The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who should Benning bring in on pre-season PTOs?

Yeah, considering he's played under WDJ before too, he might have a quick transition into the system. If not, no contract. Low risk, decent reward.

Yeah, Mark Fraser could definitely fill a role. Having a choice between a guy like him or a guy like Weber for 7th and 8th defenseman would make our depth more versatile. Devils liked him enough to bring him back a 2nd time.

Marco Roy has really fallen...he wasn't even top-6 on his in the playoffs last year as an overager. Saying that, he might be decent Utica depth.

Would love to see Manny here. 4th line center/13th forward since he can play W or C. Like you said, teach the younger guys how to win face-offs. After all Gillis put him through, if Benning treated him better, it would sure make him look better. Not a bad idea at all.

Yeah, Upshall could bring a good veteran presence. Only a year removed from a 37 point season and wore the "A" in Florida. Not sure he'd fit anywhere on the Canucks though.

Marco Roy wasn't an O/A...started the season as a 19 year old, turned 20 in November and played the rest of the season as a 20 yo. Whose ever camp he goes to, he will do so as a 20 yo. It's conceivable that he may even end up for another season in the Q as an over-ager this coming season. Further, he was pushed down to a 3rd line role mainly because of injuries (not a good thing) and he produced pretty well as a 3rd liner in the playoffs. His career playoff numbers as a junior is solid (GP: 60 G: 19 A: 37 TP: 56)...not a big guy, but indications are that he's plays a good 2-way game and with a little bit of sandpaper. Looks to me that he was caught in the numbers game in Edmonton.

As far as Manny goes, IMO, he didn't get the shaft from Gillis. IMO, Gillis was sincere in protecting Manny. I was at the Calgary game when Gillis shut Manny down, and it was the right thing to do. Manny on more than a few occasions put himself in situations where he would have been severely harmed (the way the Flames avoided hitting Manny was honestly one of the most sportsmanlike things I've seen...Iginla keeping his teammates out on the ice for Linden's retirement game was another...other than these two things, I hate the Flames). Perhaps when he put Manny on the LTIR he could have announced that the team will keep working with Manny to see if there are improvements in his eye-sight and play (which obviously came to be), but it seems to me that the player agent in Gillis (who also knows first hand about having to shut down a playing career based on his own experiences as a player) had an instinctive response to protect Manny.

As far as I can remember, Manny lives in Vancouver and trains here, so it would be great to see him retire as a Canuck (even though he only spent three seasons here) and carry on with the organization in one capacity or another. The guy oozes character, is smart, knows the game, good in the community...prime candidate for a special assignment/consultant role to start.

I already made a thread on why I think Benning should bring in Kevin Sundher on a PTO. Below are few others who I think would be risk-free, mid-reward PTOs. Who else?

Lee Stempniak, RW.

The journeyman right winger has now played 700 NHL games over 7 teams. In his first few seasons he looked like he could be a consistent 50-60 point player. Recently, he has been looking more like a 25-30 points winger who can step into offensive roles if needed. At 32, he still has some hockey left in him. Last year he had 28 points in 81 games, the year before that 34 points. Last year he signed on a lowly 1 year/900,000 dollar deal and will likely get something similar this year. Do the Canucks have space for him? Probably not, unless he had an amazing pre-season, but as he's fighting for a contract and comes with a lot of experience—plainly, he would probably be healthy training camp competition. On a small contract, Stempniak might be a sought after deadline pickup for a team making a run, could potentially bring the Canucks back a 3rd pick.

Devin Setoguchi, RW.

The once 30 goal scorer, twice 20 goal scorer, has been declining the last couple of years, but is only two years removed from a 43 point/22 goal pace season. Last year, he only played in 12 NHL games, registering 0 points. He then put up 10 points in 19 AHL games, on a crappy AHL team. He signed for only 750,000 last year and then put up his worst numbers. At 28, a bounce back is still very possible. Likely, he could be put on a 2-way contract. If he had a good pre-season, he could bring some offense for Utica, and some depth for the Canucks, even though he'd have to pass through waivers.

