The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Deadwood, "the best drama HBO has ever made," finally getting its revival(?)

GLASSJAW

BAZ3gLD.gif

This probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but I don't care. I am excited.

For those who don't know, the series is about the lawless town of Deadwood, and its cast of (once real) characters, primarily the proprietor of a whore house, Al Swearengen -- the only character in TV history, IMO, who matches up to Tony Soprano. The show is known for its extremely complex language, politics, wit, and vulgarity (makes Game of Thrones seem childish at times). It has long-been a critical darling, and even though it was cancelled years ago, after just three seasons, critics still write articles about it.

Just in July, there was an article in the New York Times that was singing its praises: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/arts/television/revisiting-deadwood-a-lawless-prelude-to-tvs-new-golden-age.html?_r=0

New York Magazine's TV critic and the editor in chief of Roger Ebert's projects (Matt Zoller Seitz) has spent a chunk of his career writing and talking about the show's complexity. Here was a video essay he made about the show last year: (http://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/a-lie-agreed-upon-david-milchs-deadwood)

And the New Yorker refers to show's lead writer/creator Milch (known just as much for being a heroin addict Yale professor as he is great TV writer) as a "genius in the literal definition of the word" (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/02/14/the-misfit-2)

News of the show's possible return has brought on a fresh new bunch of hyperbole, with The Guardian calling it the best HBO show of all time (http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/aug/14/deadwood-is-the-best-drama-hbo-has-ever-made-it-must-be-revived).

Anyway, there's not reason to be thrilled, but certainly optimistic:

Is “Deadwood” about to return from the dead?

A spokesman for HBO confirmed to Variety that “very preliminary discussions” have been made to resurrect the Western series with a movie, though it’s unclear how serious the premium channel is about the pic.

Actor Garret Dillahunt, who played Francis Wolcott on the series that ran from 2004-06, ignited the chatter Wednesday when he tweeted: “So uh … I’m hearing credible rumors about a #Deadwood movie.”

“Come on HBO,” he wrote. “You made the ‘Entourage’ movie. Give the #Deadwood fans some closure.”

Despite the overture, fans of the Emmy-winning drama know not to hop in the saddle just yet.

HBO previously announced two “Deadwood” movies when it officially cancelled the show in 2008, but nothing ever came of them. Creator David Milch was also said to be offered a shorter fourth season of the series but quickly rejected the idea.

Still, Hollywood loves a comeback story and Milch, himself, has hinted at the possibility of a revival.

“I don’t know that the last word has been said on the subject,” he told Esquire in 2011. “I still nourish the hope that we’re going to get to do a little more work in that area.”

“Deadwood,” which starred Ian McShane as merciless saloon owner Al Swearengen, ran for three seasons before abruptly ending its run.

The acclaimed drama also starred Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker and Brad Dourif, and is widely considered to be one of HBO’s best original series alongside “The Wire” and “The Sopranos.”

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/hbo-confirms-early-talks-of-deadwood-movie-1201569178/

Is anyone else as excited as I am?

why do you think this?

Because the Wire is absolutely amazing, and is definitely HBOs greatest/bestest drama of all time.

Your opinion...and complete lack of substance thereafter to back it, is duly noted.

Yes cause yours wasnt just your opinion and was oozing with substance too, right? Haha. S2 may have been less "dramatic", but season 1 was not the most dramatic season of the series. Not that that even really matters, which show is more dramatic shouldnt be the main metric to measure which is the better drama.

Because the Wire is absolutely amazing, and is definitely HBOs greatest/bestest drama of all time.

Yes cause yours wasnt just your opinion and was oozing with substance too, right? Haha. S2 may have been less "dramatic", but season 1 was not the most dramatic season of the series. Not that that even really matters, which show is more dramatic shouldnt be the main metric to measure which is the better drama.

What does this even mean?!

I was asking why you think this, not for you to re-state that you think it. I'm legitimately curious why, since I have tried to watch The Wire probably four times now, and I always give up. personally, I find it extremely boring.

Cop dramas have never been my thing -- and when its leading critical buzzwords seem to be "realism" and "sociopolitical" my eyes start to glaze over - so it could just be a taste thing.

What does this even mean?!

It means there is more to being a good drama show than just being dramatic or just being the MOST dramatic. It's possible for shows to even be TOO dramatic, and hinder the story line and character development because of it. I'm not saying thats the case with Deadwood, mind you.

I was asking why you think this, not for you to re-state that you think it. I'm legitimately curious why, since I have tried to watch The Wire probably four times now, and I always give up. personally, I find it extremely boring.

Cop dramas have never been my thing -- and when its leading critical buzzwords seem to be "realism" and "sociopolitical" my eyes start to glaze over - so it could just be a taste thing.

The Wire is a work of Art. Somehow David Simon managed to create, depict and represent every main facet of the American city, showing the inner workings, progression and struggle of each one. I find it utterly fascinating. The character arcs, progression and acting is amazing too, and he actually used a number of real life folk from Baltimore to give it extra realism. The Wire truly transcends simple story telling or just being a drama, and instead its a voice for an entire city, every major city in America really, a voice for their struggles and hardships and a view into the reason they are what they are, and do what they do. Truly an amazing show.

Thats a quick sum up of why I think its the best drama HBO ever made.

I can see why some can find it boring, if you're not immersed into the current subplot or character development I could see how it could get boring. A lot of the main plot is much more satisfying after the fact, when you can look back and see the spiderwebs of connections and the big picture. Honestly no sarcasm, I can see why some might not like, find it hard to get into, or find it boring, its not for everyone, especially if said person isn't patient, or isnt interested in the topic.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Was heartbroken when they stopped Deadwood. I'd say IMO that it is a tie for third with Six Feet Under behind The Sopranos and The Wire. Sopranos being my personal fave ever.

Sopranos was very, very good. I'm a huge fan of that genre/sub genre and Scorsese films especially. That being said, I felt like the Sopranos got kinda repetitive/old for me later on, and I'm not sure why really. I've never really found anyone else who shared those sentiments though, so it was probably just me.

Cool, if there's a movie that'll be the kick in the pants I need to finally give the show another shot. I was really into it for the first season, kinda fizzled out over the second. I don't think it was the show itself, I was just really busy and would watch a couple episodes, then put it aside for a week or two ... eventually realized I was watching episodes with no idea what was going on, or even who some of the new characters were.

Archived