The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

On 10/3/2016 at 3:12 PM, Neversummer said:

Since Green likes him so much, Subban will make lineup when Green becomes head coach.  Just wait a year folks.

How does that work? It is JB that is sending him down. Willie has input but JB is the guy who decides. Read JR's post above, He puts it well enough. People need to stop moaning about every damn player who is not good enough to stick and is sent back to Utica. 

The AHL is cram packed with guys who score freely and can't hack it in the big show, hell we had one of the best, he was called Sanguinetti.

All this 'wait a year" stuff is just bull$&!# posted by people who don't see the simple connect between horrendous injuries and poor league placement. How did Green do last year by the way?

• 2 weeks later...

Two powerplay goals for Subban today in a 5-2 loss to Toronto. He's been in on all four Utica goals so far this season, as he assisted on both of yesterday's goals too. There have been a few defensive gaffes to go along with the offense, so its safe to say he could be pretty integral to the Comets' fate this season, good and bad. He needs to be paired with a better defensive minded defenseman, preferably a seasoned vet he can learn from - unfortunately the Comets have no such player on the left side.

2 goals and 2 assist in 2 games against a Cup contending team. Wow. I know his defence seems shaky and he isn't physically strong enough to play against men in the NHL, but we've got a real gem in Subban and have to try our best to round out his game. Even if he can't, having that sort of offensive prowess on this team would be huge. Stecher is more of an all-rounded defenceman obviously but if we can pair Subban with a shutdown guy, even someone like Tryamkin, we'll have a good weapon to use on the PP/final minute of play etc.

Hope we don't trade away this guy or I fear it'll be another Forsling situation.

50 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

2 goals and 2 assist in 2 games against a Cup contending team. Wow. I know his defence seems shaky and he isn't physically strong enough to play against men in the NHL, but we've got a real gem in Subban and have to try our best to round out his game. Even if he can't, having that sort of offensive prowess on this team would be huge. Stecher is more of an all-rounded defenceman obviously but if we can pair Subban with a shutdown guy, even someone like Tryamkin, we'll have a good weapon to use on the PP/final minute of play etc.

Hope we don't trade away this guy or I fear it'll be another Forsling situation.

Depends if Subban can round out his game. 

There are lots of players who can make it at the AHL level, only never to quite grasp and "get it" at the NHL level. We really don't need to look very far for an example in Etem. I'm hoping that Subban can figure it out. He's still young at 21 years old. Still has some time on his side, but hoping that he doesn't take advantage of that "time". It's too bad that he's so damn small at 5'8/5'9. 

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Depends if Subban can round out his game. 

There are lots of players who can make it at the AHL level, only never to quite grasp and "get it" at the NHL level. We really don't need to look very far for an example in Etem. I'm hoping that Subban can figure it out. He's still young at 21 years old. Still has some time on his side, but hoping that he doesn't take advantage of that "time". It's too bad that he's so damn small at 5'8/5'9. 

This is true. There are plenty of smaller defencemen in the NHL and with the way the league is trending towards more skilled, puck movers on the back end, I'd be happy to see how he goes next season as long as he's playing with a veteran shutdown defenceman. It's likely Stecher will get some NHL games this season on rotation with Larsen and even when injuries hit, but Tryamkin is probably the #2 call up right now. Next season however depending on what happens with our veterans, I'd hope Subban at least gets an entire pre-season. Defence-aside, these offensive numbers he's putting up are scary good.

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This is true. There are plenty of smaller defencemen in the NHL and with the way the league is trending towards more skilled, puck movers on the back end, I'd be happy to see how he goes next season as long as he's playing with a veteran shutdown defenceman. It's likely Stecher will get some NHL games this season on rotation with Larsen and even when injuries hit, but Tryamkin is probably the #2 call up right now. Next season however depending on what happens with our veterans, I'd hope Subban at least gets an entire pre-season. Defence-aside, these offensive numbers he's putting up are scary good.

yeah. agreed on Tryamkin. Right now he's the 7th defenseman on the roster. unless more defenseman go down with injuries. im pretty sure that Biega would fill in and then it would be Stetcher. but if you've got three out of the top six out with injuries. the team isn't going to do well. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Frail Granny said:

The only question in regards to Subban is: What will the canucks get in return, when he's traded this year? 

Although I believe Subban will get traded, I still think he's going to be a decent NHL player at some point. If he doesn't get traded before Benning gets fired, I expect him to be given a shot. Right now there is way too big of a log jam on D for him to even get a sniff unless injuries decimate the lineup. I can see them sending Larsen down to the minors to keep Stecher up, but I don't see any universe where Subban slots in unless he gets kept as the 7th D next year when/if they lose Sbisa to expansion.