Kyle Cumiskey, D.

The Abbotsford, B.C. native only has 139 NHL games under his belt, but once put up 20 points/60 games with the Colorado Avalanche. He can score at a clip of .5 at the AHL level, and before returning to North America last year, played two season for Naslund's MODO team, leading the team in points in his 2nd year, pretty good for a D. He's a smooth skater, can play all zones of the ice, but is pretty small and can struggle defensively against bigger players. He could possibly try out to be the 8th defenseman, or another player on a 2-way contract helping Utica out to start the year. Note: he played 9 games for Chicago in their run to the cup last playoffs (and 7 regular season games).

Scott Glennie, C.

Another potential Utica/depth player. Picked 8th overall in in 2009, had 14 goals and 39 points in 69 AHL games last year. After dominating the WHL, he struggled a bit with the transistion to pro, and then was turned into more of a 2-way center (from a mostly offensive one) under Willie Desjardins and Doug Lidster. That same year, the Texas Stars went onto win the Calder Cup, with Glennie playing a crucial shutdown role and scoring 6 goals/10 points in 20 games. Glennie has also faced injury setbacks which have cut most his seasons short, but last year he only missed 7, showing an improvement there. If he could put up 40 points again the AHL, he would have placed 4th or 5th amongst Utica players last year.

Stempniak: The downside to trying to spin a potential free asset into a "mid"-round draft pick would be the need for him to be on our regular-season roster. I know we are trying to build a line-up with a bit more youth compared to recent memory (last season was better than most), so I am not sure if he would be outright "stealing" a spot from a budding AHL-NHL tweener. He would undoubtedly brig leadership to the bottom-6 but would he be willing to prolong his career with a "rebuild-lite" organization? However, training camp competition is always, always a great psychological booster - for both Lee and our prospects. It may not work out here, but he may get a call from another organization requiring his services! Win-win.

Setoguchi: Wow.. what can I say. An incredible turn-of events for Devin in the last few seasons. It seemed like yesterday that he was an un-touchable asset for the Sharks. Seeing as where he's played in 2013-14 and 14-15, I'd say if we can give him some stability, he may be willing to play in Utica for us. That would add a nice offensive boost to our line-up as Teemu has mentioned.

Cumiskey: Bring on another hometown player! Seriously, since he has had prior connections to the Canucks indirectly. I believe our Utica defense is in a for significant revamp - players signing elsewhere, promotions, demotions, retirement, so if he can add some offensive and still hold his own on defense (Green may try to match lines to optimize his play and reduce the liability against bigger players.)

Glennie: Of the list, I would say he should be a prime PTO target. He may look like another reclamation project but with the right leadership surroundings on and off the ice, I'd say it's a risk worth taking. He has experience with our Willie-Doug combination so it seems like a perfect opportunity for all to make the most of it.

If I'm JB, I would invite:

(1) Mark Fraser, 29 yo, a big, mobile, nasty d-man with some NHL and lots of AHL experience;

(2) Ben Hanowski, 24 yo, a slow but big guy who would give Utica some added depth;

(3) Vladimir Tkachev, 20 yo, the Russian Johnny Gaudreau who was head and shoulders one of the best players at the Young Stars Tourney last fall;

(4) Marc-Olivier Roy, 21 yo, a smallish, but good playoff performer in the QMJHL who's been passed by the Oilers after they drafted him in the second round a few years ago;

(5) Manny Malhotra, 35 yo. Bring him in to teach every one of the centres on how to win face-offs. Let him retire in Vancouver...he's probably skating at UBC right now, so he won't have far to travel.

Fraser: Would love to add a nastiness-to-play-against element to our Utica backend. Or even perhaps cracking our regular season roster as a depth defenceman to allow for Bartkowski to play in the AHL (since soooo many were against a depth signing...)? Would be a nice secondary option should Fraser and his agent agree to a PTO.

