The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Dan Hamhuis

Much like Bieksa, I wish Hamuis was the same as he was 3 years ago. At this point, he has had too many injuries and it shows because he falls down too often and cannot withstand physical play (see LA series where he fell down and Stoll scores the winner).

Getting Hamhuis elevated us to that next level, but at this point he is a player who can provide with the greatest value for our rebuild. If Sekera could get a 1st rounder, I am sure Hammer can do the same. Trade him and then resign him in the offseason, we have to be smart here and get value and not fall victim to nostalgia.

10 goals in 3 seasons, averaging 25 points per season is something that can be replaced quite easily. He is more of a quiet leader, unlike Juice who was the only one to stick up to ferklund last year, so I do not believe that will be that big of a loss there either.

If Benning trades Hamhuis for anything but a defenseman this team would be in serious trouble. Hamhuis needs to be either re-signed or traded at the deadline if they can't re-sign him to a contender for draft picks(s) and or defense prospects. Hopefully we will re-sign him as we don't have the depth or close to the depth D. Lucic is likely coming to Vancouver this summer anyways, he more or less told the media that playing for Vancouver was one of his dreams and Benning already tried to get him once so.....

They can't afford to lose him honestly. Our D would look scary without Hamhuis .They have to try and re-sign him.

They could get him at a similar hometown discount contract which would benefit us more in the off-season than paying market price for a UFA defenseman.

We would have more cap to spend in FA.

If I were JB and co. I would try to sign Hamhuis sooner rather then later and be done with it.

If he asks for too much then trade them.

I wouldn't trade Hamhuis to LA for Lucic...but I would most certainly trade Vrbata for Lucic. Doubt LA would ever make that deal.

That's exactly why I wouldn't make that deal... Los Angeles needs a defenseman, not a forward, least of all Vrbata.

With the trading away of "my favourite, that great Canadian kid Bieska", Hamhuis is needed to anchor our D. Also, he's still pretty darn good. Only way he gets traded at the deadline is if we're well out of the playoffs, IMO.

I want us to get more picks for the 2016 draft as much as anyone, but Hammer deserves more respect than that.

^ In nutshell! ^, this!

Honestly I think it is kind of a waste to trade him to LA for Lucic.

Lucic has been vocal in the media about the possibility of signing here next off season, no point in trading an asset in Hamhuis that we can possibly get a young prospect and a pick out of.

I think Hamhuis is a deadline deal.....And these proposals are to teams that i think can use a Veteran Dman, and most likey Hamhuis could be the best Dman available. also using the Sekera deal of McKeowan and a 1st as an outline. As well as Hammer 50% retained.

To Anaheim straight up for Shea Theodore

To Dallas straight up for Julius Honka.......or for Jason Dickinson and a 3rd.

To NYI for Ryan Pulock and a 2nd.

To Columbus In any deal involving one of Kerby Rychel or Oliver Bjorkstrand

Like I said all trade may need tweaking but adding a piece on either side could get them done.

Anaheim made moves and added Stewart, Santorelli, Hagelin and Horcoff up front there Back end is still young and could use some playoff experience.

Dallas went out and got Sharp for there top line as well as securing Niemi giving a solid tandem in net. There weak spot IMO has to be there back end. This could also be a team that could look at adding Vrbata at a deadline to play with Spezza and Nishushkin and bump Hemsky to the 3rd line.

NYI has one of the youngest and best forward groups in the NHL, if Halak plays like he did last year no question they are a top team in the east again. Having Boychuk, Leddy, Hamonic and Hamhuis as your top 4 D seems like a solid group rounded out by De Hann and Strait.

Columbus again is a team like Dallas they made moves and got Brandon Sadd, they were pushing for the playoffs last year but personally I think injuries and there Blue line slowed them down. They could look to improve depending on where they are at come playoffs.

No problem. Yeah Lucic may very well sign here anyway, but my point is Hamhuis... if he's going to be traded or otherwise not re-signed, then he should be traded to Los Angeles, where he has the best chance of winning a Cup.

Anaheim is a contender today, but they are already stocked for blueliners. They won't trade for Hamhuis.

Dallas is on the upsurge, thanks to that trade with Chicago, might work. But will they win within two years if Hamhuis goes there?

New York finally getting their act together, but same question, how much longer until they emerge as a top contender?

Columbus... wake me up when they can contend for the conference finals.

Ideally though, I'd sooner keep Hamhuis and aim to win a Cup while he's here... but realistically that may not happen and there seems to be a camp for his departure.

Lets be honest?

We're not trading one rental UFA for another rental UFA...

:sadno:

Let's be honest... Lucic is not going to be a rental UFA, he'll likely sign here in free agency anyway. That said, I would have asked for someone else in the LA trade, but nobody else fits the Hamhuis price, so might as well be Lucic.

They can't afford to lose him honestly. Our D would look scary without Hamhuis .They have to try and re-sign him.

They could get him at a similar hometown discount contract which would benefit us more in the off-season than paying market price for a UFA defenseman.

We would have more cap to spend in FA.

If I were JB and co. I would try to sign Hamhuis sooner rather then later and be done with it.

If he asks for too much then trade them.

So then trade Burrows and Vrbata and get a blueliner... or just go ahead and sink the standings, draft high, aim for Day or someone like him.

Theyll probably re-sign him because there is no one pushing him out the door on defense. Who's gonna replace him?! Sbisa?! No thank you

He's as good as gone. He's not the player he once was. He has a really hard time dealing with a heavy forecheck. I know he's not, but he looks scared of taking body contact at times.

If we could get a low first or a high second in this coming draft; he's gone.

^My thoughts.

I suspect Hammer will be either be given an extension during the year or (more likely) be re-signed next summer. He'll stabilize things during the growing years and give some valuable leadership to our younger guys.

This is what I'd like to see. If he is traded for a pick or prospect at the deadline, hopefully he comes back in the summer.

I would like to see Hammer stick around, if he was moved at the deadline as a rental, that wouldn't be the worst though.

But, he seems to love being in BC (is from Smithers, owns the PG Cougars), is a very professional player and seems to be a good mentor to young defenseman who play next to him. He's a Canadian Olympian and was part of the SCF team, so he has experience. Besides his injury last year, he's also pretty consistently reliable.

I like the idea of trading vets for futures, like most GMs and fans, and believe it's good asset management, but I personally think the Sedins and Hamhuis are three players that would be helpful in developing all the youth coming up. I would add Jannik Hansen to that mix too, considering how hard he works every game since he was a rookie.

I wouldn't be angry if he was traded in a fair deal, but I personally would like to see him re-signed on another 3-4 year contract.

Let's be honest... Lucic is not going to be a rental UFA, he'll likely sign here in free agency anyway. That said, I would have asked for someone else in the LA trade, but nobody else fits the Hamhuis price, so might as well be Lucic.

OK, lets not only be honest. Lets be practical.

Our forward core, sure it would be aided by Lucic, but is much stronger than our D group. Both our NHL roster and our prospect group.

Its not time to further decimate the D.

Its time to improve the D.

Its also time to recognize we are a building club. Not a competing club. Teams like Edmonton and Calgary, their best acquisitions this summer (McDavid being drafted aside) were solid young players. Especially on D where we don't have a high end or deep prospect group. If we were to trade Hamhuis, or anyone else, lets get younger and improve our D.

Archived