The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yes it is but if he can't crack our right side defense with its lack of depth then it might be better for him to get a fresh start via trade or waivers. If he proves himself better defensively this year then i see I'm forcing a RD trade. Probably Tanev maybe gudbranson

I don't really see how a defensive defenseman in Gudbranson would get forced out by an offensive defenseman prospect in Subban. If Subban turned into the Hulk somehow when he got angry then sure.... but that hasn't exactly happened....

• 3 weeks later...

A good article about subbans off season training.sounds like he went to biosteel this summer.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-jordan-subban-aims-knock-door/

“I’ve come a long way. I really feel this is the first summer where my defensive game has improved over the summer, so I’m excited to go to camp and show what I can do,” Subban said

Seems to agree with most of the people on here his defensive side hasn't been good.Hope good things happen to him this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Credit to @-Vintage Canuck- for finding the article:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-jordan-subban-embraces-input-from-straight-shooting-coach

It took all of one day for it to sink in — the Canucks are run by a new government.

In some pointed, refreshing real talk with media, on what was really the first day of training camp, Vancouver’s rookie head coach Travis Green revealed Jordan Subban passed the puck like an AHLer.

Wait, what?

Subban is the offensively gifted prospect who the Canucks may or not believe in. Until this week, his perceived limitations were obvious. Some didn’t think he was big enough. Others didn’t think he was reliable enough defensively. Some thought both.

Now, you can add passing to the list?

“NHL players pass the puck and it hits your stick and it sticks,” Green explained. “When AHL players pass the puck, not all of them but some, it wobbles. That is a little tiny thing to a lot of people, but it’s a big thing.”

You could say the same for Green’s comment.

For three years, former head coach Willie Desjardins positioned himself as a player’s coach in Vancouver and to that end would often be paralyzed when it came to critiquing his own team. Desjardins was aggressively protective of his players and it would seem like mollycoddling.

On that front, you can plan on a platform change from Desjardins’ “mama bear” syndrome.

Tough? Maybe.

But Green is unflinchingly honest and it’s his honesty in particular that so many of his players respond to, even the ones some of us think he’s hardest on.

Take his relationship with Subban. It may be the most revealing of Green’s interpersonal skills with players.

Subban is an offensive talent who finished ninth among all AHL defencemen last year in primary points, both at evens and on the power play. This is, uh, pretty good, especially for a 21-year-old. Still, he was a healthy scratch and for long stretches not a regular on Green’s first power-play unit in Utica, N.Y.

Was there a rift? Conflict?

Really, just the opposite.

“He’s hard on me but it doesn’t matter how much he yells at me because at the end of the day what he’s saying makes sense,” Subban said.

“I can be as mad as I want to be, but I realize if I do what he says, I’m going to be a better player. I know he does it because he sees I can be a good player.

“He pushes me to be the best player I can be. I want to help him win. He is a great coach.”

Subban spent much of his summer working out — he was deadlifting 450 pounds — and poring over video. He watched all playoff games again. He watched NHL defencemen. He watched Sidney Crosby. He watched himself. A lot.

“I’m a hard critic on myself. There were lots of times I made a mistake last year in a game when Baumer (assistant coach Nolan Baumgartner) and Green got on me,” Subban said. “In my head at the time, I wasn’t fully seeing it. But you watch video and I’m like ‘What the hell was I doing?’”

He even has videos still of when he first got to the AHL in 2015.

What did Subban look like then?

“It looked like he had no intention of playing defence at all,” Subban joked.

That’s not how Subban plays now. It sure as heck wasn’t how he played in the Canucks scoreless training camp scrimmage Thursday. He didn’t give an inch, battling Bo Horvat to a draw a few times, both in front of the net and along the boards.

It was a good first step on a journey this month that Subban hopes will lead him to playing his first NHL regular-season game.

Believe it or not, there is a chance it happens this season and if it does Subban will be thinking Green’s influence is a big reason why.

“He’s helped me so much, done so much for me,” Subban said.

“Without him and (Nolan) Baumgartner I honestly don’t know if I’d be as well rounded a player as I am.

“Travis is honest with me. I know if I’m ever unsure about something, like the way I’m playing, I can go to him and he’s going to give me an honest opinion. That’s what I like about him.

“I don’t like being a healthy scratch but sometimes it’s good to go and watch.”

And just maybe with0ut Green, Subban wouldn’t be as good a passer as he is right now.

“I really worked on passing this summer, making flat passes,” Subban said. “I just made a little adjustment and it made a huge, huge difference.

“I was watching Crosby who is the best passer in the league and I was trying to pick up little things.”

But what about those who say Subban should already be an amazing passer because he has been a playmaker in the AHL?

“People say I scored 16 goals so I must have a bullet for a shot,” Subban said. “Well, I don’t. I have a pretty good shot. It’s not the world’s hardest shot.

“But I do know what I do well and I try to find a way to use those things.”

Maybe the Canucks will let him try to find a way to use those things in Vancouver this season — even for a game.

On 9/15/2017 at 0:45 PM, J.R. said:

"That’s not how Subban plays now. It sure as heck wasn’t how he played in the Canucks scoreless training camp scrimmage Thursday. He didn’t give an inch, battling Bo Horvat to a draw a few times, both in front of the net and along the boards."