Tkachev: If he is allowed, not sure after the whole Oilers fiasco, but if so, I'd love to take a flyer on him and integrate him into our line up for the YoungStars tournament. Once again having more competition prior to training camp would be beneficial for our organization and since we are organizing it as well, many of our player development personnel should be on-hand for a better understanding of what he may be able to bring.

Mannny would be great for mentoring and helping with faceoffs. Would love to see him back in some capacity helping out.

But i just dont know if he would return, be a great story if he did, especially if it led to some sort of coaching or internal job down the road

Manny in a coaching role, yes. Otherwise, maybe we're better off letting our prospects push for spots?

Manny back in a faceoff coaching/consulting role would be fantastic! Worries of friction with management would be old news (most of the (A)GMs are no long with us - wish we kept Gilman, but that's out of our control) so perhaps he can be swayed with our new bosses!

anyone know of or able to source an article about coach Willie ever speaking about Glennie when he was the ahl coach for the stars organization. If he had some concerns back then for sure he wouldnt be coming here I dont think.

I think if Coach WD like Glennie we probly would have already made him a 2way contract offer, just my guess tho

I want Erik Cole to sit beside Vrtanen and Grenier.

Martin Erat.

Glennie, or other high end bust that can go to Utica (a la Bo Sang).

Wouldn't want to see anyone signed unless we have a major injury or two, which is not unlikely.

This will be cool to watch this fall. A few nhl regular vets aren't gonna make it back, that's for sure.

My thoughts are that Martin Erat will get a regular contract, and not a PTO, but I could be wrong.

anyone know of or able to source an article about coach Willie ever speaking about Glennie when he was the ahl coach for the stars organization. If he had some concerns back then for sure he wouldnt be coming here I dont think.

I think if Coach WD like Glennie we probly would have already made him a 2way contract offer, just my guess tho

Here's some stuff from Glennie's Texas days:

August 15/2013:

Drafted unexpectedly high by the Stars at 8th overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Glennie has had a very interesting, tumultuous ride since then.

Combining excellent mobility, quick hands, and impressive offensive instincts, Glennie was a dangerous forward during his junior days with the WHL's Brandon Wheat Kings, scoring 308 points over the span of 252 games.

Yet, despite his numbers, Glennie always seemed to perform just a peg or two below what was expected out of him as a Top 10 draft pick. He was always good, but rarely was he able to single-handedly dominate games...

Under the lax coaching style of former bench boss Jeff Pyle the Stars were allowed to freewheel offensively and Glennie found his groove as a first-year pro, potting a very respectable 37 points in 70 games, good enough for fifth on the team.

Just as importantly, he made his Dallas Stars debut that year, suiting up for the final game of the regular season versus the St Louis Blues. Even though he failed to register a point in that game, the call-up alone was a clear message that the Stars were happy with what Glennie achieved that year, and that he was still held in high regard within the organization.

Things seemed to be looking up. The future looked bright.

But then, something happened last season.

The Texas Stars, under the new tutelage of Willie Desjardins, started their first seven games of the season without Glennie, even though the young right wing had played for the team during the preseason. The team remained quite tight-lipped about Glennie's lack of play until Les Jackson eventually broke the ice, somewhat, briefly saying that a nagging injury and some issues with regards to conditioning were the reasons why he was kept out.

The relationship between Glennie and Desjardins appeared to have gotten off to a rocky start, as not only did the veteran coach bench the young forward to start the season, he only gave him 4th line minutes once inserted into the lineup. Desjardins is a tough coach, but rewards hard work out of his players, and likely wouldn't have limited Glennie's ice time so significantly if his effort level was on par with the rest of the team at the time.

Glennie kept working, battling during games and eventually even getting some time on the team's first line, but any progress he was making was quickly cut short after he sustained a serious hand injury, forcing him out of the lineup for all of January and February.

He came back before the end of the season and showed some nice stretches, scoring a combined 11 points in his final 24 regular season games, but never quite reached the level of play he was at the season before. He finished 2012/2013 with 14 points and a +4 rating in 37 games, numbers that were lower than everyone, probably Glennie himself as well, were hoping for...

