The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Dan Hamhuis

If we're going to trade Hamhuis, where would you trade him and for whom? For me, I would propose trading him to Los Angeles for Milan Lucic.

Yes, it sure is inconceivable though, they would trade Milan Lucic after acquiring him in a trade... but realistically, for everyone they could offer, it seems to make the most sense, unless you maybe take draft picks or package Hamhuis with picks or someone else for Carter. Either way, Hamhuis would greatly benefit Los Angeles, where they last I checked, have only six skaters on the blueline (nhlnumbers.com). Despite his decline here, he could rebound in Los Angeles, where he doesn't have to be the number one blueliner. His efficient and fairly physical play and leadership would help them rebound and make playoffs. For Hamhuis himself, Los Angeles probably is his best bet to shoot to win a Cup. Anaheim and Tampa are already laregly stocked for blueliners. Chicago is to the cap limit and already in place.

For us, well, if we are offered Milan Lucic - highly doubt we will though - he's someone we set our sights on for ages. He's BC born and considered the best power forward in the game today, and his presence would totally change the lineup, make us more aggressive. Little else needed to say, except Vancouver long wanted him.

So that's my idea, what Vancouver could do with Hamhuis... although I personally would not trade him.

Trevor Linden was on TSN 1040 and referred indirectly that Guys like the Sedins, Burrows and Hamhuis are leaders in the room and help cultivate the culture of hardwork and professionalism. Having these guys around helps bring up the youth that will be infused in the next few years.

Meaning that Hamhuis is likely to be resigned to continue that trend of keeping the team competitive and mentor the younger talent that are promoting.

But If traded, I would like to see him dealt to the New York Islanders as he would really complement there top 4 d that has Hamonic, Boychuk and Leddy, plus they have a legitimate shot to be a very competitive team. He would really solidify that dcore and they have the cap space to add him throughout the season and they have many young assets that are riping either in Bridgeport or in Junior.

Actually a really great idea. Nice thinking, If L.A. Is scoring enough and thinks their forwards can be decent physically and on the forecheck, they would look at a Hamhuis for Lucic Trade, very good for their sort of uncertain D. Although the idea of Hamhuis who's an outstanding 2-way D men and person off the ice, in a Kings jersey... Ugh

Trevor Linden was on TSN 1040 and referred indirectly that Guys like the Sedins, Burrows and Hamhuis are leaders in the room and help cultivate the culture of hardwork and professionalism. Having these guys around helps bring up the youth that will be infused in the next few years.

Meaning that Hamhuis is likely to be resigned to continue that trend of keeping the team competitive and mentor the younger talent that are promoting.

Doubt it. He was also asked about not letting upcoming FA's walk away for nothing, specifically Hamhuis and Vrbata, and agreed. Sounded like he was leaning on getting a return like the question asked.

But If traded, I would like to see him dealt to the New York Islanders as he would really complement there top 4 d that has Hamonic, Boychuk and Leddy, plus they have a legitimate shot to be a very competitive team. He would really solidify that dcore and they have the cap space to add him throughout the season and they have many young assets that are riping either in Bridgeport or in Junior.

Well, the only thing that will make that work is if the kids are inserted into the lineup while the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis are still key guys and not old timers ready to collect a pension cheque.

So Bo, Sven, Linden, Ronalds, and Frankie will be the beneficiaries of rubbing shoulders with Hank, Dank, Burr and Hammy. Wouldn't it be great if Gaunce, Virtanen, McCann, Cassels and Shinkaruk could also benefit from being around the old hounds?

I wouldn't trade Hamhuis to LA for Lucic...but I would most certainly trade Vrbata for Lucic. Doubt LA would ever make that deal.

Honestly I think it is kind of a waste to trade him to LA for Lucic.

Lucic has been vocal in the media about the possibility of signing here next off season, no point in trading an asset in Hamhuis that we can possibly get a young prospect and a pick out of.

I think Hamhuis is a deadline deal.....And these proposals are to teams that i think can use a Veteran Dman, and most likey Hamhuis could be the best Dman available. also using the Sekera deal of McKeowan and a 1st as an outline. As well as Hammer 50% retained.

To Anaheim straight up for Shea Theodore

To Dallas straight up for Julius Honka.......or for Jason Dickinson and a 3rd.

To NYI for Ryan Pulock and a 2nd.

To Columbus In any deal involving one of Kerby Rychel or Oliver Bjorkstrand

Like I said all trade may need tweaking but adding a piece on either side could get them done.

Anaheim made moves and added Stewart, Santorelli, Hagelin and Horcoff up front there Back end is still young and could use some playoff experience.

Dallas went out and got Sharp for there top line as well as securing Niemi giving a solid tandem in net. There weak spot IMO has to be there back end. This could also be a team that could look at adding Vrbata at a deadline to play with Spezza and Nishushkin and bump Hemsky to the 3rd line.