5 hours ago, Frail Granny said:

The only question in regards to Subban is: What will the canucks get in return, when he's traded this year? 

Nothing. Because outside of this forum nobody considers him an NHL prospect. If he is traded, it will be as a lateral move for another fringe AHL player.

The kid has negligible NHL upside.

Same garbage as last year.  

The guy sucks at everything but putting up points.    One of the worst Dmen I've seen.  

There was an interview with green on 1040 a week ago where he was talking about Subban.   

He was asked if he will make the NHL, and Green just beat around the bush saying that you can score all the points you want, but a defence man needs to play D. He also went on to say that he had benched Subban this year for his terrible play, and will probably do it again this season.  

When are people going to take the blinders off?? 

Sure, he is a Subban.  Doesn't mean squat.  

You know there was another Federov, Gretzky, Lindros, etc......

I find myself starting to hope we trade this kid, just so fans can finally cool their jets. 

50 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

The guy sucks at everything but putting up points.    One of the worst Dmen I've seen.  

There was an interview with green on 1040 a week ago where he was talking about Subban.   

He was asked if he will make the NHL, and Green just beat around the bush saying that you can score all the points you want, but a defence man needs to play D. He also went on to say that he had benched Subban this year for his terrible play, and will probably do it again this season.  

I find myself starting to hope we trade this kid, just so fans can finally cool their jets. 

I think you need to cool your jets. No one seems to be claiming this kid will be a norris defensman or even a top 4 guy. So fine. you win. he sucks ass. do you suggest with him? is it worth trading him? clearly not. Utica has shallow d depth. also according to you he's the worst defensman on the &^@#ing planet and it's so obvious so why would a team give up anything for him?

I honestly don't understand what you accomplish by visiting this thread and bashing him. do you get off on it? 

We know your opinion of him. we know his difficulties in his own end. we know he's a Longshot to be an nhl regular. now kindly shut up.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Its been a while. There are 2 things I never get sick of. Perogies and making fun of Jordan Subban.  This offensive juggernaut was one of the first cuts on D this training camp. If I was him I woulda just packed her in at that point.  I'm shocked that some people still believe he can make the NHL. This thread should actually be locked because he isn't even a possibility anymore therefore not a prospect. It's not even that he is short as much as he just sucks. 

Remeber everyone salivating over his squatting vids, hi 5ing each other and saying stuff like "see LaBamba/Drummerboy we told you" hahaha you sure showed us guys. 

As far as trade value he has none, he is AHL currency now. We will get an equally useless prospect in return nothing more. He isn't even worth a draft pick so why bother trading him? Just let him play out his contract and wonder off into obscurity. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

I think you need to cool your jets. No one seems to be claiming this kid will be a norris defensman or even a top 4 guy. So fine. you win. he sucks ass. do you suggest with him? is it worth trading him? clearly not.

Utica has shallow d depth.

So why waste a spot on someone who doesn't play D? Maybe trade him for another failed prospect with a little more useful skill set. 

also according to you he's the worst defensman on the &^@#ing planet and it's so obvious so why would a team give up anything for him?

He does have incredible offensive talent. 

Maybe someone has the strong d core than can make up for his SHORT-comings. 

Some people don't mind a player like Subban or Larsen.  

IMO, they have no place in the game. 

I honestly don't understand what you accomplish by visiting this thread and bashing him. do you get off on it? 

Gotta get off on something. 

We know your opinion of him. we know his difficulties in his own end. we know he's a Longshot to be an nhl regular. now kindly shut up.

Never. 

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I don't watch Utica games much. Going on statistics alone. He has 7 points in 6 games and is a -2. If he was such a tire fire on defense, wouldn't he have a much lower +-? (I know how +- means nothing at all but still..) I mean a lot of his points come off the powerplay. Statistically he seems fine. Sure he needs a partner who can help him out, but I honestly think we need someone like Subban on the big team right now. We have tons of defense responsible players and absolutely no one who can score. 

I agree though. After this season you either promote him and see how he does in the bigs or you trade him. If management hates his defensive skills so much, then they should cut losses and try to get something back for him. 

What are his possesions statistics like?

On 2016-04-05 at 2:16 PM, Aircool said:

This has nothing to do with you expressing your negative opinion of him... People just want you to shut up. We get it already... On the bright side, if he is any degree of successful in the NHL, I'm going to laugh at you publicly on these boards every day, several times, until you or I die.

Still waiting. 

Archived