The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

D. Sedin HERO Chart

Grape

Well he was a Art Ross Trophy winner during that time and the Sedins always had an underrated two way game. But I still hate these HERO charts for so many reasons.

They don't take a ton of important contextual factors into account. Deployment, the diminishing returns of playing higher minutes, the effect that playing on the PK can have on 5 on 5 play are all ignored. They also tend to be somewhat nonsensical if a player has played up and down the lineup due to injuries.

While I will always be a huge Sedin fan, this chart is a good learning exercise because Daniel basically had everything that a HERO chart doesn't take into account go his way. Offensively biased deployment, stable linemates, no PK time and moderate minutes.

I wasn't sure if he was a good hockey player or not, so I'm glad the HERO chart is here with the insightful analysis. Whew, that was dicey for a while there.

Honestly, I think these are the kind of stats that are taken too far. Did anyone need this chart to tell them that Daniel is a great player, especially during his peak years? Anyone that needed convincing probably isn't much of a hockey fan anyway.

That is cool. Their +- (H.Sedin included) were otherworldy at the time for such a stretch. Who would have guessed that they would leap from point a game players after years of 50 points, then again to pass Naslund and Bure on best seasons ever (points wise) by adding 30+ points to their games. Those were the best years Canucks hockey have ever had (to date), two Presidents trophies, one of the best goalies in the league, excellent overall D and a great supporting cast (not to mention a game 7 in the Stanley Cup Final) and more 100+ point seasons at one time then the previous 30 years of Canucks hockey combined. We are lucky to still have both of these guys on our team, they still got it and seem durable enough to continue and would be the best second line in the league right now if we had some young stars to relieve them of their duties in a couple years. Nice post.

I'd like to see this years chart.

Daniel was robbed BLIND... absolutely blind of hart nomination this year. I'm baffled he wasn't the 3rd runner up. What a joke it was.

So who was 3rd runner up?

Carey Price...Stamkos... then...

He was robbed blind... of 3rd spot... I dunno.

I thought the Sedins had a damn decent season for what it was, don't get me wrong. They didn't look like they lost a step like the media said they would.

I can't help to think that if utilized properly, maybe the age factor won't be an issue for them until much later than people expect. They don't play a speed game afterall.

Peace!

Well he was a Hart Trophy winner during that time and the Sedins always had an underrated two way game. But I still hate these HERO charts for so many reasons.

They don't take a ton of important contextual factors into account. Deployment, the diminishing returns of playing higher minutes, the effect that playing on the PK can have on 5 on 5 play are all ignored. They also tend to be somewhat nonsensical if a player has played up and down the lineup due to injuries.

While I will always be a huge Sedin fan, this chart is a good learning exercise because Daniel basically had everything that a HERO chart doesn't take into account go his way. Offensively biased deployment, stable linemates, no PK time and moderate minutes.

Yes but can you find any other statistic to factor in any of those things you said? IMO the HERO chart is just as valid as any other advanced statistic chart/graph.

I wasn't sure if he was a good hockey player or not, so I'm glad the HERO chart is here with the insightful analysis. Whew, that was dicey for a while there.

Honestly, I think these are the kind of stats that are taken too far. Did anyone need this chart to tell them that Daniel is a great player, especially during his peak years? Anyone that needed convincing probably isn't much of a hockey fan anyway.

lol, my sincere apologies for posting this then.

Once again if you read the OP it's the MOST complete in the HISTORY of HERO charts

Pretty much agree with what is being said by the majority about these charts.

This type of chart only has utility if it has some PREDICTIVE VALIDITY. In other words, can a HERO chart in 2015 predict player performance in 2016? Can a HERO chart in 2015 be used to identify potential 'break-out' performers in 2016?

Stats are there to track a players performance whether you like it or not, not to predict someones future.

I don't think there's any hockey stat in the world to predict the future

Yes but can you find any other statistic to factor in any of those things you said? IMO the HERO chart is just as valid as any other advanced statistic chart/graph.

These charts have a few numbers on them because there isn't one WAR-type statistic for hockey. That still doesn't mean that they should omit incredibly important and relevant information like deployment

Archived