The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban | D

X-Man

On 4/2/2017 at 11:21 PM, Jiggs50 said:

But Larsen got a shot for that exact reason and he was terrible. 

Nope. Larsen had played in the NHL before and done well in the KHL. We moved a minor pick for him hoping he would work and he didn't. Far different than gifting Subban time while he's developing and trying to improve his defensive game.

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Benning , when asked why Subban didnt play, pretty much said he didnt earn it. 

Said they are always in contact with green , and the players that earned the call up played. 

Ouch. 

McEneny out played him this year.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

McEneny out played him this year.

Ya , not saying he did deserve it , it just sounded brutally honest. Lol. One of those answers u know is a big ouch to Subban, even though Subban probably deserved that response. 

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Ya , not saying he did deserve it , it just sounded brutally honest. Lol. One of those answers u know is a big ouch to Subban, even though Subban probably deserved that response. 

He still has work to do. I don't know why that is surprising to anyone?

Good thing he still has development time to do so.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He still has work to do. I don't know why that is surprising to anyone?

Good thing he still has development time to do so.

Exactly, defence man take longer to develop and Subban is doing so by all reports. If he wasn't making progress then one would need to be concerned. Let him grow and develop. We'll see him next season if he earns it and with injuries.

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Benning , when asked why Subban didnt play, pretty much said he didnt earn it. 

Said they are always in contact with green , and the players that earned the call up played. 

Ouch. 

If he cant defend, he cant defend. I dont see the issue. He needs work defensively, let him develop that part of his game in AHL

I get he still needs to work on his defensive game, but I feel he needs atleast 1 game in the show to see just how much he needs to improve his defensive game. 

He could also surprise and not look any worse defensively than Larsen.... 

Hopefully he's atleast the first call up next season.

10 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I get he still needs to work on his defensive game, but I feel he needs atleast 1 game in the show to see just how much he needs to improve his defensive game. 

He could also surprise and not look any worse defensively than Larsen.... 

Hopefully he's atleast the first call up next season.

No you and other fans just want to see that one game. As great as it would be he already knows his defensive deficiencies and has said as much. Don't you think with the lack of scoring on D this year and Benning searching for his PP quarterback, that if he thought Subban ready he would have brought him up? Benning is doing the right thing by leaving prospects like Virtanen, McEneny and Subban in the minors. They need to develop and the AHL is the place to do it. To make a long sentence shorter, Subban will get his chance, when he's ready.

12 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

No you and other fans just want to see that one game. As great as it would be he already knows his defensive deficiencies and has said as much. Don't you think with the lack of scoring on D this year and Benning searching for his PP quarterback, that if he thought Subban ready he would have brought him up? Benning is doing the right thing by leaving prospects like Virtanen, McEneny and Subban in the minors. They need to develop and the AHL is the place to do it. To make a long sentence shorter, Subban will get his chance, when he's ready.

And that's all it is, period.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

And that's all it is, period.

This whole notion that Subban isn't good enough for a 4/5 game tryout is ridiculous.

This is the same team that employs Philip Larsen on the blue line, give me a break. This double standard is so stupid - veterans get automatic jobs whereas youngers need to "force their way up" or "earn their spot". In order to develop, you need opportunities... Subban is probably better than Larsen at this point.

Subban at least deserves a look in the NHL to see where he's at, period.

He might be bad defensively - but,

1) He could still be used on the PP or in offensive zone starts - lessening his defensive responsibility

2) He could be paired with a smart defender like Tanev.  Look how much better Edler plays when his ass gets saved by Tanev

3) Considering his obvious offensive potential, I imagine he would make up for his defensive gaffs with the points he could potentially put up

How the above three work out really cannot be realized unless he is at least given the opportunity.  If we play him in the NHL and he fails, then he might not have an NHL career.  But if we don't play him, he have an NHL career either.  So might as well give the kid a shot.

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

This whole notion that Subban isn't good enough for a 4/5 game tryout is ridiculous.

This is the same team that employs Philip Larsen on the blue line, give me a break. This double standard is so stupid - veterans get automatic jobs whereas youngers need to "force their way up" or "earn their spot". In order to develop, you need opportunities... Subban is probably better than Larsen at this point.

