The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who should Benning bring in on pre-season PTOs?

I already made a thread on why I think Benning should bring in Kevin Sundher on a PTO. Below are few others who I think would be risk-free, mid-reward PTOs. Who else?

Lee Stempniak, RW.

The journeyman right winger has now played 700 NHL games over 7 teams. In his first few seasons he looked like he could be a consistent 50-60 point player. Recently, he has been looking more like a 25-30 points winger who can step into offensive roles if needed. At 32, he still has some hockey left in him. Last year he had 28 points in 81 games, the year before that 34 points. Last year he signed on a lowly 1 year/900,000 dollar deal and will likely get something similar this year. Do the Canucks have space for him? Probably not, unless he had an amazing pre-season, but as he's fighting for a contract and comes with a lot of experience—plainly, he would probably be healthy training camp competition. On a small contract, Stempniak might be a sought after deadline pickup for a team making a run, could potentially bring the Canucks back a 3rd pick.

Jim Slater, C/W.

Another 32-year-old who played in Winnipeg last year. After pacing for 20-25 points per season between 2008-2012, he was a sought after 4th liner, but then spent the next two seasons playing a combined 52 games. Last year, he played 82 but didn't bounce back to form, scoring only 13 points and Winnipeg has decided not to re-sign him. Although the Canucks are by no means desperate for a 4th line C, on a very small contract, Slater might be able to battle for a spot there. At 6'0/200 pounds, he's a solid 4th liner who can play both ends of the ice at best—and a decent 4th liner who can hold his own at worst.

Dan Cleary, LW/RW.

The 37-year-old Newfoundlander has played with Detroit since 2005, meaning he has a lot of experience in a winning environment. A consistent 35-40 point scoring forward until 2012, Cleary's best days are behind him. He has a 121 playoff games under his belt. With Holland not wanting to bring him back, Cleary is probably desperate for a contract. There's almost certainly no space for him on the Canucks, but like Owen Nolan, Brendan Morrison and Manny Legace before, it's sometimes good to bring in vets for the pre-season, both for the aging player and the team, because of the experience they bring to the table.

Bryan Allen, D.

Former 4th overall pick by the Canucks, played parts of 5 seasons here, then became assistant capitain in Florida, ate a lot of minutes for Carolina, then struggled to keep a place with Anaheim and took up too much cap in Montreal for his ability, and spent parts of last season in the AHL. I personally don't think Corrado should be handed a spot in the top-6—if Benning isn't going to acquire anymore D, then he should at least sign a couple on PTOs so that Corrado has to battle for the spot. The 6'5, 230 pound defenseman might be on his last legs, or he might be able to bounce back and play a steady role in some team's top-8, for less pay than he was making before. I predict Allen will sign in the 800,000-1.1M range.

Devin Setoguchi, RW. **Looks like Devin will join Toronto on a tryout basis.

The once 30 goal scorer, twice 20 goal scorer, has been declining the last couple of years, but is only two years removed from a 43 point/22 goal pace season. Last year, he only played in 12 NHL games, registering 0 points. He then put up 10 points in 19 AHL games, on a crappy AHL team. He signed for only 750,000 last year and then put up his worst numbers. At 28, a bounce back is still very possible. Likely, he could be put on a 2-way contract. If he had a good pre-season, he could bring some offense for Utica, and some depth for the Canucks, even though he'd have to pass through waivers.

Kyle Cumiskey, D.

The Abbotsford, B.C. native only has 139 NHL games under his belt, but once put up 20 points/60 games with the Colorado Avalanche. He can score at a clip of .5 at the AHL level, and before returning to North America last year, played two season for Naslund's MODO team, leading the team in points in his 2nd year, pretty good for a D. He's a smooth skater, can play all zones of the ice, but is pretty small and can struggle defensively against bigger players. He could possibly try out to be the 8th defenseman, or another player on a 2-way contract helping Utica out to start the year. Note: he played 9 games for Chicago in their run to the cup last playoffs (and 7 regular season games).

Zach Budish, RW.

The 24-year-old, former University of Minnesota captain and NSH 2nd round pick wasn't tendered a qualifying offer. No surprise really, he hasn't really been able to stick in the AHL (93 games/27 points), but has slowly been improving at both the AHL and ECHL levels. He hasn't been given that many minutes in Milwaukee, but perhaps a change of scenery and Travis Green as a coach could help him turn it around. At 6'3, 214 pounds, he was once predicted to be a decent point-getter, but perhaps he could be a future role player with good size. For next season, he could replace DeFazio at best and act as depth, and at worst, help the K-Wings out (or not have his PTO extended).

Scott Glennie, C.

Another potential Utica/depth player. Picked 8th overall in in 2009, had 14 goals and 39 points in 69 AHL games last year. After dominating the WHL, he struggled a bit with the transistion to pro, and then was turned into more of a 2-way center (from a mostly offensive one) under Willie Desjardins and Doug Lidster. That same year, the Texas Stars went onto win the Calder Cup, with Glennie playing a crucial shutdown role and scoring 6 goals/10 points in 20 games. Glennie has also faced injury setbacks which have cut most his seasons short, but last year he only missed 7, showing an improvement there. If he could put up 40 points again the AHL, he would have placed 4th or 5th amongst Utica players last year.

Eric Roy, D.

