Year

IBatch

At the end of Gillis and Torts things looked pretty bleak. The team didn't make the playoffs, Luongo and Schneider were gone - leaving a GAPING hole in net (and our core), the twins had a sub-par season (with Burrows injuries and trying to block shots, kill penalties and win draws in the defensive zones and skate the puck over to get their 50 points), and rumours were abound about Kesler wanting out and general negativity.

It was tough on fans, thoughts of long playoff droughts began to creep in. But then Linden came in and made what at the time was applauded as a good match in hiring Benning and things started to roll right off the bat.

#1 Non - Mistake

Picking up Miller. This immediately made losing Luongo more palatable. Comparable stats over a career sample size over similar ages (Miller didn't come in right away like Luongo). This gave us the opportunity to get the wins (with a competent back-up) we need to make the playoffs.

#2 Non - Mistake

Picking up Vrbata. Our team needs somebody else who can be an option on the top line, or if not, provide reliable, consistent, secondary scoring. One of the best at shoot-outs, a area that we never really dominated and therefore lost important points as a result. This - with #1, saved the season.

#3 Non-Mistake

Dorsett, Prust, Sutter. This includes the Kesler trade. Out goes Kassian, who had enough chances to be what he is clearly not (at least with the Canucks - let MTL try to pigeon hole this guy into becoming a Power Forward in his mid-twenties) in comes a guy who plays every shift as if it is his last one (read Bob McKenzie's book to see what he thinks of this guy, full chapter on him) as does Dorsett. Even one year with him will be worth it, especially because Kassian is gone - dressing room issues and injuries and trying to make him what he is not - all problems - are gone too. Dorsett brings intangibles and heart, effort etc. that also fits within this theme. Culture Change would be a better title than number 3. Sutter also brings more than 20+ goals to this team (on a terrible 3rd line in Pitts). Excellent at face-offs (where aside from Horvat who was superstellar the entire team was well below average) P.K. and hustle (which was hard to see in Bonino's game). This gives the team the option to load a second scoring line or make a devastating shut-down third line, or a hybrid of both. To summarize #3 Non-Mistake: Culture Change - out with any distractions (Kassian - Kesler) in with a supporting cast that plays hard every shift - which should help the rest of the supporting cast work harder too. Lunchpail guys are important, especially when a team lacks them.

#4 Non-Mistake

Trading Lack. After Luongo and Schneider - this city just doesn't need another goalie controversy for a very, very long time. That crept back with Miller's injury and Lack playing well, and even entered the playoffs which was not good for the organization or the fan base. To further support this Lack is in his prime and would be almost thirty by the time Miller is done. Not really next goalie of the future for Vancouver material, excellent back-up material notwithstanding (go back to beginning of this paragraph). Markstrom was probably the best goalie in the AHL last year and has worked incredibly hard to get his chance in the NHL. He also has his eye to playing back home if this wouldn't happen soon (he was picked up to play NHL minutes and considers himself an NHL #1 starter - Roy's stats were terrible at the beginning too so you never really know until the sample size is big enough). At one point he was considered the #2 prospect on the planet and a sure fire NHL starter. Management clearly took all of this into consideration and made the 4th next non-mistake of the year by shipping a fan favourite out to start molding what could be a true goalie of the future in Markstrom.

At the end of Gillis and Torts things looked pretty bleak. The team didn't make the playoffs, Luongo and Schneider were gone - leaving a GAPING hole in net (and our core), the twins had a sub-par season (with Burrows injuries and trying to block shots, kill penalties and win draws in the defensive zones and skate the puck over to get their 50 points), and rumours were abound about Kesler wanting out and general negativity.

It was tough on fans, thoughts of long playoff droughts began to creep in. But then Linden came in and made what at the time was applauded as a good match in hiring Benning and things started to roll right off the bat.

#1 Non - Mistake

Picking up Miller. This immediately made losing Luongo more palatable. Comparable stats over a career sample size over similar ages (Miller didn't come in right away like Luongo). This gave us the opportunity to get the wins (with a competent back-up) we need to make the playoffs.

#2 Non - Mistake

Picking up Vrbata. Our team needs somebody else who can be an option on the top line, or if not, provide reliable, consistent, secondary scoring. One of the best at shoot-outs, a area that we never really dominated and therefore lost important points as a result. This - with #1, saved the season.

#3 Non-Mistake

Dorsett, Prust, Sutter. This includes the Kesler trade. Out goes Kassian, who had enough chances to be what he is clearly not (at least with the Canucks - let MTL try to pigeon hole this guy into becoming a Power Forward in his mid-twenties) in comes a guy who plays every shift as if it is his last one (read Bob McKenzie's book to see what he thinks of this guy, full chapter on him) as does Dorsett. Even one year with him will be worth it, especially because Kassian is gone - dressing room issues and injuries and trying to make him what he is not - all problems - are gone too. Dorsett brings intangibles and heart, effort etc. that also fits within this theme. Culture Change would be a better title than number 3. Sutter also brings more than 20+ goals to this team (on a terrible 3rd line in Pitts). Excellent at face-offs (where aside from Horvat who was superstellar the entire team was well below average) P.K. and hustle (which was hard to see in Bonino's game). This gives the team the option to load a second scoring line or make a devastating shut-down third line, or a hybrid of both. To summarize #3 Non-Mistake: Culture Change - out with any distractions (Kassian - Kesler) in with a supporting cast that plays hard every shift - which should help the rest of the supporting cast work harder too. Lunchpail guys are important, especially when a team lacks them.

