The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

About Subban's size.

My immediate thought is of J.C. Tremblay, 5'11" and 170 pounds. A key QB for many Habs CUPs and later for the WHA Nordiques.

One of my greatest regrets was that he was not able to play in the 1974 WHA-Russia series. Regrets because I was able to go. I

got to talk with Houle who regreted going to the WHA but had to because of the money offered. I suspect Tremblay was the same.

As a small d-man Tremblay excelled in a tough 6 team NHL. There is every possibility that Subban can do the same.

In J.C. Tremblays days a big player was 6'. the game has changed

Never forget Tremblay's loob shot from his own blue line that bounced in front of the tender and went in. He did it frequently.

The change in the Canuck culture appears to be on going and I agree to some extent a effort to protect smaller and less aggressive

players. Not unique to Subban but as much a reaction as to what other teams are doing as well. Long overdue IMHO.

I agree. Maybe he could be our mid round D man that turns up a winner? The Hawks had a run of luck with thei picks, why can't we?

I remember Tremblay was known for the high bouncing dump-in too. Do you think Benning drafted a couple of big tough guys to protect our smaller guys, like Subban?

I hope one day to see and Tryamkin - Subban pairing even if it's just for the comedy factor.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 8:51 AM, Boudrias said:

About Subban's size.

My immediate thought is of J.C. Tremblay, 5'11" and 170 pounds. A key QB for many Habs CUPs and later for the WHA Nordiques.

One of my greatest regrets was that he was not able to play in the 1974 WHA-Russia series. Regrets because I was able to go. I

got to talk with Houle who regreted going to the WHA but had to because of the money offered. I suspect Tremblay was the same.

As a small d-man Tremblay excelled in a tough 6 team NHL. There is every possibility that Subban can do the same.

Hab great JC Tremblay was 5'11" 170 and played from 1958 to 1979. In 1965 he would have been average height but about 12 lbs lighter than average.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 10:35 AM, Fred65 said:

In J.C. Tremblays days a big player was 6'. the game has changed

Average size for NHL players is interesting. It actually peaked in 2005. Maybe since 2005 is the year after the lockout, players were a little fatter in general that year. You can see that 10 years later, they were back to normal. :) Here's the link where I got these figures. http://hockey-graphs.com/2015/02/19/nhl-player-size-from-1917-18-to-2014-15-a-brief-look/

1965 5.11.2 182.2

1975 5.11.8 187.8

1985 6.0.3 194.7

1995 6.0.8 201.5

2005 6.1.2 206.3

2015 6.1.1 201.2

So in the last 50 years, on average, height has increased 2" while weight has gone up 19 lbs

Hab great JC Tremblay was 5'11" 170 and played from 1958 to 1979. In 1965 he would have been average height but about 12 lbs lighter than average.

Average size for NHL players is interesting. It actually peaked in 2005. Maybe since 2005 is the year after the lockout, players were a little fatter in general that year. You can see that 10 years later, they were back to normal. :) Here's the link where I got these figures. http://hockey-graphs.com/2015/02/19/nhl-player-size-from-1917-18-to-2014-15-a-brief-look/

1965 5.11.2 182.2

1975 5.11.8 187.8

1985 6.0.3 194.7

1995 6.0.8 201.5

2005 6.1.2 206.3

2015 6.1.1 201.2

So in the last 50 years, on average, height has increased 2" while weight has gone up 29 lbs

Excellent post!

Thanks for putting things into perspective Crabcakes. For us who are pretty much computer illiterate, we sure appreciate stuff like this.

1965 5.11.2 182.2

1975 5.11.8 187.8

1985 6.0.3 194.7

1995 6.0.8 201.5

2005 6.1.2 206.3

2015 6.1.1 201.2

So in the last 50 years, on average, height has increased 2" while weight has gone up 29 lbs

should read 19 Lbs.

....Jordan can do the the Savardian spinarama that Tremblay did as well.

• 5 months later...

HF Ranking Spring 2016

8. (13) Jordan Subban, D, 7.0C
Drafted 4th round, 115th overall, 2013

Jordan Subban has been a real bright spot for the Comets so far in the 2015-16 season. So much so that he moves up to eighth spot on the list. Subban currently leads the Utica Comets’ defensemen in points and is second on the team only to Brendan Gaunce, a great accomplishment for a twenty year old rookie. Given the Subban pedigree and a strong desire to succeed it is likely that Jordan will eventually get a shot at NHL action despite his slight frame. It will be his skating and puck skills that elevate Subban to the next level but his defensive game has been admirable as well so far in his young pro career. Jordan will likely never be as impactful as brother PK, but a well-rounded, puck-moving defenseman is a useful asset at any level and Jordan will eventually get his chance to show what he can do in the NHL.

Subban needs to work on the details of the game and play away from the puck. - Linden

BYE Subban, nice having  a defensemen who can get the puck through but its sad that we are being run by a pretty bad management who will likely trade you. Sounds familiar, Linden said the exact same crap with Hunter Shinkurak. 

Subban should be kept if just for entertainment value...I want to see him and Tryamkin play together...there is a full foot difference in height...that's got to confuse the opposition and provide some different tactics...like Tryamkin skating the puck out hard with Subban following in behind...just when the pressure hit's Tryamkin, instead of dekeing or passing he just drops the puck as he plows through the pressure, Subban grabs the puck and skates around the defenders that are lying on the ice with Tryamkin on top of them.

A little rugby/football strategy...

On a serious note...I doubt they trade Subban, it is his first year, they kept Shinkaruk for 2 years and traded him for a player just one year older.  I think they develop Subban at least one more year before any decision is made.

33 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Subban needs to work on the details of the game and play away from the puck. - Linden

BYE Subban, nice having  a defensemen who can get the puck through but its sad that we are being run by a pretty bad management who will likely trade you. Sounds familiar, Linden said the exact same crap with Hunter Shinkurak. 

Have you given any consideration to maybe Linden is correct with his assessment?

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Have you given any consideration to maybe Linden is correct with his assessment?

oh I believe he is a 100 percent right, but trading our for prospect with potiental for a another project player or a 2 way guy is really not going to help us. I rather have Subban be a bust and not make the NHL, atleast then we don't have the what ifs?

34 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Subban should be kept if just for entertainment value...I want to see him and Tryamkin play together...there is a full foot difference in height...that's got to confuse the opposition and provide some different tactics...like Tryamkin skating the puck out hard with Subban following in behind...just when the pressure hit's Tryamkin, instead of dekeing or passing he just drops the puck as he plows through the pressure, Subban grabs the puck and skates around the defenders that are lying on the ice with Tryamkin on top of them.

A little rugby/football strategy...

On a serious note...I doubt they trade Subban, it is his first year, they kept Shinkaruk for 2 years and traded him for a player just one year older.  I think they develop Subban at least one more year before any decision is made.

Yep, there is no reason to rush Subban.  Defense tend to take longer to develop.  If he needs more time to develop parts of his game, give it to him in Utica.

Archived