At just 20, the former Flames 5th round pick could still be signed on a ELC. At 6'3, 210 pounds, the Brandon Wheat Kings defenseman had 15 points in 19 playoff games last year. In 2013, he had a bad post-draft year, being -32 on a really bad team - last year, he rectified that with a +31 performance. On a ELC, he would not have to pass through waivers and could give the Canucks some much needed waiver ineligible depth if he can transistion smoothly to pro. Flames believed they had enough depth without him, but haven't read/seen/heard anything that makes him seem unsignable.

** NOT SAYING THE CANUCKS SHOULD GIVE ALL THESE GUYS PTOs, 2-3 AT MOST**

We can always use depth in all organization areas because of injuries or players under performing. Id take a flyer on a couple guys for sure

Setoguchi on a cheap 1way deal or even 2way sure, could be a better offensive option than higgins hansen etc if his game is on and he finds chemistry.

Glennie on a 2way sure, still young maybe not being qualified has woken him up, worst case he gets sent from utica to kalamazoo then not retained at end of year

Im sure their are other options aswell

I'd rather have our prospects given shots, but a PTO doesn't mean much. It means they have to beat out people who haven't earned NHL contracts for a NHL spot, that's healthy competition IMO.

GMJB is gonna sign 1-3 players onto PTOs I would think, likely a goalie and a defenseman. Every year teams bring in outsiders to compete to training camp/pre-season.

We can always use depth in all organization areas because of injuries or players under performing. Id take a flyer on a couple guys for sure

Setoguchi on a cheap 1way deal or even 2way sure, could be a better offensive option than higgins hansen etc if his game is on and he finds chemistry.

Glennie on a 2way sure, still young maybe not being qualified has woken him up, worst case he gets sent from utica to kalamazoo then not retained at end of year

Im sure their are other options aswell

Yeah, I think Glennie would be a shrewd AHL signing. A 40 points 2-way center on Utica would be helpful, although perhaps Cole Cassels can bring it, but he might be 1 season away still.

I mean we could sign Scott Glennie and see how he auditions for our 4th line center position..

6'1 200 pounds, decent AHL numbers, very good junior numbers, would be nice to give him a shot. 24 years old as well.

I mean we could sign Scott Glennie and see how he auditions for our 4th line center position..

6'1 200 pounds, decent AHL numbers, very good junior numbers, would be nice to give him a shot. 24 years old as well.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Glennie either. Could still be some potential there.

If I'm JB, I would invite:

(1) Mark Fraser, 29 yo, a big, mobile, nasty d-man with some NHL and lots of AHL experience;

(2) Ben Hanowski, 24 yo, a slow but big guy who would give Utica some added depth;

(3) Vladimir Tkachev, 20 yo, the Russian Johnny Gaudreau who was head and shoulders one of the best players at the Young Stars Tourney last fall;

(4) Marc-Olivier Roy, 21 yo, a smallish, but good playoff performer in the QMJHL who's been passed by the Oilers after they drafted him in the second round a few years ago;

(5) Manny Malhotra, 35 yo. Bring him in to teach every one of the centres on how to win face-offs. Let him retire in Vancouver...he's probably skating at UBC right now, so he won't have far to travel.

Yeah, considering he's played under WDJ before too, he might have a quick transition into the system. If not, no contract. Low risk, decent reward.

If I'm JB, I would invite:

(1) Mark Fraser, 29 yo, a big, mobile, nasty d-man with some NHL and lots of AHL experience;

(2) Ben Hanowski, 24 yo, a slow but big guy who would give Utica some added depth;

(3) Vladimir Tkachev, 20 yo, the Russian Johnny Gaudreau who was head and shoulders one of the best players at the Young Stars Tourney last fall;

(4) Marc-Olivier Roy, 21 yo, a smallish, but good playoff performer in the QMJHL who's been passed by the Oilers after they drafted him in the second round a few years ago;

(5) Manny Malhotra, 35 yo. Bring him in to teach every one of the centres on how to win face-offs. Let him retire in Vancouver...he's probably skating at UBC right now, so he won't have far to travel.

Yeah, Mark Fraser could definitely fill a role. Having a choice between a guy like him or a guy like Weber for 7th and 8th defenseman would make our depth more versatile. Devils liked him enough to bring him back a 2nd time.

Marco Roy has really fallen...he wasn't even top-6 on his in the playoffs last year as an overager. Saying that, he might be decent Utica depth.

Would love to see Manny here. 4th line center/13th forward since he can play W or C. Like you said, teach the younger guys how to win face-offs. After all Gillis put him through, if Benning treated him better, it would sure make him look better. Not a bad idea at all.

What about Scottie Upshawll. (spelling?)

Yeah, Upshall could bring a good veteran presence. Only a year removed from a 37 point season and wore the "A" in Florida. Not sure he'd fit anywhere on the Canucks though.

I want Erik Cole to sit beside Vrtanen and Grenier.

Martin Erat.

Glennie, or other high end bust that can go to Utica (a la Bo Sang).

Wouldn't want to see anyone signed unless we have a major injury or two, which is not unlikely.

This will be cool to watch this fall. A few nhl regular vets aren't gonna make it back, that's for sure.

Mannny would be great for mentoring and helping with faceoffs. Would love to see him back in some capacity helping out.

But i just dont know if he would return, be a great story if he did, especially if it led to some sort of coaching or internal job down the road

Manny as a veteran presence, faceoff maestro, and injury fill-in would be worth the close to league min salary. He brings zero offensive ability, but still played over 10 minutes per night at close to 60% faceoffs last year with Montreal. Also had the highest PK TOI/G (not including Moen who played just 10 games).

Archived