That's a refreshing tid bit to read there. Especially after being called out by green.  Hopefully he's improved much in that aspect.

This guy should be a forward. What the hell is he doing as a dman. He is aweful as a defender beside the fact he can rush the ice. Dangerous as heck in the offensive zone.  Clueless with zero effort in his own zone. No idea what they should do with him.  Don't think he gets that he is a defend men and his primary goal is to defend and stop goals. He could be great but I think he's aweful. 

he's not smart enough to be a nhl defenceman, not good enough offensively to be a nhl top 6 winger, and not physically capable of grinding along the boards enough to be a nhl bottom 6 winger, so what does that make him?

not a nhl player. 

Still think he needs the majority of this season in Utica but I actually thought he looked much improved yesterday. His D-positioning and battle where MUCH better (while still needing improvement) IMO.

That said, the whole D was a hot mess most of that game. I'm interested to see how he fairs with more practice and structure.

I thought Subban looked like our best defencemen last night which is saying a lot, he stood out a in a lot of right ways, but still made a few mistakes, it was his first real game and it was a team tossed together so I'm fairly certain he can be a little better.  I honestly think he's going to be our 7/8th d this year 

1 hour ago, BO_Scorvat said:

I thought Subban looked like our best defencemen last night which is saying a lot, he stood out a in a lot of right ways, but still made a few mistakes, it was his first real game and it was a team tossed together so I'm fairly certain he can be a little better.  I honestly think he's going to be our 7/8th d this year 

I think he's got a shot at it, but he might be better starting in Utica and being on call to do injury replacement and get into situations where he plays meaningful minutes.

Largely due to travel schedule, this team goes through D, faster than Trump flip flops on issues. 

Because of how much we deal with injuries, I think its realistic that he gets 30 - 40 games this year on 3rd pairing, plus more prime playing time in Utica playing top pairing and applying what he is learning on his call ups.

This kid is really strong, an incredible skater, shooter and handler. I don't think he's that far away if he can just improve a little more in his own end. He needs to be able to control much larger and not wind up in a situation where he loses his confidence.

If we gradually start transitioning him to the NHL this year, I think he'll be a much better D for it.

10 hours ago, nitti999 said:

This guy should be a forward. What the hell is he doing as a dman. He is aweful as a defender beside the fact he can rush the ice. Dangerous as heck in the offensive zone.  Clueless with zero effort in his own zone. No idea what they should do with him.  Don't think he gets that he is a defend men and his primary goal is to defend and stop goals. He could be great but I think he's aweful. 

I actually like him as a D, I think he brings a LOT to that position. He's really good at getting pucks through to the net.

I completely understand why he was sent to Utica last year, he needed at least another year learning how to do proper coverage in his own end of the rink.

Other small D have made it in the NHL, with the skill set that he has, there's no reason why he can't do it too

I think he may need to be converted to a winger and a PP point player cause he plays the point well with getting shots through..

According to our coaching staff his weaknesses are his size, battle on boards against bigger players, his defensive positioning and apparently his passing? (Heard that on radio comment by travis green..)

Call me crazy but think it would be a wise decision for his future. Or if we can get a good return on him in a trade this year. Just don't see him working out here as a dman.

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think he may need to be converted to a winger and a PP point player cause he plays the point well with getting shots through..

According to our coaching staff his weaknesses are his size, battle on boards against bigger players, his defensive positioning and apparently his passing? (Heard that on radio comment by travis green..)

Call me crazy but think it would be a wise decision for his future. Or if we can get a good return on him in a trade this year. Just don't see him working out here as a dman.

Moving him to forward does not fix any of those things. It just moves those problems to the other end of the ice and and basically cancels his strengths of skating the puck from the D, walking the line and getting his shot through from the line.

He simply needs to keep working on his deficiencies in the position he's in and hope he can become serviceable enough at his deficiencies that they stop entirely negating his positives at D.

Just now, J.R. said:

Moving him to forward does not fix any of those things. It just moves those problems to the other end of the ice and and basically cancels his strengths of skating the puck from the D, walking the line and getting his shot through from the line.

He simply needs to keep working on his deficiencies in the position he's in and hope he can become serviceable enough at his deficiencies that they stop negating his positives at D.

Great points, his board battles as a winger would be very similar.

Just frustrated I guess, hopefully he gets to where he needs to be! And its frustrating thinking he could potentially be an effective NHL PP Point Man but his game needs to improve a lot to get a roster spot to get that opportunity.

People need to stop assuming that just because a defenceman struggles with the defensive side of the game doesn't mean they should be a forward.

This comes down to him needing to learn the position better.  If it's been an issue this long and continues to be an issue, it's an intellectual problem and he can't seem to think the game at an NHL level. Iv noticed in what iv seen so far that he has improved a bit which is positive but I just don't think it will be enough. 

He isn't a very adaptable player. Changes positions would make it so much worst for him. 

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Won't be long, but looks like Chatfield might move up to push him further down the depth chart.

I still don't think canucks management knows what they have in Jordan yet.  Wouldn't be surprised if they deal him off for a safer-nhl ready player

I think this is probably the most likely scenario however I think they know what they have in Subban which is a offensive minded Dman that cannot play D very well and is of very small stature... Nothing against him and wish him the best but I think his days are numbered with this franchise which is the same way I feel with Rodin. 

Archived