The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MLB Inks $600 Million Pact with NHL to Handle TV, Streaming Distribution

Jaimito

MLB will run NHL.com in 2016. They even get the broadcast rights.

Will CDC get better and not crash on game days?

Anyone using CentreIce online? How is the experience so far?

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/nhl-mlb-advanced-media-deal-1201556128/

"Recommended Reading: How baseball's tech team changed television" on engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/08/recommended-reading-8-8-15/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9090897/mlb-bam-live-streaming-internet-tv-nhl-hbo-now-espn

MLB Inks $600 Million Pact with NHL to Handle TV, Streaming Distribution

Todd SpanglerNY Digital Editor@xpangler

Variety

NY Digital Editor

Major League Baseballs media division has announced a six-year deal with the NHL, under which MLB Advanced Media will take over the hockey leagues TV broadcasting and Internet-streaming operations.

Under the terms of the pact, MLBAM will pay the NHL about $100 million per year for the rights to distribute the leagues out-of-market telecasts, including the NHL GameCenter Live and NHL Center Ice subscriptions services, in the U.S. and certain international markets. The NHL will receive an equity stake in MLBAM of between 7% and 10%.

MLBAM, in addition to operating the MLB.tv subscription streaming service for out-of-market baseball games, also powers the streaming infrastructure of HBO Now, WWE Network, Sonys PlayStation Vue Internet TV service and the PGA. It has also provided services for CBS March Madness on Demand service and ESPNs WatchESPN.

Previously, NHL had used NeuLion to power its Internet-video subscription services. Under the pact, MLBAM has exclusive rights to operate the NHL Network, whose daily on-air operations will be based out of MLB Networks headquarters in Secaucus, N.J.

MLBAM said it expects to relaunch the NHLs online properties in January 2016 as a fully integrated global hub of digital content that will encompass video, live game streaming, social media, fantasy, apps, and statistical and analytical content. MLBAM will operate NHL.com, including the leagues seven in-language sites, and the websites for the NHLs 30 teams, although the NHL and its member clubs retain editorial control across all platforms.

Major League Baseball had a years-long head start in the video-streaming business, launching MBL.tv for the 2002-03 season eons ago in Internet time, and five years before Netflix launched its initial streaming-video service. The league is expected to spin off MLB Advanced Media, headed by Bob Bowman, into a separate entity at some point.

Sounds like a great deal for the NHL, & a big show of confidence by the MLB in their media distribution team...clearly they think they can interest some big markets...& with the advantage of extra games (& money) to hone their craft, I wouldn't be shocked if they double or even triple subscription services during the contract term.

This will push up the cap for the next year. As much of a wiener Bettman is, he's done a decent job growing the spot of hockey with some big media deals

Not really. We're just now recovering from the damage he caused the sport in the 90's during the glowing puck fiasco. Add in the rigging of games to ensure that big market teams get to play in the finals and you're left with a very myopic way of thinking that is a big reason the NHL has so many problems right now.

Not really. We're just now recovering from the damage he caused the sport in the 90's during the glowing puck fiasco. Add in the rigging of games to ensure that big market teams get to play in the finals and you're left with a very myopic way of thinking that is a big reason the NHL has so many problems right now.

give me a break.

Well Toronto is quickly becoming one of the leagues best teams, and a huge pitching Juggernaut.

Price said it perfectly "You're not playing for a city, you're playing for an entire country". It's so true.

These are my 2 favourite pro sports leagues by a mile so Im happy about this.

Not really, you can ask the majority of sports fans down south and they'll say the NBA, NFL and MLB are far superior to the NHL.

I'm sure the fact that hockey is traditionally a winter sport played in cold climates has nothing to do with it.

Not really, you can ask the majority of sports fans down south and they'll say the NBA, NFL and MLB are far superior to the NHL.

There's your problem :P

Does anyone know if this affects the NHL Gamecenter App? that's where I watch most of my games and the app has been really good last season an improvement over the abysmal 2013/2014 season (and no I am not talking about the Canucks's performance here :P ).

I meant down south as in the United States in general not a specific area, to them the MLB, NFL, NBA has and will always be bigger than hockey. Largely in part to networks such as ESPN who don't really cover the NHL. Since this new deal doesn't affect us in Canada is why I'm looking at it from a America point of view, obviously in Canada it's given that the NHL will be the prominent sport, I don't think there too worried about us.

There's your problem :P

Does anyone know if this affects the NHL Gamecenter App? that's where I watch most of my games and the app has been really good last season an improvement over the abysmal 2013/2014 season (and no I am not talking about the Canucks's performance here :P ).

It won't affect who we go through ( still rogers in canada), but it's overall interface with stats and other fun stuff is on it's way. Doesn't look like much difference for this coming year.

Archived