NYI has one of the youngest and best forward groups in the NHL, if Halak plays like he did last year no question they are a top team in the east again. Having Boychuk, Leddy, Hamonic and Hamhuis as your top 4 D seems like a solid group rounded out by De Hann and Strait.

Columbus again is a team like Dallas they made moves and got Brandon Sadd, they were pushing for the playoffs last year but personally I think injuries and there Blue line slowed them down. They could look to improve depending on where they are at come playoffs.

If Hamhuis gets traded I'd like it to be for young players and/or picks. Lucic is younger, but not quite young enough to be a trade target IMO.

^My thoughts.

I suspect Hammer will be either be given an extension during the year or (more likely) be re-signed next summer. He'll stabilize things during the growing years and give some valuable leadership to our younger guys.

Honestly I think it is kind of a waste to trade him to LA for Lucic.

Lucic has been vocal in the media about the possibility of signing here next off season, no point in trading an asset in Hamhuis that we can possibly get a young prospect and a pick out of.

I think Hamhuis is a deadline deal.....And these proposals are to teams that i think can use a Veteran Dman, and most likey Hamhuis could be the best Dman available. also using the Sekera deal of McKeowan and a 1st as an outline. As well as Hammer 50% retained.

To Anaheim straight up for Shea Theodore

To Dallas straight up for Julius Honka.......or for Jason Dickinson and a 3rd.

To NYI for Ryan Pulock and a 2nd.

To Columbus In any deal involving one of Kerby Rychel or Oliver Bjorkstrand

Like I said all trade may need tweaking but adding a piece on either side could get them done.

Anaheim made moves and added Stewart, Santorelli, Hagelin and Horcoff up front there Back end is still young and could use some playoff experience.

Dallas went out and got Sharp for there top line as well as securing Niemi giving a solid tandem in net. There weak spot IMO has to be there back end. This could also be a team that could look at adding Vrbata at a deadline to play with Spezza and Nishushkin and bump Hemsky to the 3rd line.

NYI has one of the youngest and best forward groups in the NHL, if Halak plays like he did last year no question they are a top team in the east again. Having Boychuk, Leddy, Hamonic and Hamhuis as your top 4 D seems like a solid group rounded out by De Hann and Strait.

Columbus again is a team like Dallas they made moves and got Brandon Sadd, they were pushing for the playoffs last year but personally I think injuries and there Blue line slowed them down. They could look to improve depending on where they are at come playoffs.

I've already made a Proposal for Hamhuis come the deadline and for Vrbata. The Islanders and Senaors are the only fits I'm quite certain, Islanders wouldn't re-sign him if we Traded him there so we could get him back come Free Agency. They are already in cap trouble, trying to re-sign Nelson while worrying about next year and having respective RFA's and UFA's in Okposo, R. Strome, Nielsen, Grabner, Cizikas, and M. Martin. I can tell you your not getting Pulock at all for Hamhuis. And the Stars would quickly deny if you asked for Honka. Why does Dallas need Hamhuis or D at all? Patrik Nemeth is healthy now and is a very large and physical shutdown D-man who's ready to help the Stars in a bigger role, Oleksiak is on the verge, like Corrado with us. And once again, Anaheim is NOT trading Theodore for Hamhuis, they wouldn't give up him for Hamhuis, they don't need anymore D, they're set. It would be more like Montour and a 2nd.

Goligoski-Klingberg

Oduya-Demers

Jokypakka-Jo. Benn

Nemeth

Oleksiak/Honka

Fowler-Lindholm

Vatanen-Bieksa

Stoner-Despres

Holzer, Manson/S. O'Brien

Throw him to Anaheim and let them completely rebuild our 2011 team.

TO ANA: Dan Hamhuis + 3rd round pick

TO VAN: Shea Theodore

Draft a defenceman with our 1st round pick in 2016.

Sign Brent Seabrook.

TO BOS: Jared McCann + Luca Sbisa

TO VAN: Joe Morrow

Edler - Seabrook

Morrow - Tanev

Theodore - Corrado

Subban

1st round 2016 Pick

One puck moving defenceman to one shutdown defenceman on each pairing. That's how the successful teams do it these days. Seabrook gives us a mentor to play on the right side and teach Morrow and Theodore how to win in the playoffs. Morrow and Theodore are arguably two of the best left handed young defensive prospects in the NHL right now which is why they would cost us Hamhuis + Sbisa + McCann + 3rd if not more, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Throw him to Anaheim and let them completely rebuild our 2011 team.

TO ANA: Dan Hamhuis + 3rd round pick

TO VAN: Shea Theodore

Draft a defenceman with our 1st round pick in 2016.

Sign Brent Seabrook.