#4 Non-Mistake

Trading Lack. After Luongo and Schneider - this city just doesn't need another goalie controversy for a very, very long time. That crept back with Miller's injury and Lack playing well, and even entered the playoffs which was not good for the organization or the fan base. To further support this Lack is in his prime and would be almost thirty by the time Miller is done. Not really next goalie of the future for Vancouver material, excellent back-up material notwithstanding (go back to beginning of this paragraph). Markstrom was probably the best goalie in the AHL last year and has worked incredibly hard to get his chance in the NHL. He also has his eye to playing back home if this wouldn't happen soon (he was picked up to play NHL minutes and considers himself an NHL #1 starter - Roy's stats were terrible at the beginning too so you never really know until the sample size is big enough). At one point he was considered the #2 prospect on the planet and a sure fire NHL starter. Management clearly took all of this into consideration and made the 4th next non-mistake of the year by shipping a fan favourite out to start molding what could be a true goalie of the future in Markstrom.

but what about the "D"?

Good "D" creates our offence and shutdowns the other teams offence.

If JB brought in two young good "D" men in his first year as GM (there were a lot of them available), rather than signing MIller, then the Canucks would have been a better team. #1 Mistake with evaluating talent.

This one trade alone has brought scepticism.

"Hey, let's just rehash a bunch of moves again in a new thread!"

Miller was debateable (certainly at that price and term), and trading Lack after he stepped up in Miller's absence was definitely a point of contention. Can't fault the Vrbata signing, but then to include Dorsett and Prust (taking into account their cap hits for what they bring) as a non mistake as well? And what we paid on top of Kassian after he had so much hype as recently as the last trade deadline? Sutter I like, just not the cost to get him.

But non-mistakes, really? You'd have better luck arguing things like the Baertschi trade was a big "non-mistake" than trying to convince people of most of your original list.

love the positive look...we've read the negative look a thousand times...i'm looking forward to seeing the team that benning is building....he knows bartkowski and thinks he'll help this club....sutter could surprise a lot of people and even pittsburgh fans, if he can gel with his line mates...markstrom can learn from miller and eventually be the goalie florida thought they had....dorsett, prust and sbisa add some toughness to the roster....over the next couple of years, this team will be rebuilt....i love the method of not a complete rebuild...this takes patience but not as much as a full rebuild would....good job, trev and jim.

Thing for me is this: there is no determining whether moves are "mistakes" or not until they actually play out.

Changes are always unknowns in sports....there are behind the scene things that come into play as well as what we see at (ice) surface level. Character issues, how teams gel and the chemistry involved, attitude and work ethic. The pros making the decisions get firsthand looks and information on all of that...we, the average critic, don't always.

I HATE that some in the media use their infinite wisdom and experience to call out those in a position of knowing more than them. Armchair QB's there will always be, but when they state their opinion as fact, they lose me.

So I welcome this thread/view, based on we won't know and it's too early to tell. Teams are a constant work in progress and upgrades can continue as deemed necessary.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't share ideas....but the article that has already and prematurely reported that mistakes have been made? Sure, ok. No.

Fact is, we don't know the impact that newcomers will have on the overall scope of things. If teams grow stale or complacent, infusing some new parts in can tweak something. This is a city that constantly screams for change, but patience is required in that.

I want to see a group of players who gives it their all and brings energy and effort every night. The only mistakes I see happening are people deciding before we get a glimpse. And I don't hold my breath hoping for huge and glaring super moves....slow and steady could win the race.

"Hey, let's just rehash a bunch of moves again in a new thread!"

You just can't help yourself, can you? The originality of this thread is no less original than your whining that this thread, or that thread, doesn't deserve its own thread. Someone please make this guy a moderator already so he can flex with authority.

Benning has drafted really well.

Some of his trades and most of his signings are seriously questionable.

For me, the direction this organisation is going in will result in the team being a continual 5-10 game playoff team rather than actually having a legitimate shot at winning the Cup.

Culture change I think is really important. This organization is going to be all about developing young players which is why a lot of the moves that Benning has made were done.

#3 Non-Mistake

Moves that support this are:

Out: Kesler, Kassian, Sestito, Matthias, Stanton

In: Dorsett, Prust, Sutter, Pedan, Miller......not to mention drafting players that fit the model (fast, skilled, hard to play against)

One other thing with the higher profile trades, that is Kesler, Lack, Kassian. There was some sort of issue that caused each trade, Kesler wanted out, Lack was a goalie controversy and Kassian obviously had other issues.

Anyway, my point is that Benning didn't sit on these issues for too long, he dealt with them relatively quick before things could really get out of hand.