Subban hasn't proved himself at the AHL level so how do you expect him to do so at the NHL level. Kids got promise but needs to develop more. Larsen was one of the best defensive producers in Europe and deserved/wanted a shot to prove himself in the NHL. He failed, but no loss in trying, especially if he'd turned out as desired. Do you want Subban to come up here and get massively outplayed? Just imagine what that would do to his confidence and the chain effects thereof. Let Subban grow as a player in the AHL and when he's ready he'll get his look.

Too many people in here worship the Provies, I think... 

If your argument for Subban to play is "but he can't be worse than Larsen!" then you don't really have an argument at all. For one, that's nothing impressive and Larsen was a regular scratch once the defense got mostly healthy. It also says that you're great at looking things up on hockeydb but you haven't watched Subban play at all, or you'd know where he is in relation to Larsen.

I've posted this before, but I believe Subban will get some call-up time in the upcoming season and that it'll be the 2018-19 season where he gets his shot to make the team assuming his development continues on the right path. There's nothing wrong with letting defensemen take longer to develop, and just because he's played two years in the AHL doesn't mean he's being held back. He's got great offensive talent but his defensive troubles are more awareness-related than size-related and that's something he has to work on.

Its easier to take a forward with good offensive numbers and put them in an NHL lineup because they can be part of the crowd and focus on scoring; its tougher to do the same with a defenseman because you can't afford to let them think offense all the time and generally if they make a mistake it has greater implications.

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Subban hasn't proved himself at the AHL level so how do you expect him to do so at the NHL level. Kids got promise but needs to develop more. Larsen was one of the best defensive producers in Europe and deserved/wanted a shot to prove himself in the NHL. He failed, but no loss in trying, especially if he'd turned out as desired. Do you want Subban to come up here and get massively outplayed? Just imagine what that would do to his confidence and the chain effects thereof. Let Subban grow as a player in the AHL and when he's ready he'll get his look.

Double standard and stulidity of fans are unreal.

Larsen wants a chance in the NHL, therefore give it to him.

Subban's been producing great numbers in the AHL as a defenseman. Larsen by no means dominated defensively in Europe.

You think 4/5 NHL games will make or break a player? This is ridiculous... you think 4 games in the NHL will lead to a chain reaction of effects.

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

He might be bad defensively - but,

1) He could still be used on the PP or in offensive zone starts - lessening his defensive responsibility

2) He could be paired with a smart defender like Tanev.  Look how much better Edler plays when his ass gets saved by Tanev

3) Considering his obvious offensive potential, I imagine he would make up for his defensive gaffs with the points he could potentially put up

How the above three work out really cannot be realized unless he is at least given the opportunity.  If we play him in the NHL and he fails, then he might not have an NHL career.  But if we don't play him, he have an NHL career either.  So might as well give the kid a shot.

1. It's harder to shelter D because there's only three pairings vs four lines like there are with forwards. You can't give a third pairing 5 minutes.
  2. Tanev and Subban are both right handed. Do you have someone you trust as much on the left side to pair him with, or are you thinking he'll make his NHL debut on the left?
  3. You'd be surprised, even at the AHL level. He does score but has trouble in his own zone for sure. That will only be exposed even more in the NHL.

He needs some work, but he has time.

10 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Subban's been producing great numbers in the AHL as a defenseman. Larsen by no means dominated defensively in Europe.

You think 4/5 NHL games will make or break a player? This is ridiculous... you think 4 games in the NHL will lead to a chain reaction of effects.

Let me refer you to a previous post of mine:

On 4/5/2017 at 0:07 AM, elvis15 said:

Nope. Larsen had played in the NHL before and done well in the KHL. We moved a minor pick for him hoping he would work and he didn't. Far different than gifting Subban time while he's developing and trying to improve his defensive game.

But feel free to quantify your statements of Subban and Larsen if you really think you have an argument.

39 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

haha the only one showing stupidity is you right now.

Larsen deserved a shot to play in the NHL again and if he'd succeeded you'd be singing a whole different story.

Subbans been putting great numbers up in the AHL, but defensively(which is his main job). he is not up to standard for the NHL yet.

If Subban gets beat badly in the NHL that could hurt his confidence or it could ignite a fire under his ass haha So the best course for him is to come up when he's ready. Not just for fans amusement. 

Oh and if you want proof for guys that can put up great numbers in the AHL and then not make the NHL look at Shinkaruk and guys like that. Numbers don't tell the whole story and dictate whether a player is ready or not.

8 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

Hmm... That's exactly how it should work. Until a rookie outperforms a veteran, the veteran gets the spot every time.

Archived