TO BOS: Jared McCann + Luca Sbisa

TO VAN: Joe Morrow

Edler - Seabrook

Morrow - Tanev

Theodore - Corrado

Subban

1st round 2016 Pick

One puck moving defenceman to one shutdown defenceman on each pairing. That's how the successful teams do it these days. Seabrook gives us a mentor to play on the right side and teach Morrow and Theodore how to win in the playoffs. Morrow and Theodore are arguably two of the best left handed young defensive prospects in the NHL right now which is why they would cost us Hamhuis + Sbisa + McCann + 3rd if not more, but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No... McCann is not going anywhere, AND Sbisa who is essentially the same as J. Morrow, just far more proven. And we overpay in the Anaheim deal.

I've already made a Proposal for Hamhuis come the deadline and for Vrbata. The Islanders and Senaors are the only fits I'm quite certain, Islanders wouldn't re-sign him if we Traded him there so we could get him back come Free Agency. They are already in cap trouble, trying to re-sign Nelson while worrying about next year and having respective RFA's and UFA's in Okposo, R. Strome, Nielsen, Grabner, Cizikas, and M. Martin. I can tell you your not getting Pulock at all for Hamhuis. And the Stars would quickly deny if you asked for Honka. Why does Dallas need Hamhuis or D at all? Patrik Nemeth is healthy now and is a very large and physical shutdown D-man who's ready to help the Stars in a bigger role, Oleksiak is on the verge, like Corrado with us. And once again, Anaheim is NOT trading Theodore for Hamhuis, they wouldn't give up him for Hamhuis, they don't need anymore D, they're set. It would be more like Montour and a 2nd.

Goligoski-Klingberg

Oduya-Demers

Jokypakka-Jo. Benn

Nemeth

Oleksiak/Honka

Fowler-Lindholm

Vatanen-Bieksa

Stoner-Despres

Holzer, Manson/S. O'Brien

TBH your delusional if you dont think Anaheim would Slot Hamhuis in over Stoner and Despres, and move Bieksa to the bottom pairing. Anaheim has Larsson, Petterson, Montour, Theodore and Thompson as D prospects, With Linholm, Fowler, Vatenen and Despres in the NHL as young Dman. If trading Theodore for Hamhuis in some sort of deal ment giving them a better shot to win the cup they 100% would be willing to work out a deal. there is only so much room on a roster for young Dman, Theodore is NHL ready and they have no room or him.

Again with Dallas if they are serious about a playoff spot Hamhuis would slot in above Benn and Jokypakka an maybe even Demers.

Just because teams have set line does not mean they are not going to look to upgrade them if they can.Its all hypothetical right now. Dallas can have a great D line up now, But if 1 or 2 players has a $&!#ty year and Hamhuis has a great one, well then anything could look possible. As well Hamhuis is not going to waive to go to the Eastern conference. So Ottawa trade will never happen

TBH your delusional if you dont think Anaheim would Slot Hamhuis in over Stoner and Despres, and move Bieksa to the bottom pairing. Anaheim has Larsson, Petterson, Montour, Theodore and Thompson as D prospects, With Linholm, Fowler, Vatenen and Despres in the NHL as young Dman. If trading Theodore for Hamhuis in some sort of deal ment giving them a better shot to win the cup they 100% would be willing to work out a deal. there is only so much room on a roster for young Dman, Theodore is NHL ready and they have no room or him.

Again with Dallas if they are serious about a playoff spot Hamhuis would slot in above Benn and Jokypakka an maybe even Demers.

Just because teams have set line does not mean they are not going to look to upgrade them if they can.Its all hypothetical right now. Dallas can have a great D line up now, But if 1 or 2 players has a crapty year and Hamhuis has a great one, well then anything could look possible. As well Hamhuis is not going to waive to go to the Eastern conference. So Ottawa trade will never happen

Dallas has been waiting to get Jokypakka and Nemeth in the line-up for a while. They finally got Klingberg into a top role last season. Plus they added Johns and Oleksiak is close, why would they scratch Demers??? He's younger and has good play off experience already, and I think YOU are delusional if you think the Canucks are going to send two top four D-men to a divisonal rival in a span of less than a year. The Ducks can find a cheaper option, they would want to.

With the trading away of "my favourite, that great Canadian kid Bieska", Hamhuis is needed to anchor our D. Also, he's still pretty darn good. Only way he gets traded at the deadline is if we're well out of the playoffs, IMO.

I want us to get more picks for the 2016 draft as much as anyone, but Hammer deserves more respect than that.

Yeah, I definitely agree about keeping Hamhuis because he's a leader here. He should, in my opinion, retire as a Canuck... but if I were going to trade him, it'd be somewhere where he could win the Cup. Los Angeles is the best option, for the coming season at least. New York? Well in a couple seasons, we'll see.

Archived