Even though his relationship with Desjardins got off to a rocky start, Glennie's defensive game made huge strides last year, and the staunch, no-nonsense defensive coaching style of "Whiteboard Willie" surely played some kind of part in that.

- Defending Big D

July, 2015 - Interview with Dallas Stars beat writer:

Do you think Scott Glennie gets a chance in the NHL with another team?

Yes, I do. I think he'll get a two-way contract offer somewhere. He also might try going overseas, so we'll see if that's an option. This is just a gut feeling, but he played his best hockey under Willie Desjardins, so he might end up in Vancouver's system.

- Dallas Morning News

Marco Roy wasn't an O/A...started the season as a 19 year old, turned 20 in November and played the rest of the season as a 20 yo. Whose ever camp he goes to, he will do so as a 20 yo. It's conceivable that he may even end up for another season in the Q as an over-ager this coming season. Further, he was pushed down to a 3rd line role mainly because of injuries (not a good thing) and he produced pretty well as a 3rd liner in the playoffs. His career playoff numbers as a junior is solid (GP: 60 G: 19 A: 37 TP: 56)...not a big guy, but indications are that he's plays a good 2-way game and with a little bit of sandpaper. Looks to me that he was caught in the numbers game in Edmonton.

As far as Manny goes, IMO, he didn't get the shaft from Gillis. IMO, Gillis was sincere in protecting Manny. I was at the Calgary game when Gillis shut Manny down, and it was the right thing to do. Manny on more than a few occasions put himself in situations where he would have been severely harmed (the way the Flames avoided hitting Manny was honestly one of the most sportsmanlike things I've seen...Iginla keeping his teammates out on the ice for Linden's retirement game was another...other than these two things, I hate the Flames). Perhaps when he put Manny on the LTIR he could have announced that the team will keep working with Manny to see if there are improvements in his eye-sight and play (which obviously came to be), but it seems to me that the player agent in Gillis (who also knows first hand about having to shut down a playing career based on his own experiences as a player) had an instinctive response to protect Manny.

As far as I can remember, Manny lives in Vancouver and trains here, so it would be great to see him retire as a Canuck (even though he only spent three seasons here) and carry on with the organization in one capacity or another. The guy oozes character, is smart, knows the game, good in the community...prime candidate for a special assignment/consultant role to start.

Oops, my bad on the O/A fact. You're right, he'll be 21 in Nov. I don't think a PTO would be bad idea, I just am skeptical he has what it takes to be a pro player. His junior playoff stats are OK (for Quebec standards), but in his last year in Blainville he also only had 12 points in 20 games, so his game has been on the decline since his injury. Saying that, lots of players bounce back from injuries if they can find a different role - like you said, maybe he could play as a solid 2-way forward.

I think you're right, Manny's wife is from here and this is where they were residing. I didn't mean that - he probably should have been shutdown, but not offering him any kind of contract after being such a heart and soul player and sitting him really surprised me. If on a PTO he couldn't prove much, it would be great to keep a guy like him in the organization.

I guess it was just a bonus to come up with 2 mil in capspace at deadline time when we were right at the top of the cap.

Bryan Allen and Manny Malhotra would fit the 'were Canucks years ago, let's be kind to them' role that our PTOs have been used for in recent years. None of those listed should be anywhere near our NHL roster and so I'd rather just rock with the kids thanks.

I've been going over potential depth chart situations a lot and seen how pressing an issue it could be if at least two of Baertschi, Virtanen, Grenier, Gaunce, and Cassels make the team. It's partly the reason we moved Clendening, it was affordable to sacrifice some defensive depth and blue line skill for room for plenty of young forwards battling for roster spots. To start off, the starting line-up looks like this to me and is how it should be IMO, or at least until we see how our prospects like Virtanen do in training camp.