But the Eddie Lack trade! grumble grumble

/s

Good reminder to all Canucks fans who don't like JB that he's actually making some good moves.

Most so called Canucks fans question every move made by every GM we've ever had, because after all nobody knows hockey as well as these incredibly bright hockey minds that call themselves Canucks fans!

Thing for me is this: there is no determining whether moves are "mistakes" or not until they actually play out.

Changes are always unknowns in sports....there are behind the scene things that come into play as well as what we see at (ice) surface level. Character issues, how teams gel and the chemistry involved, attitude and work ethic. The pros making the decisions get firsthand looks and information on all of that...we, the average critic, don't always.

I HATE that some in the media use their infinite wisdom and experience to call out those in a position of knowing more than them. Armchair QB's there will always be, but when they state their opinion as fact, they lose me.

So I welcome this thread/view, based on we won't know and it's too early to tell. Teams are a constant work in progress and upgrades can continue as deemed necessary.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't share ideas....but the article that has already and prematurely reported that mistakes have been made? Sure, ok. No.

Fact is, we don't know the impact that newcomers will have on the overall scope of things. If teams grow stale or complacent, infusing some new parts in can tweak something. This is a city that constantly screams for change, but patience is required in that.

I want to see a group of players who gives it their all and brings energy and effort every night. The only mistakes I see happening are people deciding before we get a glimpse. And I don't hold my breath hoping for huge and glaring super moves....slow and steady could win the race.

I was going to make a similar point. We should not pretend that predictions are facts. The claim that trading for Prust or Sutter was or was not a mistake is just a prediction at this stage. It is not a fact.

What is a fact is that Sutter's salary for his extension is high given his previous production. But obviously we cannot say yet whether that will turn out to be a mistake or not.

We can evaluate some of the things that happened last year. It is a fact that Miller's save percentage last year was .911, which was 32nd in the league. That is poor performance for his cap hit whereas Lack had excellent performance given his much lower cap hit. But maybe Benning was right to trade Lack. Maybe Miller comes back next year and has a big year. I think the odds are against it but it could happen.

So I am nominating Benning for GM of the year just yet, but I haven't yet made up "Fire Benning" signs either. I do find it worrying that the hockey analytics guys are almost all negative about Benning but maybe old school subjective judgements by an experienced hockey guy (Benning) will win.

So I will find next year interesting. The biggest fail, in my view, will be if the Canucks just miss the playoffs and do not acquire picks at the deadline -- not good enough to contend but not bad enough to rebuild with high draft picks. If the Canucks actually make the playoffs again I will give Benning a lot of credit, but I will still be disappointed if they flame out (so to speak) in the first round again.

One other thing with the higher profile trades, that is Kesler, Lack, Kassian. There was some sort of issue that caused each trade, Kesler wanted out, Lack was a goalie controversy and Kassian obviously had other issues.

Anyway, my point is that Benning didn't sit on these issues for too long, he dealt with them relatively quick before things could really get out of hand.

I don't think that Lack was a goalie controversy. The controversy (if there was one) was all in the press. None of it was with the team imo.

I think that Bennings goaltending model is to have a bona fide #1 backed up by a younger guy learning how to be the #1. Lack would have had to clearly outplay Miller to become the #1. Now, I know some of you are going to say he did but what I think was his ultimate undoing was that he fell apart at a critical time in game 3 in the playoffs when the series was tied 1-1. These are the moments where Benning decides on the value of a player. At the same time, Markstrom was rising to the challenge and it could be argued that he carried the Comets on his back to the Calder Cup finals.

So what it came down to was that Benning kept the goalie who he felt had more of the right stuff; who was mentally stronger.

additonally: in response to JamesB above: Miller had a 0.911 save % which I agree is mediocre. However, I think that Benning judges Miller based on how he performs at critical moments in games when the result is on the line, which may be reflected in wins above other stats. Miller's season to me could be described as solid on most nights. He had a lot of shutouts (6) but also he had a lot of blow outs.

good post thank you

love the positive look...we've read the negative look a thousand times...i'm looking forward to seeing the team that benning is building....he knows bartkowski and thinks he'll help this club....sutter could surprise a lot of people and even pittsburgh fans, if he can gel with his line mates...markstrom can learn from miller and eventually be the goalie florida thought they had....dorsett, prust and sbisa add some toughness to the roster....over the next couple of years, this team will be rebuilt....i love the method of not a complete rebuild...this takes patience but not as much as a full rebuild would....good job, trev and jim.

Culture change I think is really important. This organization is going to be all about developing young players which is why a lot of the moves that Benning has made were done.

Moves that support this are:

Out: Kesler, Kassian, Sestito, Matthias, Stanton

In: Dorsett, Prust, Sutter, Pedan, Miller......not to mention drafting players that fit the model (fast, skilled, hard to play against)

Thanks guys - there seems to be a lot of criticism and failure to understand what the front office is trying to do both in the media and on the CDC. You obviously got the purpose of the post.

Yep - nice to see a good portion of the responses are getting this. Good input.

Archived