The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

1 minute ago, Fakename70 said:

Again, using Hutton as the example, CDC'rs apparently have let his offensive contributions mask his limits as an actual defensively reponsible defenceman. 

But, it's Subban you're worried about?

Subban is worse. That's all I'm saying.

Saying 'Hutton isn't great defensively either' doesn't magically make Subban his equal. I honestly don't even know why people bring up Hutton.

No, Hutton isn't a defensive stalwart. Subban is still worse.

I am interested in seeing what the Canucks fans opinion of Jordan Subban will be when he finally gets to play in Vancouver which may or may not be this year.  

He is a lightning rod in Utica and my educated guess on what the honest results of a poll would be are....

10% love him and understand that his defense is a work in progress.

30% hate him with a passion and blame him for everything that goes wrong for the Comets.

60% just want to see him converted to a forward.

I'm in that 10% minority even though my posts on here are critical of his defense.  I still love what he brings to the table but understand that he needs to improve defensively before he is ready to move on to the next level.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

I am interested in seeing what the Canucks fans opinion of Jordan Subban will be when he finally gets to play in Vancouver which may or may not be this year.  

He is a lightning rod in Utica and my educated guess on what the honest results of a poll would be are....

30% hate him with a passion and blame him for everything that goes wrong for the Comets.

I'm in that 10% minority even though my posts on here are critical of his defense.  I still love what he brings to the table but understand that he needs to improve defensively before he is ready to move on to the next level.

I've been in the 60% for quite a while now. I think he's wasting his time on the blueline.

45 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I liked him when we drafted him. I'm just getting tired of people complaining about him lol.  when he's ready he will get a chance.  by saying he deserves a chance before hes ready just makes him think he's right.  (if he doesn't change he will be traded)  ur only shooting yourself in your own foot if u keep dragging it up.  

Just watched some of the highlights of the Superskills. For this guy to be able to shoot 99.7 MPH at 5'9" is insane. Imagine if he was as tall as Edler. I swear, if we never give him any sort of shot, we are insane.

26 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Just watched some of the highlights of the Superskills. For this guy to be able to shoot 99.7 MPH at 5'9" is insane. Imagine if he was as tall as Edler. I swear, if we never give him any sort of shot, we are insane.

Really? That's absurd. 

7 hours ago, Nigerian said:

Really? That's absurd. 

Height has little to do with it. Like in most sports, it's all about timing. However a tall guy with great timing will usually beat a smaller guy. Too much emphasis is put on how hard a shot is imo - it has far more to do with accurate placing.

On 2017-02-26 at 1:20 PM, Salmonberries said:

I also am hoping he gets into a game so the fans get an actual idea of where he's really at defensively.

perfect year to do that and they wont.Don't think hes gonna be on the Canucks next year.

On 28/02/2017 at 0:52 AM, flickyoursedin said:

No better time to give Subban a look then in this season right now. I mean its not like we're fighting for a playoff spot. May as well see what this kid can do in the NHL when these games mean relatively little to us.

when you're training a puppy and he takes a dump on your carpet, do you give him a treat?

subban has been called up and allowed to collect an nhl pay cheque while watching and learning what's required at the nhl level a couple of times this season. letting him play would be reinforcing negative habits. 

edit: if you're content with him being marc-andre bergeron, sure, throw him in the lineup. if you want him to actually have a chance at becoming an nhl defenceman, he doesn't play a game until he can consistently demonstrate that he can win at least as many battles as he loses and is positionally sound. 

2 hours ago, Frail Granny said:

All arguments against Subban can be defeated with one word: Larsen.

even if, as you imply, larsen is as bad as or worse than subban defensively (an implication I highly disagree with), larsen isn't a 21 year old prospect that the team is hoping can develop into a regular. 

larsen is the ghost of christmas future if you stick subban in the lineup undercooked. 

My guess is that next year he gets a few games and gets signed. It's him and McEneny that are the push from the AHL and fill the age gap. We've seen in consecutive years that we need to go 10 or 11 D-men deep, so there's no reason to not sign him next year when his elc is up. People are confused in thinking everything needs to happen right now for the kid. He won't be the first player to play out his elc in the minors.

15 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

My guess is that next year he gets a few games and gets signed. It's him and McEneny that are the push from the AHL and fill the age gap. We've seen in consecutive years that we need to go 10 or 11 D-men deep, so there's no reason to not sign him next year when his elc is up. People are confused in thinking everything needs to happen right now for the kid. He won't be the first player to play out his elc in the minors.

Agreed, leaving some defensemen down in Utica is good for Utica also. Helps Demko transition as well as making the team better overall. Subban will get his look next year and may be able to stick if he plays well defensively. The Canucks have notoriously bad luck when it comes to injuries so don't be surprised when he gets his shot. In my mind though there are a few players before him. Next years D corp excluding one of Sbisa, Tanev, Edler due to a trade or expansion could look like this.

Assume Sbisa is gone.

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Stetcher

Juolevi-Biega

Pedan-McEneny

Subban

Archived