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-B. Sutter-Vrbata

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Prust-Vey-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Bartkowski-Weber-(Weber on 1st PP unit though)

Corrado

Personally, I'd love it if Virtanen wasn't rushed and I know Benning will do what's best for his development, I think he won't make it this year. Baertschi is a lock I hope and think, he's never been more ready and we need him now, he could and if he makes the team at all I think should be on the second line instead of Higgins. That leaves Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, and Cassels as other possibilities. In terms of having veterans being able to help us contend now, and for prospect development, I think it'd be best for Gaunce to have another year with the Comets. Even if he switches back to Center, he's not beating out Vey for the 4th line, this is Vey's year, he's been training hard and won't let his chance slip away. If Cassels and McCann pan out, Vey still has a future here on the wing and could eventually be traded but for now he's key to the Center depth. With Cassels, same thing, so we don't have to scramble and move veterans out for more spots and risk throwing them away for minimal value, I think he's best suited getting adjusted to the AHL first. That leaves Jensen and Grenier as candidates, everyone seems to forget we have Jensen and how much upside he still has, he's only 22' and he could be a top six winger for us moving forward, while others around him are busts (eg. Baertschi, Virtanen, Grenier), I don't think that will happen but you never know. I saw he was dropping the gloves with the Comets a few times and saw glimpses of that speedy edge control and skill. Him fighting like that and producing more in the playoffs near the end when the Comets needed him badly time shows he is trying really hard. Grenier could make the team as a healthy scratch forward as well, but then there's Kenins as another forward too. Out of all the prospects pushing, some will make the team and there could be a few, we could have a serious log-jam and might be forced to move Hansen and Higgins and maybe Burrows. So the only way we would bring in top veteran players on PTO's is if a bunch of rookies don't make it. But that's not going to happen, the only players we should be signing to try-outs are depth guys to push the rookies chances in training camp and make them earn it. If we brought in potential top six or even top nine guys like Boyes, Stempniak, Bergenheim, or Glencross, they could possibly impress Linden and Benning a lot but we wouldn't have room for them. No point in bringing in those types of players that could be viewed as pieces that would help us big time right now and people get excited about them, but they end up not being able to fit in the line-up at all. Stick to depth guys that are there to try to steal the 13th and 14th forward spots. The only way a top veteran is signed is if for some reason, Baertschi becomes a bust, Virtanen is sent to Utica or the Hitmen for one more year, Gaunce and Cassels both need AHL time still, and Jensen and Grenier are complete busts. What are the chances of that? Not very likely at all that none of them make the team this year especially because three of them are busts. So unless that happens, there will not be Boyes, Stempniak, Bergenheim, Glencross, or any other guy like Tlusty or Roy on our team. Or even a 3rd/4th line forward like Goc for that matter. And I left out Shinkaruk from this because he just started to find his scoring groove and add physical consistency with Utica this season. He is my favourite prospect and I see him and Baertschi as our top two left wingers in the future (hopefully that is).

With all that being said, here's who I would look at signing to PTO's and then maybe contracts who would be better suited to taking depth forward spots for us rather then top six or nine.

Daniel Paille-(Benning connection-Benning/Desjardins type of player-Cup winning experience against VANCOUVER.)

Martin Erat-(Lots of experience and skill-still put up 32 points in 79 games with Coyotes at 36. Needs his confidence back and was on a bottom feeding and tanking team.)-(Could play in top six if Baertschi isn't ready and Baertschi perhaps say needs half a season with Utica for example or could play depth role while mentoring Baertschi.)

Tomas Fleischmann-(Same situation and abilities as Erat except he played on an ok team in Florida and then a contender in Anaheim-had 27 points in 66 games and was a +12.)

Andrej Meszaros-(Posted OK numbers on a horrible Sabres team-plenty of playoff and Cup Final experience, great offensive minded blue liner who plays 200 feet. Could be a 7th/8th defenseman if a couple forward rookies don't make it.

Brett Bellemore-(Underrated-was great for Carolina when needed, has the right frame and thickness, knows his ability as a shutdown D-man and plays it the right way.)

Tomas Kopecky-(Cup winning experience, nice size and can be a poor-mans power forward/2-way grinder, skates hard and goes to the net hard.)

Tyler Kennedy-(Cup win with Penguins-outstanding character and fun guy who displays energy on every shift-underrated offensive a ability.)

Agreed with Slater, think it's very important to have an in-house 4th line center ready in case Linden proves again that he's not ready for the role, and I don't want wingers Prust or Dorsett to play up the middle when it's not their forte.

Also think that Fraser would be a good choice, not sure if Pedan would be ready to make the leap yet given his concussion history and I would want a behemoth to man our back end against tougher teams.

Meszaros would also be a safe option, he's had decent scoring seasons and puck-moving ability, he can also play both sides and I think at his age he'd still be an upgrade on Bartkowski and Corrado on the PP in that regard. Not the worst on a 1-year deal.

Also think we could try to sign Ilya Nikulin out of the KHL, since he's rumored to want to leave. He's large and physical, and can also take offensive duties on the PP. An older guy but he's had success overseas so I'd take a flyer on him.

Good post. With the amount of youngsters that the Canucks have they need some PTO's to push the young guys so that they earn their spots.

No they don't need someone to push them to earn their spot. Many of the players from Utica last year earned their chance for any roster spots on the big club.

Any D would be helpful. We don't have depth on the farm to call up when we inevitably get a few guys injured. Getting 2-3 guys on PTOs for camp wouldn't negatively impact our prospects because really we don't have a lot of defensive prospects who are even close to being NHL ready (Biega and Pedan maybe?).

Figure out 1-2 of them that seem to fit and sign them to a 2 way deal so you can assign them to Utica and call them up when needed. If we lose them to waivers at that point it is at least no real loss in terms of asset management since we got them for free.

The other alternative is Franson, if we could convince him to take a super cheap deal for this season and then extend at a fair market price beyond that when we need to replace Hamhuis... that would be nice. We would make a really solid #3-4 and someone who can take top pairing minutes when needed while our prospects mature.

Good post. With the amount of youngsters that the Canucks have they need some PTO's to push the young guys so that they earn their spots.

Agreed.

Bryan Allen and Manny Malhotra would fit the 'were Canucks years ago, let's be kind to them' role that our PTOs have been used for in recent years.

Yep. A lot of teams do this every few years. Gonchar for the Pens being the most recent.

Goc, Manny, Slater. Basically anyone who can push Vey for that 4th line centre position.

Glennie would be a low risk pickup for Utica. I'd be open to giving him a 1 year deal and skipping the PTO all together.

Same. Glennie is a low-risk reclamation.

Also, agreed...don't really see Vey as a competent 4th liner with Prust and Dorsett (hope I'm proven wrong). If Slater or Goc coudl return to 20-25 point form that'd be a great 4th line.

Agreed with Slater, think it's very important to have an in-house 4th line center ready in case Linden proves again that he's not ready for the role, and I don't want wingers Prust or Dorsett to play up the middle when it's not their forte.

Yep.

Any D would be helpful. We don't have depth on the farm to call up when we inevitably get a few guys injured. Getting 2-3 guys on PTOs for camp wouldn't negatively impact our prospects because really we don't have a lot of defensive prospects who are even close to being NHL ready (Biega and Pedan maybe?).

Figure out 1-2 of them that seem to fit and sign them to a 2 way deal so you can assign them to Utica and call them up when needed. If we lose them to waivers at that point it is at least no real loss in terms of asset management since we got them for free.

The other alternative is Franson, if we could convince him to take a super cheap deal for this season and then extend at a fair market price beyond that when we need to replace Hamhuis... that would be nice. We would make a really solid #3-4 and someone who can take top pairing minutes when needed while our prospects mature.

Agreed, Eric Roy wouldn't have to pass through waivers either, but he might be too far from being NHL-ready, even short-term.

Franson has said he's tired of 1-year contracts, but maybe he'll get desperate ;).

Archived